Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

4 minutes ago, NorthernPTapplicant said:

Applied + (PT): Queens, Western, Toronto, Dal, and McMaster (all PT).
Accepted: Western, McMaster, Dal, Queens
Waitlisted: Toronto

sGPA:3.92

I will be accepting Western. Just a head's up to people, my friend went to Dal and she said that apparently a bunch of people failed a course and as a result they held back the students. 

Is this for Dal PT?

10 minutes ago, LMC said:

I got an offer for UofT but it doesn’t say what campus I’m on and I never got my acorn login, has this happened to anyone else? 

Yes! The exact same thing has happened to me and I'm having a bit of a panic seeing other people with ACORN accounts and knowing which campus they got into. Also, I did not see anything about classes being online for the first semester? Even on the additional links, it says they want to reopen classes come September, but things are kind of up in the air.

18 minutes ago, PTapplican said:

Yea im wondering the same thing... do you think they will email with our position next week? or can we email and ask our position?

Traditionally this information is not released, its unfortunate cause most schools do release it (Mac gives you an exact number, Western breaks it up into thirds). Its very school dependent and to my knowledge Queens doesn't release this. You can try searching past acceptance threads to see if anyone was able to find out where they stood on the list. Good luck!

On 5/29/2020 at 10:16 AM, HK2018 said:

Traditionally this information is not released, its unfortunate cause most schools do release it (Mac gives you an exact number, Western breaks it up into thirds). Its very school dependent and to my knowledge Queens doesn't release this. You can try searching past acceptance threads to see if anyone was able to find out where they stood on the list. Good luck!

1 hour ago, kinptenthusiast said:

Do you mean change the date to the 19th? Also is this for PT or OT, or both? My acceptance letter says the deposit must be made by “June 1”, and I’m on waitlist for another school, so I’d like to not have to pay it if I won’t be attending uO.

I got accepted to both and your Uzone email will have a notice from admissions saying you only have to pay june 12th

Hi this is for future students! 

Applied All OT: Queens, Western, Toronto and McMaster 
Accepted: Queens and Toronto (OT)
Waitlisted: Western (middle third) and Mac (interview waitlisted) (OT)

cGPA: 3.62,  sGPA: 3.75 

I have volunteered with various clubs for children with special needs for the past 2 years, volunteered at a hospital for 3 years and volunteered at 2 different children OT clinics. I also worked at a summer camp for 5 years and was a support leader for children with special needs. 

My reference letters were from my boss at the summer camp and from one of my profs of whom I knew quite well as my class size was extremely small. 

I will most likely accept UofT! Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to those applying next year! 

Was accepted this morning to Western OT and rejected by Queen’s OT! Western was my top choice so I’m still pretty jazzed.

I can’t recheck my sub-GPA right now since it has to update with my acceptance of Western’s offer, but it was a little above 3.7 on a 4.0 scale. My core GPA was around 3.6 if I recall correctly. 

I only had started volunteering one day a week this past December, but I had years of experience as a swimming lesson instructor and I also wrote an Honours thesis as well and have my BScH in Applied Psychology. 

Just wanted to share in case an applicant for next year isn’t feeling too optimistic and needs some hope! I was trying not to be too hopeful as it is so competitive and I was worried about my lack of volunteer work, but was very, very pleasantly surprised this morning. 

Applied to PT at Mac, UofT, Queen’s, and Western

Got accepted to UofT and Queen’s, waitlisted at Mac (~25) and Western (upper third). Can anyone speak on the probability of getting an acceptance at McMaster when being on the wait list? That’s my first choice since I live in Hamilton.

cGPA: 3.98 sGPA: 3.99, first time applying

Alright, so I've been following this thread/forum for awhile and found it very helpful, so I'll share my info in case it can help anyone!

