Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
ptmandem

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, IslandPTgal said:

do you guys think that programs may be online in the fall? Because it seems as if the covid-19 is going to be ongoing throughout the summer and into the fall, if not longer...I am just curious to see what will happen with schools

If it helps I'm currently in PT school and the current plan is to be online until mid/late July at the earliest. Like what has already been said the curriculum has simply adjusted to being online and we will learn the more hands on skills the we were supposed to be learning right now when we return in a "boot camp" style. Both cohorts end dates have actually been extended by a few months to accommodate for all the changes. I wouldn't worry about not getting taught any of the material or anything, the schools will adjust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020 at 7:08 PM, OT202024 said:

Does anyone have any idea based on last year when U of A sends out their letters? I'm sorry if someone else has already asked this!! I applied to Dal, McGill, and U of A so still waiting on responses, and then I was waitlisted for McMaster but didn't end up getting an interview sadly.

I received my letter of acceptance to U of A's OT program on April 12th last year. I could see it happening later this year due to Covid 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020 at 2:25 PM, OT1996 said:

Anyone know how many applications Dal receives for OT and how many out of province they accept? Also, I was looking at the forum from last year and it seems around this time people started hearing back from Dal and McGill... I know someone said we will hear back end of April for Dal, but does anyone know about McGill?

Also, I'm interested in knowing what people's backups are if they don't get in this time around. I have already taken a year off this year and I am 24 (feeling kind of old!). I don't want to take next year off and I want to start a career so I applied to backup programs but tbh I have no idea what I would want to do besides OT. We won't hear back until May 29 for Ontario schools and a lot of the other programs I applied to want me to accept the offer or put down a deposit way before then. Is anyone else in the same dilemma? :( 

I’m in a similar situation! I’m 23 and also want to get a start on my career as soon as possible! If I don’t get in this year then I’m going to do OTA at my local community college and just keep applying for masters until I get in somewhere. And I’ll probably apply for international schools as well next year if need be. Best of luck to you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if anyone have an update from uofa on how much the casper is going to weight in the admission score. I have emailed them one and half weeks ago, they didnt have anything back then, wonder if there is an update. thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what the job market is like in Ontario for OTA/PTA diploma graduates? The college grad reports don't seem too promising and I don't see many job postings ... not sure if that is anything to go by. Considering applying as a backup, it may be better than waiting for the next application cycle. Sadly can't do a lot to improve my application (ex. getting more experience) in this lockdown :( I also heard that OTs are becoming more of a consultative role and the OTAs get to do more of the hands-on, is this true? The OTA role might even be more more appealing in that case... :blink:

Also to the 23 and 24 year-olds, don't feel bad! 27 and still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up lol ;) (and I'm sure I'm not alone!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newtoOT said:

Does anyone know what the job market is like in Ontario for OTA/PTA diploma graduates? The college grad reports don't seem too promising and I don't see many job postings ... not sure if that is anything to go by. Considering applying as a backup, it may be better than waiting for the next application cycle. Sadly can't do a lot to improve my application (ex. getting more experience) in this lockdown :( I also heard that OTs are becoming more of a consultative role and the OTAs get to do more of the hands-on, is this true? The OTA role might even be more more appealing in that case... :blink:

Also to the 23 and 24 year-olds, don't feel bad! 27 and still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up lol ;) (and I'm sure I'm not alone!)

I'm an OTA/PTA graduate and most of my classmates are working in hospitals or physiotherapy clinics. Job prospects are better in large cities where there's a lot of hospitals and rehab centers! And once you are in the program, more job postings become available to you, as some organizations reach out to the program directly instead of posting the jobs online. And some of my classmates were offered jobs from their field placements.

OTAs are definitely very hands on, in my experience the OT does the assessment and makes a treatment plan and the OTA carries out the treatment.

Hope this helps :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, newtoOT said:

Does anyone know what the job market is like in Ontario for OTA/PTA diploma graduates? The college grad reports don't seem too promising and I don't see many job postings ... not sure if that is anything to go by. Considering applying as a backup, it may be better than waiting for the next application cycle. Sadly can't do a lot to improve my application (ex. getting more experience) in this lockdown :( I also heard that OTs are becoming more of a consultative role and the OTAs get to do more of the hands-on, is this true? The OTA role might even be more more appealing in that case... :blink:

Also to the 23 and 24 year-olds, don't feel bad! 27 and still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up lol ;) (and I'm sure I'm not alone!)

