Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
ptmandem

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rrxxccooll said:

That’s why I wonder  which university we choose outside of Canada. Do you have any friends that complete the ot master in the uk or in the us?

I knew four people who completed their degrees in the UK/Australia (2 at Glasgow caldonia, one at kings collage and one who completed their OT degree in Australia). The PTs who did their degrees in the Uk had no problems because the schools collaborate with Canadian and US schools they actually said that the pass rate for the practicum section was higher on average than other universities. Two of the three PTs passed the written on their first try and the last on on their second try again they said the test really wasn't that bad especially because most PT programs require a 70 in classes anyways. As for the OT person she had a very hard time getting her degree transfered she was the one that said she needed a 90% to pass so it might be different for PT. She was on her last writing attempt when I last spoke to her and was faced with possibly having to do more school. The one thing everyone I have spoke to said is getting the class credits approved by the Canadien licensing bored is a long and painful process it is also expensive when you add the writing fees and everything. Lastly most did not practice until a year after graduation. I think you can practice as soon as six months but I think only one person of the 4 did that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, XKIN2019 said:

I knew four people who completed their degrees in the UK/Australia (2 at Glasgow caldonia, one at kings collage and one who completed their OT degree in Australia). The PTs who did their degrees in the Uk had no problems because the schools collaborate with Canadian and US schools they actually said that the pass rate for the practicum section was higher on average than other universities. Two of the three PTs passed the written on their first try and the last on on their second try again they said the test really wasn't that bad especially because most PT programs require a 70 in classes anyways. As for the OT person she had a very hard time getting her degree transfered she was the one that said she needed a 90% to pass so it might be different for PT. She was on her last writing attempt when I last spoke to her and was faced with possibly having to do more school. The one thing everyone I have spoke to said is getting the class credits approved by the Canadien licensing bored is a long and painful process it is also expensive when you add the writing fees and everything. Lastly most did not practice until a year after graduation. I think you can practice as soon as six months but I think only one person of the 4 did that. 

Wow! Where did the ot completed her study in the UK? OT needs 90% to pass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 10:53 AM, MMZ said:

Western considers grad school marks too

Are you referring to OT or PT? With regard to PT, I'm fairly sure the Western website specifically says it doesn't, though correct me if I'm wrong. I did research into all the Ontario schools when I was looking to apply to apply this year, and, at least for the 2020 admission cycle, it looked like Mac and UoT were there only two PT programs to include graduate marks in the sub-GPA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 12:47 PM, jhall_88xc said:

I just double checked this on Western's admissions page, and they state among the grades not considered in sGPA calculation are courses from graduate degrees, B.Ed., and diploma programs (among others!)

Edit: Oops, I guess you must have been referring to OT, my comment was only for PT! I just checked the admissions page for OT at Western and it turns out that they DO consider graduate courses for sGPA calculations there. Pardon me for any confusion :) 

18 hours ago, GivinPTaShot said:

Are you referring to OT or PT? With regard to PT, I'm fairly sure the Western website specifically says it doesn't, though correct me if I'm wrong. I did research into all the Ontario schools when I was looking to apply to apply this year, and, at least for the 2020 admission cycle, it looked like Mac and UoT were there only two PT programs to include graduate marks in the sub-GPA. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else a little concerned about the way PT instruction is going to be in the fall? It seems a lot of the classes will be online, as will all orientations activities. I got into U of A and McGill, which is exciting, but I'm wondering how different the programs are going to look because of COVID. I'm even sort of considering taking a year off and trying to defer or applying again next year. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nruu said:

Is anyone else a little concerned about the way PT instruction is going to be in the fall? It seems a lot of the classes will be online, as will all orientations activities. I got into U of A and McGill, which is exciting, but I'm wondering how different the programs are going to look because of COVID. I'm even sort of considering taking a year off and trying to defer or applying again next year. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts!

I got into UofA too and I’m a bit concerned as well. But, I don’t think I want to pass up this opportunity. Who knows what it’ll be like next year. If they’d let students defer, that would be nice. Are they willing to do that though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Nruu said:

Is anyone else a little concerned about the way PT instruction is going to be in the fall? It seems a lot of the classes will be online, as will all orientations activities. I got into U of A and McGill, which is exciting, but I'm wondering how different the programs are going to look because of COVID. I'm even sort of considering taking a year off and trying to defer or applying again next year. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts!

