Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

7 minutes ago, nekobeans said:

I'm on the waitlist for University of Alberta! Got declined from UBC (interview went poorly imo), so fingers crossed! My GPA is around 85%. I have 4 years of experience working with children with disabilities and ~6mos with adults with disabilities. 

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! When did you hear back?

1 hour ago, klunksot said:

Wow congrats to the U of A OT applicants getting accepted! Did you receive acceptance under the @ualberta email or the email that you applied with for your application? What did your GPA and experience look like?

I received my acceptance through both my UofA and personal email at 1:16pm today. My Overall GPA was 3.74 from my Bachelor of Science Honours Degree. I had lots of research experience as well as volunteering experience with Canucks Autism Network, an outdoor adaptive adventure program, and working at a summer camp for children with disabilities. I have other volunteer experience that wasn't strictly related to OT as well (youth groups, etc). Hope that helps! 

25 minutes ago, Walrus08 said:

Accepted to U of A OT! Is anyone else stressed about having to possibly accept before hearing back from Ontario schools? At least the $175 deposit isn't too bad...

I decided to just accept the offer and pay the deposit! I figured losing a $175 deposit isn't the end of the world! 

On 4/21/2020 at 6:48 PM, OTPLEASE2382 said:

hey! im from out of province as well, so i feel you we're on the same boat, definately nervous about it too! Do you know how many OOP they have for Dal OT?

I wasn't sure as I'm only applying for PT, but I looked on their (Dal OT) website and saw this: 

"Enrolment in the MSc(OT) - Entry Level program is typically 66 students per year. As we are the only School of Occupational Therapy in Atlantic Canada places are held for residents of Atlantic Canada."

On 4/8/2020 at 6:55 PM, OT1996 said:

Anyone know how many applications Dal receives for OT and how many out of province they accept? Also, I was looking at the forum from last year and it seems around this time people started hearing back from Dal and McGill... I know someone said we will hear back end of April for Dal, but does anyone know about McGill?

Also, I'm interested in knowing what people's backups are if they don't get in this time around. I have already taken a year off this year and I am 24 (feeling kind of old!). I don't want to take next year off and I want to start a career so I applied to backup programs but tbh I have no idea what I would want to do besides OT. We won't hear back until May 29 for Ontario schools and a lot of the other programs I applied to want me to accept the offer or put down a deposit way before then. Is anyone else in the same dilemma? :( 

Dal - They used to have more seats for out of province, but I believe it's now only 15 or so out of 66. 

It used to be 8 NL, 12 NB, 4(?) PEI and 20 NS?...around there. They doubled most of them this year. Used to be about 30 so from out of province now only 15. 

In terms of number of apps I don't know. I got into dal when I was 29 so don't feel old!

On 4/10/2020 at 5:06 PM, kinestudent23 said:

What were the dates last year that applicants heard back from Dal? Early May is very vague...

for PT or OT?

As OT I heard back early May. In my year some people started hearing mid-march, but that wasn't covid times. I was doing the prereqs and they wait until your final grades are released. Then you should hear within 2 weeks of that. If you don't hear by mid May I'd give them a call

56 minutes ago, OTprogramhopeful said:

I just received notice that I am on the waitlist at UofA OT.  Does anyone know if they will tell me where I am on the waitlist? Is there any chance to get in to the program if you are on the waitlist.  

Apparently you can email them and they will tell you if you are in the upper or lower half. From this forum it seems like the waitlist moves quite a bit. Good luck!

21 minutes ago, peppermintglow said:

Dal - They used to have more seats for out of province, but I believe it's now only 15 or so out of 66. 

It used to be 8 NL, 12 NB, 4(?) PEI and 20 NS?...around there. They doubled most of them this year. Used to be about 30 so from out of province now only 15. 

In terms of number of apps I don't know. I got into dal when I was 29 so don't feel old!

Hey, where were you able to find the seat allocations?? I’m getting increasingly anxious as the days go by!