I also would like to know. I got into the OTA/PTA program at centennial college but I want to know the job prospects and earnings. Most of the ads I saw said something like $20 an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otmeal said:

I'm an OTA/PTA graduate and most of my classmates are working in hospitals or physiotherapy clinics. Job prospects are better in large cities where there's a lot of hospitals and rehab centers! And once you are in the program, more job postings become available to you, as some organizations reach out to the program directly instead of posting the jobs online. And some of my classmates were offered jobs from their field placements.

OTAs are definitely very hands on, in my experience the OT does the assessment and makes a treatment plan and the OTA carries out the treatment.

Hope this helps :)

Hey, I got into an OTA/PTA program. Since the program is 2 years I am debating whether it would be better to do the diploma or a research based masters (if I don't get into OT). Do you mind if I PM you as I had some further questions about the OTA/PTA field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OT1996 said:

Hey, I got into an OTA/PTA program. Since the program is 2 years I am debating whether it would be better to do the diploma or a research based masters (if I don't get into OT). Do you mind if I PM you as I had some further questions about the OTA/PTA field?

Sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Otmeal said:

I'm an OTA/PTA graduate and most of my classmates are working in hospitals or physiotherapy clinics. Job prospects are better in large cities where there's a lot of hospitals and rehab centers! And once you are in the program, more job postings become available to you, as some organizations reach out to the program directly instead of posting the jobs online. And some of my classmates were offered jobs from their field placements.

OTAs are definitely very hands on, in my experience the OT does the assessment and makes a treatment plan and the OTA carries out the treatment.

Hope this helps :)

I'm also an OTA/PTA graduate and I definitely agree with everything in this reply!

I would also add that the comparison of OT/OTA hands-on work really depends on the practice setting and even betweeen institutions. It can even vary depending on which OT or PT you're working with on the day. But yes, in general it's quite a hands-on position. In some ways, you get to do the "fun" parts of rehab as an OTA/PTA without being subjected to the same licensing and legal responsibilities that an OT or PT takes on.

Also, pay in my labour market (BC) seems to be between $24-30/hour (+benefits) depending on the practice setting which is quite good for a 2 year program. Also, it's been quite easy to bridge the diploma into a degree. Myself and other former OTA/PTA classmates have gone on to complete the Bachelor of Health Science or General Studies degrees online from TRU but I think there are other programs available.

Also! I started PTA/OTA school at 27 and there were tons of people my age (and older!) in my program. I had been worried about being "too old" but once I was in the program I found it to be a huge asset as I brought my own unique life experiences which helped me with building therapeutic relationships with clients. Now I'm 31 and applying to PT school while feeling like I have all the time in the world :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 2:09 PM, MPTUBC said:

Has anyone got a rejection email from UBC PT yet? Acceptances were sent out last Monday and I still haven’t heard back yet. 

I still haven’t heard back yet.... anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AhhhhGLPT said:

lol nope

ahh. At least it’s not just me...? If offers have been sent out, do you know if we are waiting for them to be accepted/declined before being waitlisted or rejected? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OT202024 said:

I did for OT! But I haven't heard anything yet.

Oh okay!! Can you let me know if they do? I've been stressing so much for this and I don't know that many people that applied to McGill so i wasn't able to get much information ahaha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SoccerGirl27 said:

Oh okay!! Can you let me know if they do? I've been stressing so much for this and I don't know that many people that applied to McGill so i wasn't able to get much information ahaha 

Oh me too!!! I'm also in the same boat so its stressful for sure. I just want to know at this point :( I'll let you know once I hear anything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OT202024 said:

Oh me too!!! I'm also in the same boat so its stressful for sure. I just want to know at this point :( I'll let you know once I hear anything!

Thanks so much!! I'll do the same on my part. Good luck to you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SoccerGirl27 said:

Did anyone try applying to McGill PT/OT? If so, did anyone hear back?

Hi there! I also applied for McGill OT this year. I applied last year but was rejected. I heard back from them on April 25th last year if this gives you an idea. I also saw others who heard back as soon as April 16th last year on older posts on this forum.  Good luck :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, believeinOT2019 said:

Hi there! I also applied for McGill OT this year. I applied last year but was rejected. I heard back from them on April 25th last year if this gives you an idea. I also saw others who heard back as soon as April 16th last year on older posts on this forum.  Good luck :)

Oh okay wow thats sooner than I was expecting, thank you so much!! I hope you luck out this year :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PTwishing20 said:

ahh. At least it’s not just me...? If offers have been sent out, do you know if we are waiting for them to be accepted/declined before being waitlisted or rejected? 

I’m in the same boat, if I’m not mistaken I’m pretty sure they finished sending out waitlists that same week they sent the acceptances. I’m thinking they maybe be waiting for the acceptances to respond before telling/rejecting us, but who knows. Everything’s a bit messed up this year with the pandemic going on it seems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...