I got into and have accepted a position at U of A Calgary Campus. I'm hesitant about the fact courses may be online, but have faith in the program and the facilitators to adapt it well. I've spoken to current students in a few programs throughout the country, and there's been a shuffling around of courses during the pandemic so far (pushing back the hands on portions). It's definitely a hard decision- if you gave up your spot this year, what will happen next year? If you accept the position, and classes are online, is that the education you were initially expecting? Deferrals would be great given the situation, but whether or not that would be allowed....

It looks as though Anatomy for U of A in August will be online, while the fall courses are up in the air. It's so hard to say how courses and this situation is going to be playing out in the fall. It could be under control, or a second/third wave could be coming around. 

U of A released the following document regarding the planning for fall, which gives some small hope assuming the virus remains under control leading into fall:
https://www.ualberta.ca/covid-19/media-library/2020-04-16_fall-semester-scenario-planning-principles-and-scenarios-final-draft.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, WhoKnows2020 said:

I got into and have accepted a position at U of A Calgary Campus. I'm hesitant about the fact courses may be online, but have faith in the program and the facilitators to adapt it well. I've spoken to current students in a few programs throughout the country, and there's been a shuffling around of courses during the pandemic so far (pushing back the hands on portions). It's definitely a hard decision- if you gave up your spot this year, what will happen next year? If you accept the position, and classes are online, is that the education you were initially expecting? Deferrals would be great given the situation, but whether or not that would be allowed....

It looks as though Anatomy for U of A in August will be online, while the fall courses are up in the air. It's so hard to say how courses and this situation is going to be playing out in the fall. It could be under control, or a second/third wave could be coming around. 

U of A released the following document regarding the planning for fall, which gives some small hope assuming the virus remains under control leading into fall:
https://www.ualberta.ca/covid-19/media-library/2020-04-16_fall-semester-scenario-planning-principles-and-scenarios-final-draft.pdf

I have also been accepted at the Calgary campus. I feel a little concerned too, but it has occurred to me that U of A may be able to handle the shift to online a little more smoothly given that they are already familiar with distance instruction because of the satellite campuses. Of course it's not the same as the being in class and interacting with the instructors and your fellow students, but I suspect they'll be extremely hesitant to accept deferrals since that will have ramifications for all subsequent years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U of A PT: if you got accepted, and you want to be a physiotherapist, do it! A few semesters that are modified are not going to make or break you. Your learning might be slightly less detailed in one area, but way richer in another. You might even find that the changes that they implement really work for you. Look at this as your first test of pt school resilience: if you got in, you can handle this! 

Also, tuition is going up an average of 7% this year for graduate programs, and another 5-10% the year after (and I can't imaging they're going to stop the increases after that), so start now and save yourself a couple grand. They've already cut Augustana, there's no guarantee that they won't be cutting program size or location in the future. 

I got the interview, and if the weighting hadn't changed, I'd be in. But it did, and I'm out this year. You've got a chance right now, take it! and hopefully I'll see ya in a year :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rehabhopeful said:

I have also been accepted at the Calgary campus. I feel a little concerned too, but it has occurred to me that U of A may be able to handle the shift to online a little more smoothly given that they are already familiar with distance instruction because of the satellite campuses. Of course it's not the same as the being in class and interacting with the instructors and your fellow students, but I suspect they'll be extremely hesitant to accept deferrals since that will have ramifications for all subsequent years. 

That's awesome! Will have to get in touch.

I agree completely. Unless a program previously accepted deferrals, I'm doubtful in a change of that policy. Even for the programs that may accept deferrals (which in Canada I believe is few?), they would be limited on the amount of deferrals allowed to not infringe on following years.