2 hours ago, OT202024 said:

I also got accepted into U of A today! Congrats to everyone that got the good news!! :) 

Hey! congratulations! i also got accepted into u of a today too! :)

Do you know if we need to submit our transcripts by a certain day? or just sending the deposit and signed document through mail is enough?

For some reason, I checked bear tracks and it still says pending but I've received an email of acceptance. Not sure if it is conditional or official because all it says in the email is that I have been admitted.

1 hour ago, OTPLEASE2382 said:

Do you know if we need to submit our transcripts by a certain day? or just sending the deposit and signed document through mail is enough?

For some reason, I checked bear tracks and it still says pending but I've received an email of acceptance. Not sure if it is conditional or official because all it says in the email is that I have been admitted.

The online GARS system takes awhile to update and beartracks will lag by a day or two as well so don’t stress over that! Your email is official :) 

As for the transcript I believe it’s by December 31 (if you’re referring to the one graduate studies faculty requires) but the sooner the better because I had friends who waited and it was stressful to get the documents closer to the date!

Congrats to everyone who got in and to those waitlisted just know it usually moves by around half and people in my year got in until practically orientation. 

4 hours ago, OTPLEASE2382 said:

Congrats on getting in!

According to the website: "Applicants who have been placed on the waitlist are required to submit official transcripts showing any outstanding winter/spring grades, prerequisite courses, or degree completion to the department by June 30th of the admission year. These documents must be emailed as PDF's to mscot@ualberta.ca. Applicants who do not complete this requirement by June 30th will be removed from the waitlist."

If you need transcripts in by June 30th for waitlisted applicants, I imagine its the same or sooner for non-waitlisted. 

I was accepted into the University of Alberta's OT program yesterday around 7:00PM Local time (I am a Saskatchewan resident). Just wanted to let the Sask cohort  know that some offers have already been made. 

For context, my University of Saskatchewan UAA was around 83%. I have four years experience working with people on the Autism Spectrum as well as a summer working in occupational health and safety, and numerous volunteer experiences. I am in the process of completing a Master's in Anatomy. 

Excited for this oppurtunity!

Got waitlisted for UofA yesterday. Emailed them yesterday and got a response today that I'm in the upper half of the waiting list, so there's still hope! 

First time applicant, just finished my undergrad in elementary education, s-gpa is 3.74. Have about 3 years experience working with children with Autism. Not sure how my academic reference went, but my personal reference was written by an OT that I've worked with and have gotten close with over the past 3 years . Definitely felt like I did extremely terribly on my casper test though. 

2 hours ago, ot97 said:

Got waitlisted for UofA yesterday. Emailed them yesterday and got a response today that I'm in the upper half of the waiting list, so there's still hope! 

First time applicant, just finished my undergrad in elementary education, s-gpa is 3.74. Have about 3 years experience working with children with Autism. Not sure how my academic reference went, but my personal reference was written by an OT that I've worked with and have gotten close with over the past 3 years . Definitely felt like I did extremely terribly on my casper test though. 

We were told the Casper test isn’t actually used in ranking applications yet for u of a OT and it’s currently being used to gather data to see if it can predict if admitted students do well or not do don’t stress too much for that.  

3 minutes ago, OThopefully said:

We were told the Casper test isn’t actually used in ranking applications yet for u of a OT and it’s currently being used to gather data to see if it can predict if admitted students do well or not do don’t stress too much for that.  

Oh really? Wow. I wish I would have known that before I took the Casper, I wouldn't have stressed so much over it. 

Hi guys, does anyone know if accepting Alberta's offer for OT affect decisions for schools I applied for in ORPAS (Ontario schools?) I didn't expect the deadline to accept Alberta's offer to be so soon, but I wanna save a spot just in case I don't get into any other programs. 

5 hours ago, ot97 said:

What made you think you did terribly on the CASPer? I feel like, given the time, limit it was impossible to feel like you weren’t just getting all you could down, lol. Most of the questions I felt like there was so much more I wanted to say but couldn’t because the time was so strict.