Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

5 hours ago, otmm2020 said:

Does anyone know if McMaster also sent out their interview invites for OT?

I haven't recieved anything yet... but based on threads from previous years, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect invites by the end of this week. On top of that McMaster's website says they'll send them out by *approximately* March 2nd so they should be coming out soon.

1 hour ago, OT/PT_Hopeful said:

I haven't recieved anything yet... but based on threads from previous years, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect invites by the end of this week. On top of that McMaster's website says they'll send them out by *approximately* March 2nd so they should be coming out soon.

Any news on when Toronto, western, And Dalhousie are sending out interviews?

On 2/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, natOT said:

Applied (OT): U of A, UBC, U of M
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cGPA: 3.83, sGPA: 3.95 (I think these are right, both out of 4.0?)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

I think my letter of intent/essays were pretty well done, but I also don't have anything to compare it to so I'm sort of nervous about that. I'm pretty confident in my references. I have a lot of research experience (3.5 years in a lab during undergrad, 1 year in a different lab after undergrad). In the lab work during undergrad I did a poster presentation at two conferences, and have a publication from my honours thesis work. However, that stuff is  completely unrelated to OT (bird neuroanatomy), so I'm not sure how much it will matter. My post-undergrad research work was a little bit more relevant. I've been working in disability services for the last year and shadowed a few OTs.

For a number of reasons, I've decided to only go for U of A. I know it's not the best decision but I have a family that lives in Alberta so I don't want to go too far. I got a UBC interview invite a week ago but have declined it.

I applied to the same schools as you. Heard back from UBC regarding the interview and did accept it.

I am currently in Alberta so going to the UofA will be the best case scenario but I am trying to keep my options open.

Good luck with the process. This is my second time applying to the UofA. I was placed on the waitlist year but unfortunately didn’t get in.

Have you heard back from UofM? I am still waiting to hearing back from them regarding interviews.

8 hours ago, HealthScience017 said:

I applied to the same schools as you. Heard back from UBC regarding the interview and did accept it.

I am currently in Alberta so going to the UofA will be the best case scenario but I am trying to keep my options open.

Good luck with the process. This is my second time applying to the UofA. I was placed on the waitlist year but unfortunately didn’t get in.

Have you heard back from UofM? I am still waiting to hearing back from them regarding interviews.

Good luck at the UBC interview! And with the other schools. Hopefully we both get our first choice and go to Edmonton/Calgary. 

Are you comfortable sharing your application details from last year/this year (gpa, experience, etc)? If not its totally fine. I'm curious how weak/strong you think my application is since I've never applied before.

Also I have not heard from U of M yet,  but I assume we will hear from them relatively soon since their interviews are at the end of March (I think). 

On 2/27/2020 at 3:14 AM, PTbound07 said:

Any news on when Toronto, western, And Dalhousie are sending out interviews?

Dal's website says "Applicants will be notified of interview decisions for the MSc Physiotherapy program by email before the end of March." They also state interview dates across Atlantic Canada. Not incredibly helpful, but better than nothing I guess?

https://www.dal.ca/faculty/health/school-of-physiotherapy/Admissions.html

57 minutes ago, OT-UofT-PLS-2020 said:

HEY! 
i havent gotten any email yet :(

what was your sub gpa according to ORPAS? 

I didn’t get an email yet either :( do you think they send out all the acceptances and then the rejections? Or they go by first letter of last name? Been checking my emails like crazy 

1 hour ago, PTOTHOPEFUL said:

I didn’t get an email yet either :( do you think they send out all the acceptances and then the rejections? Or they go by first letter of last name? Been checking my emails like crazy 

I got my email at 2:47 pm today. These first round invitees have till March 4th at noon to respond. After that they will send out more invites. Sign-ups will close once all 259 spots are filled. Hope that helps.

5 hours ago, OT/PT_Hopeful said:

Does anyone know if there are any benefits or drawbacks to doing the remote MMI instead of the in-person one for McMaster OT?

I am wondering the same thing! I don't think there would be any disadvantages of doing an online interview over the in-person (in terms of admissions committee favoring one over the other). So maybe going with which ever option is more comfortable for you is a good idea? 

I was wondering how they would do the MMI online for OT- the whole process of reading a prompt behind a door and having multiple interviewers how would that work? I would like to know if anyone has done the online version before. The only downside I see of the remote interview is having anxiety the whole time about something happening to the internet connection lol!

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if there are any instances where ORPAS calculates the sub-GPA differently or if preference is given to Ontario students. My sub-GPA is 3.96 according to ORPAS, but I did not receive an email yesterday. I have checked my spam folder. Based on this thread, it seems like my sGPA was higher than the cut-off for first-round interview invites  receive a first-round interview invites. Does anyone know why I might not have received an invite or have any advice? Thanks so much!

7 hours ago, OThopesdreams said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if there are any instances where ORPAS calculates the sub-GPA differently or if preference is given to Ontario students. My sub-GPA is 3.96 according to ORPAS, but I did not receive an email yesterday. I have checked my spam folder. Based on this thread, it seems like my sGPA was higher than the cut-off for first-round interview invites  receive a first-round interview invites. Does anyone know why I might not have received an invite or have any advice? Thanks so much!

Did you get a rejection? Maybe you were missing a document

46 minutes ago, PTOTHOPEFUL said:

Just got an email saying I’m on the wait list for the MMI for McMaster OT ! Since we were kind of wondering about this! Any idea on if there’s ever really movement on the wait list? I can’t see that being a thing

CONGRATS! Just got my rejection lol

what what your sub gpa according to orpas?