Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
ptmandem

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

Recommended Posts

I got accepted to UofT Mississauga campus, Queens and Western and I am having a hard time deciding between the three. For those who are accepting these schools, what are your reasons/unique aspects about the schools that you like? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all. Congrats to all those who have been offered admission or waitlisted! Im an international student and am looking to apply next year for PT at either Dal, McMaster, Western or McGill. 

I would like to ask how much is research experience valued for admission? I am currently involved in a couple of projects and am also working on a paper which I hope to publish by the end of this year. 

Appreciate all the inputs! Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IslandPTgal said:

This coming week some of us on the Dal PT waitlist should get emails/calls...Good luck everyone, I hope the waitlist moves for us!

I hope we ot applicant will hear from Dal soon as well even if it is a rejection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 12:02 PM, SoccerGirl27 said:

For those that got accepted into McGill OT/PT, do you guys know when the deadline is to submit our official transcript and proof of graduation from our institution? The acceptance letter didn't give a specific date on when we need to complete that by but I'm assuming around end of July? 

Let me know if anyone knows! 

Thank you :) 

Hello, may I ask when did you receive the offer from McGill? Is it a QY program? Thanks a lot! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 2:42 AM, Lina said:

Hey! I'm from Ontario as well. I would say one thing I wished I paid attention to earlier is the prerequisites because they usually require more prerequisites than Ontario's regular anat, phgy, etc (for example, UofA requires courses in Canadian Indigenous History and human movement; both of which are not required in Ontario). I wasn't able to apply to a couple of universities solely because of the prerequisites that I didn't have, so if you're planning to take extra courses, I'd say keep that in mind! 

This year was my second time applying. I got an acceptance from McGill, but I prefer to stay in Ontario so I'm crossing my fingers for tonight. If you don't get in this round, try again next year! Good luck, you got this! :) 

Hi! Congrats on your McGill offer! Do you mind sharing your grades and experience? When did you get the offer? I also applied for OT QY but my application is still under review. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Denish said:

Hi all. Congrats to all those who have been offered admission or waitlisted! Im an international student and am looking to apply next year for PT at either Dal, McMaster, Western or McGill. 

I would like to ask how much is research experience valued for admission? I am currently involved in a couple of projects and am also working on a paper which I hope to publish by the end of this year. 

Appreciate all the inputs! Thanks

I don't think it's too high on their list. I got into mac PT without much research experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I don’t think I will get admitted to OT program this year. But I did get into nursing . I wonder if it is helpful to get into OT as an experienced nurse? Any input would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, rrxxccooll said:

Hi everyone, I don’t think I will get admitted to OT program this year. But I did get into nursing . I wonder if it is helpful to get into OT as an experienced nurse? Any input would be appreciated.

Hey, I can’t answer your question, but I think you might be better off doing a 1year masters. I feel like it wouldn’t be a good idea to take a place away from someone in a nursing program if you have no intent of being a nurse (I think it’s similar to how people feel about people going into OT/PT programs because they want to do something before med school). I’m not sure if you would be looking to increase your GPA or just improve experiences and references. I think either way, it would difficult to improve any of those aspects in a nursing program because it is challenging.

 

Edit: I should add though, that maybe you will start nursing and realize that’s what you’re passionate about and choose to stay in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, rrxxccooll said:

Hi everyone, I don’t think I will get admitted to OT program this year. But I did get into nursing . I wonder if it is helpful to get into OT as an experienced nurse? Any input would be appreciated.

I would recommend taking a year off to work, volunteer, gain experience etc, or increase your gpa, which may be challenging in a nursing program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oohtea said:

Hi! Congrats on your McGill offer! Do you mind sharing your grades and experience? When did you get the offer? I also applied for OT QY but my application is still under review. 

