Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

Accepted to U of T, Western, McMaster, and Queens for OT, and just accepted at western so that should free up some wait-listed spots :). If anyone makes a Facebook group or chat for accepted OT students at Western let me know! 

17 minutes ago, PT1209 said:

Does anybody know how many spots on the Mac PT waitlist were let in to the program last year or the year before? 

From what I've heard, you have a great chance of getting in as long as you make it onto their waitlist. Mac PT waitlist moves down quite a bit due to lack of admission requirements (references, pre-reqs, etc.). A lot of students apply to multiple grad programs incl. Mac PT. Good luck :)

2 minutes ago, FowlerKennedy said:

From what I've heard, you have a great chance of getting in as long as you make it onto their waitlist. Mac PT waitlist moves down quite a bit usually due to lack of admission requirements (references, pre-reqs, etc.). A lot of students apply to multiple grad programs incl. Mac PT. Good luck :)

Does it move 90 spots? Lol

44 minutes ago, Mikk said:

Accepted to U of T, Western, McMaster, and Queens for OT, and just accepted at western so that should free up some wait-listed spots :). If anyone makes a Facebook group or chat for accepted OT students at Western let me know! 

Same! I feel a little overwhelmed about moving out to Ontario so it might help if I was able to get to know people from the program in advance.

9 minutes ago, HayleyRS said:

Same! I feel a little overwhelmed about moving out to Ontario so it might help if I was able to get to know people from the program in advance.

Where are you from? I'm from B.C. and also feel a bit overwhelmed. Especially because I've never even been to Ontario so deciding between the schools is difficult!

Applied: UofT (PT), McGill QY (PT + OT), McMaster (OT)
Waitlisted: McMaster (#25)
Rejected: McGill (PT) and Toronto
Still waiting: McGill (OT) 

GPA: cGPAa 3.99/4.3, 3.87/4.0 and sGPA 3.87 (ORPAS)

Does anyone know how much the waitlist moves for McMaster? 

1 hour ago, PT1209 said:

Im number 43 so I hope you aren't yanking my chain. At least there might be a small chance I guess. 

How do you know this? 

I recently graduated from PT school and I have friends from Mac PT class of 2016-2019. Their waitlist used to be around 70 but they increased it because of the huge turnover rate

16 minutes ago, ptstudent222 said:

last year it moved ~45 spots i believe! 

I feel like a lot of people are going to end up dropping Mac PT because the PBL and small group learning outline might end up being extremely frustrating with Online learning / COVID etc, and if people have offers to other programs it would be a lot easier to just go elsewhere.  It will be interesting to see how drastic of changes Mac makes to the program.

4 minutes ago, P to the T said:

I feel like a lot of people are going to end up dropping Mac PT because the PBL and small group learning outline might end up being extremely frustrating with Online learning / COVID etc, and if people have offers to other programs it would be a lot easier to just go elsewhere.  It will be interesting to see how drastic of changes Mac makes to the program.

Funny I actually think the opposite - PBL and small groups has the best chance of being in person the soonest and could be easier to connect virtually with small groups as oppose to a one way lecture prompting no discussion! Mac is also my top choice though so maybe I’m just biased haha

1 hour ago, AllyRL said:

Where are you from? I'm from B.C. and also feel a bit overwhelmed. Especially because I've never even been to Ontario so deciding between the schools is difficult!

I’m originally from NB but went to NS for my undergrad and stayed in NS! I have always dreamt of ending up on Ontario but it seems daunting now that it is happening. 

1 hour ago, Mikk said:

That makes sense, most people will be in the same boat with all new people! Are you thinking of accepting Western? 

That is the one consolation... we will all be in the same boat! I accepted Western’s offer, yes! :) 

7 minutes ago, Psyched4OTPT said:

Funny I actually think the opposite - PBL and small groups has the best chance of being in person the soonest and could be easier to connect virtually with small groups as oppose to a one way lecture prompting no discussion! Mac is also my top choice though so maybe I’m just biased haha

It's possible, who knows! I was also looking at it from Mac's POV in which they might have to change the way things are done a bit more drastically than other programs that don't do PBL/SLG, and then it could make a bit more confusing of environment overall for students and staff.