Overall, I have been impressed with how the universities in Alberta have handled the Covid-19 situation thus far, with the transition to online teaching half way through the Winter semester, and online for Spring/Summer. Naturally, it hasn't been perfect but nothing can be when such a situation prevails. I'm grateful for the opportunity, and would not want to pass it up, especially as there is going to be a 'new normal' when things turn around. PT had to adapt to the situation, with TeleHealth communications, just as the schools did. It may be different and an added challenge should things remain online, but most of us have already handled challenges in order to get to this point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mcgill-and-concordia-universities-plan-to-move-most-classes-online-for-fall-term-1.4934383

Just read this article here that McGill is planning to move most classes to be online for the upcoming fall term. For the OOP applicants or the individuals that are not from the area, what is your plan for your living situation for the fall semester? Are you going to move for September or are you going to "stay home" in your current area and do the online material from there?

I feel many universities will follow this move and adopt this strategy. Also, for those of you that have been accepted to Manitoba, UBC, Alberta or other schools, what are your plans for the fall? I'm interested to see where everyone's head is at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 questions for the group! 

- does anyone know when we have to make a deposit to hold our spot at Dal? I’m assuming that will happen after we get the official acceptance letter?

- do the Ontario schools give priority to residents of Ontario the same way Dal prioritizes NS/Atlantic students? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Psyched4OTPT said:

2 questions for the group! 

- does anyone know when we have to make a deposit to hold our spot at Dal? I’m assuming that will happen after we get the official acceptance letter?

- do the Ontario schools give priority to residents of Ontario the same way Dal prioritizes NS/Atlantic students? 

Answer to #2: No they don't have a preference for where you come from, over half my class is from OOP (in PT) the preference some schools have is simply due to proximity of PT schools within the province/country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 4:05 PM, GivinPTaShot said:

Are you referring to OT or PT? With regard to PT, I'm fairly sure the Western website specifically says it doesn't, though correct me if I'm wrong. I did research into all the Ontario schools when I was looking to apply to apply this year, and, at least for the 2020 admission cycle, it looked like Mac and UoT were there only two PT programs to include graduate marks in the sub-GPA. 

I was referring to OT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OThopedalhousie said:

Has anyone got the official acceptance letter from Dalhousie for OT or have the people that heard back only got the recommendation from the admission committee? 

I haven't received anything other than the recommendation letter. I emailed Kelly last week regarding sending my final transcripts, but I haven't heard back.  Do you know if we need to do anything before we receive the official acceptance in order to accept the offer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys, I'm a dal phyiso student currently in a modified summer term of our second year (our placements got pushed to november)

We have a "very important zoom meeting" this thursday in regards to accreditation, I believe. I'll get back to you since not knowing wtf is going on with this school (me too) is a constant theme.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, newPT2020 said:

Hello guys, I'm a dal phyiso student currently in a modified summer term of our second year (our placements got pushed to november)

We have a "very important zoom meeting" this thursday in regards to accreditation, I believe. I'll get back to you since not knowing wtf is going on with this school (me too) is a constant theme.

Thanks

oof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FuturePT2020 said:

oof

 

27 minutes ago, newPT2020 said:

Hello guys, I'm a dal phyiso student currently in a modified summer term of our second year (our placements got pushed to november)

We have a "very important zoom meeting" this thursday in regards to accreditation, I believe. I'll get back to you since not knowing wtf is going on with this school (me too) is a constant theme.

Thanks

Looking at the PEAC website (https://www.peac-aepc.ca/english/accreditation/programs-with-accreditation-status.php) the accreditation status for DAL PT is set to expire on May 15, 2020 (This Friday). It'll be interesting to see what they have to say during the zoom meeting on Thursday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FuturePT2020 said:

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mcgill-and-concordia-universities-plan-to-move-most-classes-online-for-fall-term-1.4934383

Just read this article here that McGill is planning to move most classes to be online for the upcoming fall term. For the OOP applicants or the individuals that are not from the area, what is your plan for your living situation for the fall semester? Are you going to move for September or are you going to "stay home" in your current area and do the online material from there?

I feel many universities will follow this move and adopt this strategy. Also, for those of you that have been accepted to Manitoba, UBC, Alberta or other schools, what are your plans for the fall? I'm interested to see where everyone's head is at.

I got accepted to Manitoba and im from Ontario so I'm also really confused what to do and would like to know what others are doing about their living arrangements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...