Hey,

Thank you! My cGPA is 3.66/4 (my ORPAS sGPA is 3.65, but i don't know if McGill takes into account the extra courses I took to upgrade my GPA so i'm not quite sure how they calculated my sGPA) and I have approximately 250 hours of volunteering in PT clinics and shadowing PTs, OTs, PTAs, and kinesiologists in 3 physiotherapy clinics (2 of which are mainly sports injury clinics and one is neurophysiotherapy). I also worked at the children's hospital as an interpreter, and a lot of interpretations were between pediatric PTs and patients, so I also kind of observed/have some knowledge of that specialty. Since my GPA isn't high, I imagine my video statement (where I talked about my experience in those clinics/hospital) and my resume were what got me into the program!

I got an offer from McGill PT QY on May 1. I accepted it because the deadline was May 21, but I'm probably gonna withdraw from the program soon because I also got waitlisted for McMaster PT at #3 so I'm hopeful that I will get an offer from them as well (and Mac is my first choice). I got rejected from both OT QY and PT QY at McGill last year on May 2nd, so if you still didn't hear back from them, you're probably on the waitlist. Have you tried contacting them to ask if you are on the waitlist?

I was planning on sharing more of my experience, the universities I applied to, and the ones I got accepted to/rejected from once I know for sure if I'm getting an offer from McMaster, but these are the main points. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone!

Information for future PT applicants for

Applied: UBC, U of A, U of T, McMaster
Accepted: U of A (was accepted off the waitlist on May 13), U of T (was accepted off the waitlist on June 16), UBC (was accepted off waitlist July 2)
Waitlisted:
Rejected: McMaster (after interview)
GPA: ORPAS= c-gpa=3.79 sgpa= 3.93, UBC- last 30 credits (of upper level courses)= 92%, U of A last 60 credits- 90%= 4.0/4.0
 

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I have volunteered as a physiotherapy assistant ~ 180 hours throughout my undergrad at UBCO, with special olympic athletes ~30 hours, as a spin instructor at a gym ~ 200 hours. Additionally I have worked (paid employment) as a receptionist at a wellness clinic that has chiro, RMT, Reike, and acupuncture and as a figure skating coach.

I think my reference letters were very strong. Both professors I got to know very well through classes and office hours. If I have any advice is to get to know your profs so that they can speak about you as a student, your character, and the things you do in your community. One of my references was from a prof that I did my 499 with (undergrad research assistant). For those that go to UBCO/UBC I found that doing a 499 over a 401 was more beneficial as I was already getting the hands on experience from volunteering in the physio clinic. Additionally, if I did not do a 499 then the section about research on my application would have been blank (I'm not sure how much having research experience impacts your application). It was also a great learning opportunity to be in the lab working on research. My community reference came from the physio clinic that I volunteered at. With that being said a 401 is still an amazing experience too.

I studying for the CASPER and MMI's I found that online resources and books were very helpful. Additionally, I practiced a lot for the MMI's in a group with other applicants (just with practice questions we found online). I think my CASPER was fairly strong. I was a little bit nervous for the MMI in Vancouver and feel like I could have answered some of the interview questions better than I did. I also think my CAP exam was pretty solid- I used the whole 2 hours to write the exam and I feel like I was prepared as it was my last "interview" and all the other practice questions I did for the MMI's helped. I feel like my McMaster interview was the weakest for sure. I was my first interview for all the schools and I could have answered those questions better I think.

I believe that my essays for UBC were pretty strong just reflecting on personal experiences and how they have impacted my life.

 

UBC is my first choice so I am hoping to get off the waitlist still but I am very happy that I have been accepted to U of A (OOP). Good luck to everyone still on waitlsts or applying again next year :)

 

I have accepted my UBC offer and rescinded my acceptance to U of A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got an email from kelly, and I guess the waitlist for Dal still depends on seat allocations. She told me I am top half of the PEI waitlist...Kinda discouraging considering PEI only has two seats and those people probably won't decline their offer..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, IslandPTgal said:

I just got an email from kelly, and I guess the waitlist for Dal still depends on seat allocations. She told me I am top half of the PEI waitlist...Kinda discouraging considering PEI only has two seats and those people probably won't decline their offer..

