Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

50 minutes ago, maybePT said:

BC resident. My GPA was around 3.9/4.33 ish (with a 4.0 being straight A's)

Congratulations! I also just got my acceptance! I was wondering if you know whether or not it's possible to accept the offer at this time, but then choose to decline at a later date? Just asking because I live out in Toronto and if I got accepted here I would prefer not having to move. That said, Ontario schools don't decide until Mid-late May so the April 25 due date for a response is kind of stressing me out.

Once again, congratulations on your offer!

How did the MMI go for everyone who applied to McMaster OT? Its frustrating that they changed the date for acceptances to May 29...

Btw, for those that received an interview invite for Manitoba OT how are you preparing. Its only 15 mins and Im wondering what type of questions they will ask. Their PDF document doesnt have much info.

1 hour ago, OT1996 said:

How did the MMI go for everyone who applied to McMaster OT? Its frustrating that they changed the date for acceptances to May 29...

Btw, for those that received an interview invite for Manitoba OT how are you preparing. Its only 15 mins and Im wondering what type of questions they will ask. Their PDF document doesnt have much info.

I did a lot of preparation for my previous OT interview so I’m going based off that. Typical interview questions: why I want to study OT, strengths, weaknesses, experiences I have. They’re going to want to get to know us in minimal time so I think that will be the expectation. They might also give situational examples as well (what would you do if...). Also why were interested in U of M specifically. 

For those who also expressed interest in the Northern Corhort UBC PT program, how do you know if you've been accepted for the Point Grey Campus and/or Prince George campus? I received two acceptance letters (first one was a general acceptance into the MPT program at UBC and second email was from UBC MPT for the Northern Cohort). Wondering if I was only accepted for the Northern Cohort or if I have the option to choose?

16 hours ago, OT1996 said:

I really struggled with McMaster’s OT MMI! I’m fully expecting a rejection, but I’m glad I had the opportunity to learn more about the process this year. I hope the MMI went better for other applicants! 

On 3/30/2020 at 10:58 AM, IslandPTgal said:

update on dal:

so they did not decide much really...which is super frustrating because they didn't even give a timeline on when to hear back; also did not mention anything about if they are getting rid of interview all together or using alternative methods. My questions are not answered and I am not satisfied lol. 

Currently finishing my undergrad at Dal, and this checks out hahah

Applied (PT): McMaster (interview complete), Toronto (CAP invitation), Mcgill, Western, Dalhousie, Queens
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa (3.85) and s-gpa (3.91) according to ORPAS
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Volunteer experience and references were key for my application. Essays and interviews are well done, however, not my strong suit. 

5 hours ago, OThopesdreams said:

I really struggled with McMaster’s OT MMI! I’m fully expecting a rejection, but I’m glad I had the opportunity to learn more about the process this year. I hope the MMI went better for other applicants! 

Same here :( The questions were formatted nothing like what I prepped for/ based off another mmi i did for another program. Also, I couldnt make my answer last the full 6 mins for alot of them.

22 hours ago, OT1996 said:

Hey! I did the McMaster OT MMI and I think it went okay! I messed up on one question and rambled on another but I hope it was okay! Super stressful situation regardless.

Hi Everyone, So I have an email that says I'm wait listed for the MPT North Program at UBC. From my understanding there are separate emails that come for both North and UBC. I haven't received an Email for UBC, only UBC North. Does this mean I am wait listed for North only and will not be receiving a UBC email being that I made Seat 80-100 but not 1-80? I'm confused on how the system works. Any help would be great thanks!

1 hour ago, toPTornottoPT said:

Hi Everyone, So I have an email that says I'm wait listed for the MPT North Program at UBC. From my understanding there are separate emails that come for both North and UBC. I haven't received an Email for UBC, only UBC North. Does this mean I am wait listed for North only and will not be receiving a UBC email being that I made Seat 80-100 but not 1-80? I'm confused on how the system works. Any help would be great thanks!

I've been wondering the same thing too. In the FAQs of the MPT website they say that expressing interest in the Northern Cohort program does not preclude you from being considered in the Vancouver campus, and that in order to be considered for Northern you would have to be accepted in the MPT program first (not sure about the waitlist situation). I also read somewhere that saying yes or no to being interested in Northern does not put you at an advantage/disadvantage when it comes to getting into the MPT program. This statement does not make sense to me, I believe that expressing interest does put you at an advantage in terms of just getting in that year because I believe that more than 80% of the people regardless of what they say on their application want to go to the Point Grey campus rather than Prince George, leaving potentially more spots for those who expressed interest in Northern.

So the question is if someone is accepted into the program, when and how will they find out if they are given the choice of going to Vancouver or Northern because accepting the offer does not specify anything in terms of primary location. And how will UBC handle matters if less than 20/100 people choose to go to Northern and have over 80 people choosing Vancouver as their primary choice? Will they start picking people out and moving them to Northern, or give waitlisted applicants (like you) who expressed interest in joining Northern to go to Northern if they gain a spot in the MPT program and not bring in waitlisted individuals who did not express interest in that cohort?

Also, the first email I got from UBC was from the graduate address, stating that I got into the MPT program. The second email I got from UBC was from the UBC PT department saying that I got into the Northern Cohort program. I'm a bit confused with the situation and would also like to find out more information but glad that I was accepted regardless.