Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

On 5/6/2020 at 4:58 PM, rrxxccooll said:

I wonder if we apply again after finishing a master degree, will they still look at our undergrad gpa? What kind of master program is good for applying for OT? What about some online programs? Thanks

I believe most application pages (at least Western, Queen's and Dal) specify that they only consider undergraduate GPA. Taking a Masters program would be beneficial for experience and perhaps a stronger academic reference, but your GPA will still come from your undergraduate courses in most cases!

Edit: This is the case for PT admissions as the schools I mentioned here, but it turns out this may differ for OT programs (Western looks at graduate courses for OT sGPA, but not for PT sGPA for example)

16 minutes ago, jhall_88xc said:

I believe most application pages (at least Western, Queen's and Dal) specify that they only consider undergraduate GPA. Taking a Masters program would be beneficial for experience and perhaps a stronger academic reference, but your GPA will still come from your undergraduate courses in most cases!

I looked at this pretty closely when looking to apply, as I have very different GPAs based on whether graduate marks are included in the s-GPA or not. At least for Ontario, UoT and McMaster are the only PT programs that utilize graduate marks. Though if you’re looking to do a masters, still, the insight you gain from research experience is still extremely useful for medical professionals! 

26 minutes ago, NorthernPTapplicant said:

Brutal. Literally emailed Kelly Monday and she stressed that they were still on course to send offers early May, Dal seems to not have their shit together.

Rough to hear this. I know they're doing their best in a difficult situation but it does seem like it maybe speaks to a lack of organization on behalf of the program/school, which I find slightly concerning. 

31 minutes ago, XKIN2019 said:

Uottawa applicants did you people get a PT email about needing to take a french course too? I mean they used the same test for both applications so it makes sense but is everyone getting this email?

I applied to OT but I haven't gotten any emails about needing to take a french course or COVID updates. I'm getting a little worried.

8 minutes ago, ot2020!! said:

I've been lurking past forums and noticed that UofT will change the registration status on ACORN early in May if you've been accepted to OT/PT. Has anyone's registration status changed yet? 

I applied to UofT OT and I. haven't received any correspondence about ACORN. Has anyone else received an email about this? Thanks so much!

19 minutes ago, peachesplumsandpears said:

Rough to hear this. I know they're doing their best in a difficult situation but it does seem like it maybe speaks to a lack of organization on behalf of the program/school, which I find slightly concerning. 

Yeah I’m not gonna lie I’m disappointed that any information I got about Dal’s delay were not from Dal but from reading this forum

17 hours ago, JC9 said:

Anyone set on going to UoA for OT? I don't know anyone at UoA (or Edmonton) and am just looking to chat over PM with a future classmate!

I am, though I am really hoping to go to the Calgary campus. Still, send me a PM anytime!

25 minutes ago, Saskhopeful said:

Today is supposed to be the first day that UofA OT can offer people spots from the waitlist. Has anybody heard anything yet? I'm on the SK waitlist and i'm starting to get anxious!

I'm on the waitlist! Not from SK though. Haven't heard anything yet. Good luck!! 

44 minutes ago, PTab said:

Has anyone heard from U of A PT? Also, I read on the U of A PT site that due to budget cuts there will not be a Camrose  campus (so just Edmonton and Calgary campuses). 

Oh snap - that's wild. :o

48 minutes ago, PTab said:

Has anyone heard from U of A PT? Also, I read on the U of A PT site that due to budget cuts there will not be a Camrose  campus (so just Edmonton and Calgary campuses). 

I haven’t heard yet. but yeah, I saw that too... I had Edmonton as my preferred campus.

On 5/6/2020 at 10:32 PM, jhall_88xc said:

Western considers grad school marks too