But also the seats that aren’t allocated to a specific province!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2020 at 9:37 PM, PTbound07 said:

I might be going to Brunel in the fall, if that’s what you choose as well pm me! I’m also from BC lol 

BC resident here! Also accepted to Brunel so at least I know I can start in September! Waitlisted for UBC and the wait is killing me :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IslandPTgal said:

I just got an email from kelly, and I guess the waitlist for Dal still depends on seat allocations. She told me I am top half of the PEI waitlist...Kinda discouraging considering PEI only has two seats and those people probably won't decline their offer..

Are you emailing OTadmissions@dal or Kelly directly? They never answer my emails and I want to know my place on the waitlist too :( I’m also from PEI so I feel you.. I can’t imagine someone not accepting from PEI 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lina said:

Hey,

Thank you! My cGPA is 3.66/4 (my ORPAS sGPA is 3.65, but i don't know if McGill takes into account the extra courses I took to upgrade my GPA so i'm not quite sure how they calculated my sGPA) and I have approximately 250 hours of volunteering in PT clinics and shadowing PTs, OTs, PTAs, and kinesiologists in 3 physiotherapy clinics (2 of which are mainly sports injury clinics and one is neurophysiotherapy). I also worked at the children's hospital as an interpreter, and a lot of interpretations were between pediatric PTs and patients, so I also kind of observed/have some knowledge of that specialty. Since my GPA isn't high, I imagine my video statement (where I talked about my experience in those clinics/hospital) and my resume were what got me into the program!

I got an offer from McGill PT QY on May 1. I accepted it because the deadline was May 21, but I'm probably gonna withdraw from the program soon because I also got waitlisted for McMaster PT at #3 so I'm hopeful that I will get an offer from them as well (and Mac is my first choice). I got rejected from both OT QY and PT QY at McGill last year on May 2nd, so if you still didn't hear back from them, you're probably on the waitlist. Have you tried contacting them to ask if you are on the waitlist?

I was planning on sharing more of my experience, the universities I applied to, and the ones I got accepted to/rejected from once I know for sure if I'm getting an offer from McMaster, but these are the main points. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Hello there, thanks so much for replying!

My cGPA for McGill is more or less the same as yours (converted from 3.66/4.3) but I have half as much volunteer experience as you :/ Mostly in pediatric serving kids with special education needs, as well as some other less relevant volunteer and student committee experience in mental health and serving refugees. Bracing myself to apply again next year after more volunteer experience in different settings and perhaps public health research experience (my undergraduate degree is not that relevant - Political Science). 

I've contacted them and they just said the results will be released May/June. Pretty sure I'm on the wait list since it's still in review now. Going to have my UBC interview soon (I'm an international student). Fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone here interviewed for UBC MOT program? 

I'm an international student about to have my interview soon (delayed due to COVID). I have massive anxiety when it comes to interviews so I'd appreciate any pointers about the interview and the directions I should prepare for. So far, I've reviewed my personal experience and prepared for some CASPer-like situational questions. Are there any technical questions/trickier ones that are out of the standard MMI?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, posting this for future applicants:

Applied: UBC PT (In province applicant)

Accepted: UBC PT

sGPA: approx. 3.89/4.33 (4.0 Being A average)

Volunteer/EC's: 90 hours of hospital physio volunteering working with mostly geriatric patients with slip and falls, strokes. surgeries, neurological diseases, accidents. Although the hours were low, the experience itself was extremely valuable as I was working with patients with physical and mental disablities. I tried my best to highlight what I learned from that experience (ex. communicating with patients who have hearing or visual impairments), and building rapport with them. I had about 8 months of research experience studying bioinformatics (calcium mobilization during pregnancy) in a cell biology lab (my degree was in cellular biology). My references were from my research professor, and another professor who taught me, and I think both were positive although I did not get to see them. My other reference was from the hospital volunteer coordinators, and again I did not see what they wrote. I felt like I did well on the casper and felt confident during the MMI. I really tried my best to be myself during the interview and I think I came across well. I also had tutoring experience which included children with disabilities such as autism, and other intellectual disabilities. I really tried to highlight my experience working with vulnerable age groups in my application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...