Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

2 hours ago, PTAnonymous2022 said:

Hey everyone. New to this forum here so I thought I would share to help others in the future. Got an e-mail on Friday that I am waitlisted to Dal PT as an NS resident. I applied with a 3.91/4.3 sGPA. I have no idea how I did on the CASper. Some of the questions kind of got to me and I feel I was a little scattered answer wise as we only had 5 minutes per question.

Dal is the only school I applied to so hoping for some movement on the waitlist! Does anybody know how much movement it's had in past years?

Also, congrats to everybody who got accepted and to those who didn't get good news, if you really want to be PT/OT it will happen for you!

Hey, do you mind sharing with me how you calculated your Dal GPA?

8 minutes ago, OT1996 said:

Hey, do you mind sharing with me how you calculated your Dal GPA?

You can use the ORPAS conversion table to see how your grades convert to Dal's letter system, and then calculate your mean grade based on that! Dal's letter grade to GPA works like this:
A+ / A / A- = 4.3 / 4.0 / 3.7
B+ / B / B- = 3.3 / 3.0 / 2.7
C+ / C / C- = 2.3 / 2.0 / 1.7
D+ / D / D- = 1.3 / 1.0 / 0.7
F = 0

So say in your last 20 half credits (i.e. single semester courses) you had 9 A+s, 5 As, 4 A-s, and 2 Bs, your sGPA for Dal would be:
[(9*4.3) + (5*4.0) + (4*3.7) + (2*3.0)] / 20 = 3.975

I whipped up a really basic Excel table (which includes the ORPAS conversion chart), so anyone who's interested can simply enter the total number of each letter grade you've achieved in your past 20 courses and it'll spit out your Dal sGPA! Not that it took very long, but hopefully someone finds it useful hahah

Dalhousie sGPA Calculator .xlsx

On 5/5/2020 at 4:18 PM, OTmorgs39 said:

This is what they said in the letter: 

"Please note, due to COVID‐19 and physical distancing protocols, the MSc(OT) program may start with

online course delivery in September 2020 with gradual return to in‐person courses when allowed."

And also that we would know more about course delivery in July. I'd imagine it will at least start out online.

Not sure if someone else has answered this but Dal just announced Fall term will primarily be online, with a few course exceptions. From someone I know just finishing their first year now I think that means that all courses will be online when possible with maybe 1x lab a week or so in person, probably in rotated shifts

https://www.dal.ca/novel-coronavirus/may-20--fall-term-update.html

1 hour ago, PTOTHOPEFUL said:

Anyone have any idea what the fastest way to find out what spot on the waitlist for Dal PT you are? Emailed with no response... voicemail also says they are out of the office. Really anxious to know my spot as I don’t wanna get my hopes up just in case. 

They said for both OT and PT info sessions that they can’t tell you where on the list because of the provincial allocations. Even if you are #1 on the list, you may not get the 1st offer if the person who declines isn’t from your province.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:53 PM, rrxxccooll said:

Hi, I applied for dal OT. Is it the same situation for OT?

no, but dal OT is a shit show as well (I'm a previous student)

For example - I didn't get any notification about my application unitl a month after everyone else on this forum did so I called and they told me they "lost it" and I had to resend it and I got in... if you don't hear from them (either rejection, waitlist or acceptance) by June 1 CALL THEM

Hey guys! Just found this forum in an effort to get some info on the Dal PT waitlist! I was also placed on the waitlist last week...

sGPA: 4.0/4.3

CASPer: overall thought it went pretty well. I prepared and practiced as much as I felt I could have. 

Province: NB

All the best to everyone waiting! I really hope there’s some movement after Ontario schools release their acceptances! Crazy that the Dal PT deadline is the same day Ontario schools release theres though!

Does anyone know if we need to send in our final transcripts? I remember seeing it somewhere on the website but wasn’t sure if you only need to send the final one if you had outstanding pre-requisites.

4 hours ago, jhall_88xc said:

You can use the ORPAS conversion table to see how your grades convert to Dal's letter system, and then calculate your mean grade based on that! Dal's letter grade to GPA works like this:
F = 0

So say in your last 20 half credits (i.e. single semester courses) you had 9 A+s, 5 As, 4 A-s, and 2 Bs, your sGPA for Dal would be:

I whipped up a really basic Excel table (which includes the ORPAS conversion chart), so anyone who's interested can simply enter the total number of each letter grade you've achieved in your past 20 courses and it'll spit out your Dal sGPA! Not that it took very long, but hopefully someone finds it useful hahah

Dalhousie sGPA Calculator .xlsx 12.11 kB · 6 downloads

Hey thanks so much for the help. I have to decide today whether I assign myself a pass or grade to a course I took this winter semester. I already completed my undergraduate degree last year in 2019, but I took this 1000 level course as a prerequisite to get into another program. 

For Dalhousie and the University of Alberta (if I apply in the future) do they count 1000 level courses taken after completion of the undergrad degree?

