Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

Applied + (PT): Dalhousie, UofA, Queens, Toronto, and McMaster (all OT).
Accepted:
Waitlisted: Queens
Rejected: McMaster, UofA and Toronto 
GPA:c-gpa 3.32 3.31  and s-gpa 3.55 3.50

Really hoping to get off of the waitlist for Queens! My marks aren't the best but I have been working as an OTA since 2018 and had some great references, so don't know where I will fall on the waitlist.... Congrats to everyone who has a solid offer, and fingers crossed for everyone on a waitlist

9 hours ago, PTorOT? said:

Hey all, I am hoping for some guidance on waitlists. If I accept an offer for an OT program, will that automatically remove me from PT waitlists? 

SubGPA: 3.84

Accepted: McMaster OT

Waitlisted: UofT & Queens PT

Thanks! Congrats to everyone for applying, regardless of the outcome! Good things are coming.

You only get removed from a waitlist if you accept another school that is for the same program. So since you accepted and offer for OT it will not impact your waitlist position for PT. 

9 minutes ago, HannahT said:

Applied + (PT): Dalhousie, UofA, Queens, Toronto, and McMaster (all OT).
Accepted:
Waitlisted: Queens
Rejected: McMaster, UofA and Toronto 
GPA:c-gpa 3.32 3.31  and s-gpa 3.55 3.50

Really hoping to get off of the waitlist for Queens! My marks aren't the best but I have been working as an OTA since 2018 and had some great references, so don't know where I will fall on the waitlist.... Congrats to everyone who has a solid offer, and fingers crossed for everyone on a waitlist

Can I ask where you did your undergrad?

Hi Everybody,

congrats to all who were accepted into the program of  choice. You should be very proud!!!

I applied for OT at UofT only because I’m unable to relocate anywhere else but unfortunately was rejected. I’m looking to apply next year but was wondering if there is a way to increase my GPA after completing my BA? So If I take more courses as a non-degree, will they be counted in my GPA?

also for people who have volunteered with an OT, how do you go about this? 

by sGPA was 3.63, I had field work experience working with disabled individuals and currently working in the disability management field for 3 years .. I don’t know where I went wrong. I hate that they don’t provide you with feedback  :(

again congratulations to all who were accepted!! 

Also what were your essay topics for the OT trends question? Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe my essay wasn’t the greatest either. 

Thanks for those who’ve responded, its super helpful knowing what to improve on.. getting into OT is my dream. 

17 hours ago, AspiringPT said:

The same thing happened to me too! Glad I'm not the only one. I'll probably email UofT to get my ACORN login because I'm sure they never sent me an email about that.

Did you ever end up emailing them? I never got an email for an ACORN login either and it’s really freaking me out 

19 minutes ago, OTProgramUofT said:

Hi Everybody,

congrats to all who were accepted into the program of  choice. You should be very proud!!!

I applied for OT at UofT only because I’m unable to relocate anywhere else but unfortunately was rejected. I’m looking to apply next year but was wondering if there is a way to increase my GPA after completing my BA? So If I take more courses as a non-degree, will they be counted in my GPA?

by sGPA was 7.63, I had field work experience working with disabled individuals and currently working in the disability management field for 3 years .. I don’t know where I went wrong. I hate that they don’t provide you with feedback  :(

I took my anatomy & physiology courses as part of a non-degree and they impacted my GPA! :) 

16 hours ago, FowlerKennedy said:

From what I've heard, you have a great chance of getting in as long as you make it onto their waitlist. Mac PT waitlist moves down quite a bit due to lack of admission requirements (references, pre-reqs, etc.). A lot of students apply to multiple grad programs incl. Mac PT. Good luck :)

Does the lack of admission requirements reflect the quality of students?? Other schools are much more rigorous it seems and I am considering mac, but I am uncertain if queens or u of t would be a better experience! Any insight would be appreciated! 

