Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

9 hours ago, PT PT PT said:

Hey! Thank you for that info it helps a lot since I’m starting to plan for fall! Did you consider applying to UBC or Dalhousie and found it was the same case? 

Congrats on McGill though! That’s awesome :) If you don’t mind, can I ask how the process was of applying there? And it isn’t a French-speaking program right?

Best of luck for getting into Ontario too! :)

I did apply to UBC and Dalhousie, but I was rejected unfortunately (and I expected it to be honest). UBC and Dalhousie's prerequisites were closer to Ontario's, so I was able to apply (UBC did require English and Physics extra though from what I remember).

I personally found McGill's application process easier. McGill has a lower cut-off GPA and also gets less applicants (~350-400 applicants as opposed to 700-1000 in Ontario). I assume it's because 1) the program is about a semester longer than other schools 2) you don't get accepted immediately into the master's degree, rather you get into a qualifying year and then the masters degree 3) I would guess some people get intimated by the french "requirement". The program itself is in English, but from what I know, atleast one of the placements has to be in Montreal where you will be required to know both french and english in order to interact with francophone patients. Personally, I know very basic french, but if I end up going with McGill, I'm gonna work on it more this summer. 

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them here or through a message!

2 minutes ago, Lina said:

I did apply to UBC and Dalhousie, but I was rejected unfortunately (and I expected it to be honest). UBC and Dalhousie's prerequisites were closer to Ontario's, so I was able to apply (UBC did require English and Physics extra though from what I remember).

I personally found McGill's application process easier. McGill has a lower cut-off GPA and also gets less applicants (~350-400 applicants as opposed to 700-1000 in Ontario). I assume it's because 1) the program is about a semester longer than other schools 2) you don't get accepted immediately into the master's degree, rather you get into a qualifying year and then the masters degree 3) I would guess some people get intimated by the french "requirement". The program itself is in English, but from what I know, atleast one of the placements has to be in Montreal where you will be required to know both french and english in order to interact with francophone patients. Personally, I know very basic french, but if I end up going with McGill, I'm gonna work on it more this summer. 

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them here or through a message!

Thank you so much, this really does help a lot! If its okay with you I'll just message you my questions/response :)