I have been trying to get a hold of staff all day today and I have to decide before midnight about the course.

Also I was wondering if you guys know whether the schools will look at it less favorably if we assign ourselves a "Pass" for a course?

Edited by OT1996

Hi there, 

For those of you who were accepted into an OT program did you take less than 5 courses a semester during your undergrad? I have only taken 4 each semester (I work part-time) and am worried this may impact my chances of admission when I apply next year (specifically U of A).

An article came out today to say that the vast majority of Dalhousie Classes will be online for the entire fall semester, so with that being said, I'm curious to know if people will move to Halifax in September, or wait until in-person classes resume in 2021?

If any future Dal OT/PT want to get in touch, send me a message! :)

32 minutes ago, eastcoastpt said:

An article came out today to say that the vast majority of Dalhousie Classes will be online for the entire fall semester, so with that being said, I'm curious to know if people will move to Halifax in September, or wait until in-person classes resume in 2021?

I'm on the Dal PT waitlist, and I'll probably stay here in Edmonton until January! My partner lives here so that would make the most sense for us. 

2 hours ago, UBCkin7 said:

Hi there, 

For those of you who were accepted into an OT program did you take less than 5 courses a semester during your undergrad? I have only taken 4 each semester (I work part-time) and am worried this may impact my chances of admission when I apply next year (specifically U of A).

I took four classes some semesters but took 6 during others. I don't think it matters as long as you have a competitive sub GPA

1 hour ago, eastcoastpt said:

I think I am going to try to move to Halifax for September as it may be difficult to find a place in January when everyone will be in a rush to find a place and taking into consideration that Halifax has a 1% rental vacancy 

6 hours ago, jhall_88xc said:

F = 0

Dalhousie sGPA Calculator .xlsx 12.11 kB · 10 downloads

Hey just another question- what if it is a percentage grade? I took one course through University of Guelph which uses percentages. According to the Dal table if the grade was in the range of 90-100% would it then be equal to 4.3 and id just add another 4.3 into my calculation? (I only took one course through there, I did my undergrad somewhere else, where we used letter grades. So it is kinda confusing mixing all my letter grades with one percentage grade lol). Thank you

2 hours ago, OT1996 said:

Hey thanks so much for the help. I have to decide today whether I assign myself a pass or grade to a course I took this winter semester. I already completed my undergraduate degree last year in 2019, but I took this 1000 level course as a prerequisite to get into another program. 

For Dalhousie and the University of Alberta (if I apply in the future) do they count 1000 level courses taken after completion of the undergrad degree?

I have been trying to get a hold of staff all day today and I have to decide before midnight about the course.

Also I was wondering if you guys know whether the schools will look at it less favorably if we assign ourselves a "Pass" for a course?

Its important to note that U of A will not be taking any grades from the Winter 2020 semester, whether you take the grade or a CR and no matter the institution you are currently at. However, it appears according to the release as though the courses from Winter 2020 will be used towards your recent 20 courses. So, if you had 4 courses in Winter 2020, it will count towards the overall credit but the grade will not be counted meaning your GPA is calculated from fewer credits (in this example, 16 courses instead of 20).
For reference: https://www.ualberta.ca/covid-19/updates/04/2020-04-06-changes-to-admissions-for-fall-2020.html

Hey guys! I was also placed on the PT waitlist last week.

sgpa: 4.21/4.3

cgpa: 4.01/4.3

Casper: Overall thought it went alright. I prepared and practiced as much as I could a few days before I took the test.

Province: NB

Really hoping theirs some mouvement on the waitlist!

Hi everyone! I applied to OT at Queens and UofT (although i’m a bit more hopeful for Queens). Queens looks at cGPA and i’m at a 3.64 which is okay... I’m more worried about my lack of specific volunteer experience in the field. I have tons of speech pathology experience and references + I also worked in an old age home. Does anyone have any advice or know if I have a chance at all? Hoping for a miracle!

Hey guys, I'm going into my second year of Dal PT! Congrats to everyone who got accepted and to those on the waitlist, there usually is quite a bit of movement, so don't give up hope! I know quite a few people who got in off the waitlist - even a few days before classes started! Hope everyone has a good summer and I'm looking forward to meeting you all soon :)

1 hour ago, MiaOT said:

Hi everyone! I applied to OT at Queens and UofT (although i’m a bit more hopeful for Queens). Queens looks at cGPA and i’m at a 3.64 which is okay... I’m more worried about my lack of specific volunteer experience in the field. I have tons of speech pathology experience and references + I also worked in an old age home. Does anyone have any advice or know if I have a chance at all? Hoping for a miracle!

For Queens it states “The first cut-off is based on the cumulative converted grade point average for all years of undergraduate university study. The actual cut-off mark is based on the applicant pool, but typically students entering the Occupational Therapy program have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 on a 4 point scale or higher” In other words, I would say that you would have a chance. Keep you head up and hope for the best!