Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

20 minutes ago, FutureOT2022 said:

Hi everyone, 

Congrats to everyone who have been accepted into the program.

I was wondering if anyone has taken 3 or 4 courses a semester and still been accepted to the program? 

I did an exchange in my third year and completed my undergrad over five years because all of my upper year degree-required courses ended up being winter semester. For three of the four semesters in my last two years I took four courses (I took the full five second semester in my 4th year). The fifth year gave me that flexibility to do the reduced course load, finish my degree-required courses and also take an extra six courses over that span for a minor, and I was accepted to Dal and Western for this application cycle with that. So you can definitely get in with a few semesters of four courses :) Couldn't speak to the experience of taking three courses in a semester and applying, though.

40 minutes ago, FutureOT2022 said:

I was wondering if anyone have taken less than 5 courses and still been accepted into OT or PT program. For some semesters,  i took 3 courses but i am planning to take 4 courses for my last year? 

Hey yes I can confirm! I only ever took 3-4 courses per semester in undergrad (just one semester with 5 courses) and I was accepted to UofT, Queens, and McMaster's OT programs this year. However, I explained my reduced course load in my application for UofT. Queens and McMaster OT don't take into account an applicant's course load. 

Hope this helps, I remember being super worried about it.

Question: when final transcripts are sent (with pre req classes/last semester courses) will that affect waitlist placings? Asking bc I just did my pre reqs this past year so they don’t have my marks for either of them yet and I’m hoping it’ll help my standing. Thanks! 

5 hours ago, Mikk said:

Accepted to U of T, Western, McMaster, and Queens for OT, and just accepted at western so that should free up some wait-listed spots :). If anyone makes a Facebook group or chat for accepted OT students at Western let me know! 

I also got accepted to McMaster and Western for OT and I'm really struggling to pick! I was wondering why you chose Western ? Any insight will help :) 

20 minutes ago, OT_dream said:

I also got accepted to McMaster and Western for OT and I'm really struggling to pick! I was wondering why you chose Western ? Any insight will help :) 

I chose it for a few reasons, the mentorship with an OT seemed like it would be helpful, I liked the catchment areas for placement, the international placement options, and that we can pick two intensive courses to specialize our program a bit. I also have some family living there! Hope that helps :)

Hey all, I am hoping for some guidance on waitlists. If I accept an offer for an OT program, will that automatically remove me from PT waitlists? 

SubGPA: 3.84

Accepted: McMaster OT

Waitlisted: UofT & Queens PT

Thanks! Congrats to everyone for applying, regardless of the outcome! Good things are coming.

Hi everyone :)

Applied OT: UBC, Western, Mac, Queen’s, McGill, Dal
Accepted: Queen’s

Waitlisted: Mac (#45)  and Western (Middle 1/3)

Rejected: UBC (did attend interview)

GPA: cGPA: 3.80

I firmly accepted the offer from Queen’s and took myself off the wait list for the others. I’m still waiting on Dal and McGill but even if I get in, I’m pretty sure I’ll stick to Queen’s. 
Also I’m from BC and I’ve never even been to ON before so if anyone has any info or fun stuff to share about Queen’s/Kingston/ON in general, please let me know!

Applied + (PT or OT?): All OT - Western, UBC, UofA, Mac, Queens, UofT 
Accepted: UofT, Queens
Waitlisted: UofA
Rejected: UBC (after interview), Mac (no interview), Western  
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: cgpa: 3.66 sgpa: 3.73 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I finished my BA in psychology 4 years ago. Also, I did 5 years of undergrad and in my 5th year I only took 3 courses each term to get more work/volunteer experience. In all other years I did 4 or 5 courses during a term. I also took a human anatomy course last summer and did really well in it so that might have helped.

I think my essays and experiences were strong, I have lots of experience working with children with autism and in adaptive sports. I've shadowed OTs in these roles too so I had a lot to draw from and a good knowledge of how diverse the field is! I also volunteered in psychology research labs, was part of a mentorship program for psych students, tutored statistics, and had a research assistantship in public health. 

My referees were from 2 behaviour consultants I've worked with for over several years and a research prof who I did a directed studies project with and I think both were strong.

I think the Casper held me back as 2/3 of the schools that required it rejected me. My interview at UBC was okay too, but I could have definitely elaborated more on some of the questions. 

I'm from BC and am a little nervous about moving, but am also super excited! I think I'm leaning to UofT right now. 

6 hours ago, FutureOT2022 said:

Hi everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone has taken 3 or 4 courses a semester and still been accepted to the program? 

Hey - I've been accepted to UofA, Western, and Queens, and I did 5 courses a semester for my first 3 years. I did an honours thesis in fourth year so only did 2-3 courses along with that, and then my fifth year I only had to take 3 courses! Most places just want to see that you can handle a full course load for a few years, not the whole degree! 

10 hours ago, FutureOT2022 said:

Hi everyone, 

Yes! My fifth year I'm pretty sure I just did one course per semester. My fourth year I did 2-3 (that year was a thesis and intensive seminar course). Basically I took my time to make sure that I would finish strong and wasn't really sure of my plans - I didn't really think if it would be a consideration for grad school! But previous years were 4-5 courses and overall cGPA was steady.

I was worried when someone posted that schools take this into consideration, but it can be done!

Hey everyone hope you all got great news yesterday! I got into the four Ontario schools but I’m really struggling to choose between them because I’ve never been to any of them and don’t know too much about each program, could anyone give some insight on the PT programs or locations? 

9 hours ago, ptmandem said:

Will our final transcripts be submitted automatically to the schools we end up choosing? I know offers are conditional, I'm just unsure if we have to do anything else on our part to ensure they're sent.

No you have to order them through OUAC and then they forward it to the schools. Just like how we ordered our initial transcripts.

28 minutes ago, LMC said:

Hey everyone hope you all got great news yesterday! I got into the four Ontario schools but I’m really struggling to choose between them because I’ve never been to any of them and don’t know too much about each program, could anyone give some insight on the PT programs or locations? 

Perhaps it would be helpful to promote a new thread to this? Pros/Cons, Tips, personal experiences, strengths and weaknesses from different PT programs? I've been offered two schools and I'm also doing research into the different programs, but the official pages lack those personal stories. 

Update: I made a topic for this. We'll see if it catches on:)