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT: UOttawa, McGill (QY), & Queens. OT: UOttawa, McGill (QY), & McMaster.
Accepted: UOttawa (PT & OT), McGill (OT QY) 
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: Queens (PT), McMaster (OT) - for McMaster I got waitlisted for the interview, but never heard back. 
Awaiting Response: McGill (PT)
s-GPA: 3.76 (ORPAS)
c-GPA: 3.63 (ORPAS)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Student therapist for University varsity team (2 years). Worked as a technician throughout undergrad for my school. Volunteered at a clinic as an assistant to the Certified Athletic Therapist and Physiotherapists (about one summer). Volunteered at various U-Sports national championships that my University was hosting. Coached soccer.

In my rejection email from Queens which I got this morning around 8am, my grades were above the cut-off, so I believe that I did not get in as a result of my personal submission (after re-reading it recently I realize it could have been stronger). Was unsure about Casper, but I guess it went okay!

For reference: Got UOttawa acceptance this morning, and McGill (OT - QY) on May 1st, with official letter on May 28th.

Overview: 

Went to college in a completely unrelated field and decided to change fields after completion of my diploma with goal of becoming a PT. Was credited a full year of University as a result, but made sure to take the prerequisites for PT/OT regardless as I was told that the schools want University credits (for the prerequisite courses). Worth to note that I did not do as great in one class in what should have been my last year, so I went back for another year to gain more experience as a student therapist and retook the class while also taking other classes (3 per semester). I was worried that not being in a full course load would have an impact on my possibility of admission, but I guess it depends on the school (from knowledge I believe UofT and Western require full course loads). 

Overall happy that I got in my first choice (UOttawa PT)! Feel free to message if anyone has any questions :)

1 hour ago, NorthernPTapplicant said:

Yes, possibly the reason there on probation?

1) I have a friend who's in PT1 at Dal this year who said 5 or 6 (she was uncertain on the exact number) people failed the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (basically the practical skills exam) and were being held back this year, but that was down from the 10 who failed the year prior so nothing necessarily out of the ordinary there.

2) There are a few reasons Dal's accreditation was changed to probationary, and all are outlined in the Accreditation Review they posted on the Dal School of Physiotherapy Website! I've also attached as a PDF incase the file is taken off the web, so anyone who is interested can read about exactly what it is that Dal's program needs to fix to gain their fully compliant accreditation status. The tl;dr is that they have a lot of elements in the "Program Development and Evaluation" criteria that are all sub-par (including one core competency that is not met at all); they haven't always done a great job of accurately evaluating their students (for better or for worse) nor have they done a good job of improving their program in line with feedback year over year to improve student experience and outcomes.

Dalhousie Accreditation Review and Status Report.pdf

1 hour ago, NKBY said:

Yes! The exact same thing has happened to me and I'm having a bit of a panic seeing other people with ACORN accounts and knowing which campus they got into. Also, I did not see anything about classes being online for the first semester? Even on the additional links, it says they want to reopen classes come September, but things are kind of up in the air.

The same thing happened to me too! Glad I'm not the only one. I'll probably email UofT to get my ACORN login because I'm sure they never sent me an email about that.

Also, for anyone in PT freaking out about which UofT campus they got into, I don't know what other people on this forum were talking about. I called UofT they confirmed they only have one PT campus, so if you got accepted you're at the St. George Campus! The only people at different campuses are for OT. Hope this can alleviate some anxiety!

1 hour ago, OTPLEASE5678 said:

Hi this is for future students! 

Applied All OT: Queens, Western, Toronto and McMaster 
Accepted: Queens and Toronto (OT)
Waitlisted: Western (middle third) and Mac (interview waitlisted) (OT)

cGPA: 3.62,  sGPA: 3.75 

I have volunteered with various clubs for children with special needs for the past 2 years, volunteered at a hospital for 3 years and volunteered at 2 different children OT clinics. I also worked at a summer camp for 5 years and was a support leader for children with special needs. 

My reference letters were from my boss at the summer camp and from one of my profs of whom I knew quite well as my class size was extremely small. 

I will most likely accept UofT! Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to those applying next year! 

Hi there! Thanks for providing this information :) Sorry if this question has been answered already - but how did you find out where you were on the Western Waitlist? Thanks!