Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

On 12/27/2019 at 3:17 PM, PTOTHOPEFUL said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dal (PT/OT), McMaster (PT/OT), UofT (PT), UofO (PT/OT), Western (PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa = 3.7 and s-gpa - 3.91 (pretty sure I did these calculations correctly, did you guys receive these calculations from ORPAS or just calculated them yourself?)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

-References are professors that I have strong professional relationships with, one is a Dal alumni (not sure if that makes a difference). One is my honours supervisor (honours to do with physical movement and embodied cognition), one is a professor that I TAed for in an advanced neuro course in which the TA positions are normally reserved for graduate students. 

- Haven't completed my essay for Western, however, I will mention my extensive community involvement including coaching and officiating basketball, planning two conferences one to do with mental health and the second concerned with encouraging young women to participate in sport. I will also mention my work as a PTA in a private clinic as well as my volunteer work at a well known rehabilitation facility in the province. My mother is also a physiotherapist so I will most definitely mention the fact that I basically grew up in a clinic and that I often shadow her at work whenever I get a chance (do you guys think this is worth a mention?).

Hey I saw you applied to Ottawa! Did you write the french test for your language exam if so how did you study for it? I am writing mine next week!

Applied + (PT or OT?): All OT- Queens, Western, McMaster, UofT (PT and OT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa

3.35 cgpa and 3.58 s-gpa

this was calculated ALOT lower than I expected due to the calculation considering the average of 2nd year grades as a total (bad year for me)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

i feel as though my essays and resume are pretty solid,  I’m a good writer and I have 2 years of experience in the OT field shadowing, working with OTs and OTAs with children, older adults, both helping and running programs myself. I’m dissapointed in what my gpa was calculated as but I’m still holding out hope!!!

Applied + (PT or OT?): All OT- Western, McMaster, UofT 
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: 2.95 c-gpa and 3.59 s-gpa

(my Sub-GPA was calculated much lower than I intended, as they took an average of my grades from a semester in 2018 unfortunately. I'm a realistic person, and while I'm pretty positive I won't be getting in for Sept 2020, I'll excited to apply again next year with my Winter 2020 grades bumping out my terrible 2018 grades)

Have plenty of relevant experience: currently work as a Recreational Therapist where I create and lead recreational therapy group programs and 1:1 therapy; Work along side a Team Canada athletic trainer and shadow physio appointments with athletes; many volunteer positions: text-line crisis responder; art therapy program support, drug cessation group therapy assistant, OT office assistant, special education classroom assistant. 

Applied (all OT): UofT, McMaster, Queens, Western 

Accepted: Queens

Waitlisted: Western, UofT

Rejected: Mac

cPGA: 3.6, sGPA: 3.76

Perceived strength of essays/interview/references: I have completed 2 field placements through my Undergraduate program, one at an IBI clinic working with children with ASD, the other in a school setting working with youth and young adults with various cognitive and physical differences. Currently working as an instructor therapist/respite worker at an ABA clinic for clients with ASD/various differences. I am completing a research project under an OT at McMaster completing a scoping review. I have extensive volunteer experience with services and clubs, providing peer support to students and raising over $110,000 for the Canadian Cancer Society. I feel like my personal statements were okaaaaaaay, I had quite a few people read them over!! One of my references was from the OT I am completing research under, the other from the clinical director at the clinic I work at. Slightly worried about my GPA, but I am hopeful :) Best of luck everyone - you got this :)

On 2/2/2020 at 2:30 PM, XKIN2019 said:

Hey I saw you applied to Ottawa! Did you write the french test for your language exam if so how did you study for it? I am writing mine next week!

Hey! I'm writing mine next week as well! I have been listening to french podcasts for the listening passages section, I am pretty confident in reading and speaking so I am just speaking french whenever possible for those sections. I am reviewing some french grammar for the written expression piece. How have you been going about it? I can't find much info on it, like whether or not we can relisten to the passages or if our responses are timed.

59 minutes ago, Hopefullypositive said:

Hello all!, 

Has anyone heard from UBC regarding interviews? Invites/rejections?

https://physicaltherapy.med.ubc.ca/prospective-students-2/mpt-admissions/welcome-and-timeline/

I guess near the end of feb invites will be sent out, but think last year they were sent out in mid feb as per last years premed forum discussions. 

3 hours ago, PT2020applicant said:

https://physicaltherapy.med.ubc.ca/prospective-students-2/mpt-admissions/welcome-and-timeline/

I guess near the end of feb invites will be sent out, but think last year they were sent out in mid feb as per last years premed forum discussions. 

We heard last year at on Friday Feb 15th at around noon. I say friday and the 15th because halfway through feb and at the end of the week might be significant. We ended up hearing about acceptance on Friday April 12th at around 2pm. 

Good luck to everyone applying! Know that the program is amazing and worth the battle to get in :).

Applied: UBC (northern cohort), Western, McMaster, UofT, Queens

accepted:

waitlisted:

rejected:

cGPA: 3.18 sGPA: 3.93 (ORPAS official)
 Perceived strengths

-2600 hours as ministry wildland firefighter first aid attendant

-worked 360 hours as a physiotherapy intern in Spain full time last summer applying treatments supervising patient exercises ect in patient and outpatient settings

-2 years coaching my local special Olympics BC cross country skiing team

-2 years playing and volunteering for my local Wheelchair Rugby team

-4 years coaching a junior skiing program for 6/7 year olds

-5 years volunteering at my local soup kitchen for 600hours

Question for you guys, has UBC contacted any of your listed contacts to confirm your hours yet?

Thanks, and best of luck to all!

1 hour ago, PTvibes said:

Applied: UBC (northern cohort), Western, McMaster, UofT, Queens

accepted:

waitlisted:

rejected:

cGPA: 3.18 sGPA: 3.93 (ORPAS official)
 Perceived strengths

-2600 hours as ministry wildland firefighter first aid attendant

-worked 360 hours as a physiotherapy intern in Spain full time last summer applying treatments supervising patient exercises ect in patient and outpatient settings

-2 years coaching my local special Olympics BC cross country skiing team

-2 years playing and volunteering for my local Wheelchair Rugby team

-4 years coaching a junior skiing program for 6/7 year olds

-5 years volunteering at my local soup kitchen for 600hours

Question for you guys, has UBC contacted any of your listed contacts to confirm your hours yet?

Thanks, and best of luck to all!

This is a really strong app, im sure youll get in! UBC contacted my reference that I gave in the professional reference section. in that reference form, they asked how many hours volunteered there was.

11 minutes ago, maybePT said:

This is a really strong app, im sure youll get in! UBC contacted my reference that I gave in the professional reference section. in that reference form, they asked how many hours volunteered there was.

Thank you!

Yeah they for sure contacted my practical reference too, I was more wondering if they contacted the folks you put down as contacts for every Extracurricular you had listed besides your three listed references. For example in the northern cohort form I put down my time at the soup kitchen, and the contact info for my supervisor there. But I didn’t use the supervisor as one of my three referees.