Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

19 minutes ago, rrxxccooll said:

Does queens has the preference of Ontario applicants ?

None of the Ontario schools have a preference for Ontario applicants. To answer the earlier question about "competitiveness" you can see the amount of applications submitted/ acceptances per school on the Ontario Rehab sciences website (I believe). 2018 stats were as follows: 

Queens: 961 applicants/ 67 seats. 

Western 779 applicants/ 70 seats 

McMaster 1287 applicants/ 67 seats 

UofT 944 applicants/ 100 seats 

1 hour ago, HK2018 said:

None of the Ontario schools have a preference for Ontario applicants. To answer the earlier question about "competitiveness" you can see the amount of applications submitted/ acceptances per school on the Ontario Rehab sciences website (I believe). 2018 stats were as follows: 

Just thought id add Uottawa OT is 109 applied and 40 spots, and uottawa PT is 180 applied and 40 spots. Here is the link (it's in french) https://www.ouac.on.ca/fr/guide/orpas-exigences-de-programme/#ottawa

11 hours ago, HK2018 said:

Anyone know why the Ontario schools accept applicants regardless of their province of residence, yet Dal, UBC, UoA, etc. only take limited OOP applicants? How is this fair for us Ontario residents???? Im honestly pretty pissed about this

7 hours ago, Rehabgirl said:

Anyone know why the Ontario schools accept applicants regardless of their province of residence, yet Dal, UBC, UoA, etc. only take limited OOP applicants? How is this fair for us Ontario residents???? Im honestly pretty pissed about this

Its simply due to the fact Ontario has 5 Physiotherapy schools in the province. Compared to Dal which is the only english Physio school East of Ontario. The reason the provinces with one school in them have reserved seats is to promote students in this area to stay in the province to hopefully end up working afterwards. (many but not all students often get job offers during clinical placements and job exposures in the city/ surrounding area of the school. 

So yes I do believe its fair to hold some seats at the only eastern Canadian school for Atlantic residents. Dal ratios are actually a lot more "fair" compared to Manitboba's for example.

I would say even though Ontario schools don't reserve seats the majority of the cohorts are still from Ontario (this is just from first hand experience though). In my cohort at an Ontario school of the 60 current students only 3 are from atlantic provinces, none from Sask or Manitoba and only a few from Alberta/BC (<10 not sure on exact number) 

This is just one experience at one school but I would be surprised if the number of OOP students exceeded any Ontario residents in Ontario schools. 

14 hours ago, Rehabgirl said:

From what I’ve read last week, I think Western accepts 90% from Ontario and 10% out of province out of 71 seats. The 4 remaining are reserved to indigenous (2) and international students (2).

On 5/22/2020 at 6:02 PM, Future OT Hopeful said:

Hey all - I have a Dal OT question:

I am just completing a prerequisite course, but have not received any emails about admissions from Dal OT. I am an OOP applicant. Should we only send transcripts for prerequisites if we have been accepted or are on the waitlist? Or do you think they'd like us to send transcripts of completed courses regardless of whether we have been sent a decision or not? I emailed their department, but wanted to ask here as well, in case some of you already know the answer :)

Definitely send them your transcripts. If you have outstanding pre-requisites you won't be considered until your courses are done and they have received your transcripts, even if you're doing them at Dal

16 hours ago, Rehabgirl said:

Because Dal OT gets funding from the Atlantic provinces to reserve spots for residents of NB, NL, PEI because they don't have OT schools in their province. It's to ensure residents of those provinces have access to OT education. ON has TONS of OT schools so there is no need for this. Other schools do similar - Manitoba and Saskatchewan, for example. 

Given that 500,000 people in NL have access to 8 spots at Dal, it's really not that big. 

