Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

16 hours ago, OT1996 said:

It really is :/ I already took a year off so I didn't want to again and applied to back up programs but don't know what I like besides OT.

Has any of the applicants here done a master's or went into other fields (after undergrad) before applying to OT. I need some insight.

Hey, I took a course-based Masters Kin program this past year after getting waitlisted last year, and got an offer from Alberta OT this time around. While the program seemed to cater more to the thesis-based masters students (since they take some courses too), ultimately you gain some practical experience and professors are definitely more helpful in terms of helping you achieve good grades in the courses. Not sure if the masters programs you applied for are thesis-based, but course-based masters are one year typically, so it fits well with applying for next year if need be.

I would recommend accepting offers in other masters programs in the meantime, it ultimately helped my path to OT. If you get an offer for OT in the next month or so, simply just let the other program you accepted know, bite the bullet on any deposit fee (if there is one) and go to the school you want.

Hope thats helpful.

On 4/30/2020 at 3:05 PM, WaitingOnOT said:

I got a reply from dal OT this morning and they said "we are hoping to have first round of offers out by the first week in May." So we should know soon! 

Do you guys interpret this as the offers being sent out by Sunday, or offers being sent out by the end of the first week of May (May 9th)? 

6 minutes ago, Walrus08 said:

Do you guys interpret this as the offers being sent out by Sunday, or offers being sent out by the end of the first week of May (May 9th)? 

I would say by May 9th but I really think they probably have so many decisions to make with respect to what the program will look like in the Fall (ie., online, in person, half and half, etc) that they probably want to know that info so they can inform people when they send out offers as some people may decline on that basis. Additionally, people coming from OOP may need to do a 2-week quarantine when they get to NS which is another consideration. For that reason, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was still longer and we heard closer to end of May when ORPAS comes out. Hopefully sooner though!

38 minutes ago, NorthernPTapplicant said:

I emailed Dal PT, they still are releasing offers first or second week of May (I take it anytime from May 4-May 17)

Ahhhh I really hope I get in :) I'm currently obsessing and SO READY for grad school :) 

3 hours ago, OT1996 said:

Is McGill doing rolling admissions or something for OT? Has anyone else heard back.

I received no response, which im not sure what that means :(

Similar situation for me with McGill PT. Other people have heard back but mine still says "In Review". Hopefully we find out soon!

4 hours ago, OT06 said:

I know some people that were refused last week for McGill OT. I’m still waiting, I haven’t heard anything yet for myself :( 

Do you think that people who haven't heard back are potentially going to be waitlisted? That's what im thinking...

9 hours ago, OT1996 said:

Do you think that people who haven't heard back are potentially going to be waitlisted? That's what im thinking...

I was thinking that too. But someone on here got a PT acceptance on Monday and another got one for PT a few days later. It seems like they are sending them out in batches, so maybe they are doing the same for OT. I don’t know for sure though :/ 

1 hour ago, OT06 said:

I was thinking that too. But someone on here got a PT acceptance on Monday and another got one for PT a few days later. It seems like they are sending them out in batches, so maybe they are doing the same for OT. I don’t know for sure though :/ 

On the McGill OT Admissions Guide it says May-June the files are ranked and offers to nominate are sent and they accept 35 students. I wonder if they have sent it to the top applicants already and they are waiting for people to decline then they will go down the list and give others offers

22 hours ago, otpt123 said:

I got my acceptance for OT today!

16 hours ago, SoccerGirl27 said:

I received my acceptance as well into the OT program at McGill at 11 AM :D

If you don't mind me asking, are your last names higher up in the alphabet?

On 4/30/2020 at 9:20 PM, OT1996 said:

It really is :/ I already took a year off so I didn't want to again and applied to back up programs but don't know what I like besides OT.

Has any of the applicants here done a master's or went into other fields (after undergrad) before applying to OT. I need some insight.

I'm in OT at uoft right now, tons of students did a master's before! It seems like Uoft likes admitting students who have one. Definitely worth it if you don't get in this round, I also got much stronger references from my masters, but that may also be because my undergrad program was  big.