4 hours ago, sweettooth94 said:

Hi everyone!

congrats on getting accepted! If anyone is going to Mac for PT, send me a message so we can create our Facebook page :)

Hi! I was accepted to mac, queens, and u of t! I am looking into mac, but could you give me any insight into why you chose this school? Was it your only acceptance or did you choose it above other offers? Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, OTProgramUofT said:

Hi Everybody,

by sGPA was 3.63, I had field work experience working with disabled individuals and currently working in the disability management field for 3 years .. I don’t know where I went wrong. I hate that they don’t provide you with feedback  :(

I have volunteered with 2 different OT clinics. They are often very accepting of volunteers especially in a university town (I volunteered while I was at school). I just emailed them my resume and a little about myself explaining that I was hoping to get into OT school and would love to get more experience before hand. I was able to volunteer during the summer at 1 office in my home town and then 3 hours a week at an office during the school year. It’s super helpful for understanding OT and I found it really helped me write my essays! 

4 minutes ago, OTPLEASE5678 said:

I have volunteered with 2 different OT clinics. They are often very accepting of volunteers especially in a university town (I volunteered while I was at school). I just emailed them my resume and a little about myself explaining that I was hoping to get into OT school and would love to get more experience before hand. I was able to volunteer during the summer at 1 office in my home town and then 3 hours a week at an office during the school year. It’s super helpful for understanding OT and I found it really helped me write my essays! 

Thanks for helpful tips, I’ll try that! 

56 minutes ago, IslandPTgal said:

Also: Im on upper third waitlist for western...anyone know how likely it is to get a spot? (PT)

I think you have a pretty good chance. Upper third is definitely the position to be on the waitlist. I've heard it's common for waitlists to move 40 or so spots, which encompasses most of the upper third position.

1 hour ago, IslandPTgal said:

Also: Im on upper third waitlist for western...anyone know how likely it is to get a spot? (PT)

I'm in the upper third bracket too and wondering the same thing. I looked back at 2019 forum and someone from middle third heard back in the second week of June and last bracket heard back on June 18. Therefore, I'm assuming we're going to hear back not too far after June 12th....since we're in the first bracket.

10 minutes ago, ptapps said:

I'm in the upper third bracket too and wondering the same thing. I looked back at 2019 forum and someone from middle third heard back in the second week of June and last bracket heard back on June 18. Therefore, I'm assuming we're going to hear back not too far after June 12th....since we're in the first bracket.

Would you have a link to the 2019 forum? Is it the same type of thread as this one - for OT/PT or is is specific to western?

1 hour ago, AlliPT said:

Does the lack of admission requirements reflect the quality of students?? Other schools are much more rigorous it seems and I am considering mac, but I am uncertain if queens or u of t would be a better experience! Any insight would be appreciated! 

I wouldn't say so. All programs in Ontario are great and they only admit the very top students to their program. At the end of the day, it's who you are as a person that is going to determine your learning experience (your attitude, demeanour and effort in the program). And ultimately being a good physio isn't about anatomy or biomechanics... it's about reassuring people and working collaboratively with other healthcare workers. So if your dream is Mac PT, GO FOR IT ! YOU WILL BE GREAT

23 minutes ago, ptapps said:

What happens if we accept an offer (because they're due june 12th), and then we get a call from western? I am in the upper third, and how does that work if on june 20th western accepts us??

5 hours ago, sweettooth94 said:

Hi everyone!

congrats on getting accepted! If anyone is going to Mac for PT, send me a message so we can create our Facebook page :)

I was accepted by McMaster, Western, and McGill QY (all for PT). Waitlisted by UofT. I'm leaning heavily towards Mac right now for PBL but interested to hear people's insights on the other programs. For those choosing Western, what are some of your reasons? 

Hi guys, I created a thread for those deciding between Ontario OT schools, reaching out to current students/grads. I also put some info there that I got from doing my own research, please feel free to add anything you come across while researching the schools. As we are on a time crunch for making decisions it would be helpful to get all the input we can.