I can't remember if I posted this before too, but at least 50-60% of my class (at Dal OT) were off the waitlist. Some as late as the day classes started in Sept (one girl came to class for a few days before she could officially register because it was so last minute, and moved to Halifax the night before orientation). Apparently in other years people got accepted as late as Sept 10 or so 

So if you're on the Dal waitlist - don't give up hope! A lot of people from OOP apply to Dal as a backup and then when they get into schools elsewhere their spot opens up. Good luck! Once people get in if you have specific questions about Dal OT you can pm me

Edit: although if it's about specific curriculum stuff.. they did a curriculum overhaul after my year so stuff is a bit different AND covid-19 is changing stuff around, so might not be able to give you too many specifics about it. But I would be prepared to move to Halifax in Sept, I believe the 2nd years are still having part-time classes in person and the rest online so yours may be similar. 

2 hours ago, NBPTPT said:

From what I’ve read last week, I think Western accepts 90% from Ontario and 10% out of province out of 71 seats. The 4 remaining are reserved to indigenous (2) and international students (2).

Do you have the link to this source that you read last week? I haven't seen anything on Western's website about the 90/10 split.

Hey all, new here as well! Congrats to those that got into their schools! 

I was accepted for PT @ UofS 

& Was waitlisted for PT @ UofA. I thought I would hop on here to see if anyone has any idea of how much the UofA waitlist moves, and if anyone has had success with getting off the waitlist yet this year? 

On 5/22/2020 at 1:52 PM, FuturePT2020 said:

I'd imagine they are trying to fill or almost entirely fill the quotas before moving on to the rest of the seats. I do not know this for sure though, I'm just speculating. 

I know for PT we have until the 29th of May to make a decision, so as they hear back from some of the applicants they will know where they are in the quotas. That is the same date that the ORPAS releases PT & OT admissions so I'd imagine most movement will occur after the ontario schools release their admissions. 

I'm OOP and have been accepted to Dal PT. Not a chance I accept if I get into any of the Ontario schools (closer to home and Dal seems like a mess). Hopefully the waitlist will get to move down 1 for you OOP folks.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say good luck to everyone who applied to Ontario schools for this week! It's the week we have all been waiting for and to have made it this far in your educational journey is already a big accomplishment, so be proud regardless. If you don't get in this year, just keep trying and hopefully next year will be your year!

13 hours ago, healthhannah said:

Just to confirm- has anyone in other provinces other than Atlantic provinces heard back from Dal OT? I haven't heard anything yet. 

I'm non-Atlantic and I haven't. But it seems some OOP people have heard for Dal PT.

I feel like they should atleast tell us if we're waitlisted, this weird hanging around is getting frustrating as its nearing June now.

For those of you who heard from Dal and McGill OT did they send an email directly to you or did you have to log into your account and check? 

14 minutes ago, OT1996 said:

I'm non-Atlantic and I haven't. But it seems some OOP people have heard for Dal PT.

I feel like they should atleast tell us if we're waitlisted, this weird hanging around is getting frustrating as its nearing June now.

For those of you who heard from Dal and McGill OT did they send an email directly to you or did you have to log into your account and check? 

I got an email. I think that they may be waiting to see how many people decline from the first round of acceptances (ends June 4th) before releasing the waitlist so that they don’t make it too short

2 minutes ago, OTHopes97 said:

I got an email. I think that they may be waiting to see how many people decline from the first round of acceptances (ends June 4th) before releasing the waitlist so that they don’t make it too short

Is this for dal or mcgill?

On 5/23/2020 at 9:14 PM, Rehabgirl said:

This is actually not the case for U of A anymore. If you check the FAQ on their website, under the question "Are there any restrictions on applicants from other provinces?" this is the response: 

There are no limits placed on applications from other provinces. All applicants from across Canada and other countries are reviewed together and will compete for the 120 spaces. However, 15 of those spaces are reserved for residents of Saskatchewan.

Which makes since because Saskatchewan does not have an OT program, and those 15 students admitted are required to do their practicums in Saskatchewan, which as HK2018 mentioned is to promote Sask students to work in the province after graduating.