Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

41 minutes ago, OTH0PEFUL97 said:

Hey can someone elaborate on the level C or BLS CPR required for Mac OT. Is the deadline still July 31, 2020? 

BLS replaced the HCP (health care provider) CPR. My understanding is that the BLS level of CPR is geared towards professionals and first responders. CPR-C is more general in nature, I had CPR-C for my summer jobs throughout high school. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the CPR-C certification lasts longer than BLS (1 year cert vs. 2-3 years)? 

And yes, it is due July 31st, OR once CPR courses resume (https://srs-mcmaster.ca/ot-year-one-requirements/#ByulXlTf). If you have it you should submit it by this date but given that many CPR courses are on hold, I think they are being lenient. 

I will likely be accepting McMaster OT too! So see you soon hopefully :)

6 hours ago, PTorOT? said:

BLS replaced the HCP (health care provider) CPR. My understanding is that the BLS level of CPR is geared towards professionals and first responders. CPR-C is more general in nature, I had CPR-C for my summer jobs throughout high school. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the CPR-C certification lasts longer than BLS (1 year cert vs. 2-3 years)? 

And yes, it is due July 31st, OR once CPR courses resume (https://srs-mcmaster.ca/ot-year-one-requirements/#ByulXlTf). If you have it you should submit it by this date but given that many CPR courses are on hold, I think they are being lenient. 

I will likely be accepting McMaster OT too! So see you soon hopefully :)

Thank you !! I appreciate the insight. I actually don't have my CPR-C training, so hoping I can complete that as soon as possible. There are a number of CPR-C, do you know which one would be best? Yes, see you soon hopefully!

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 9.09.31 PM.png

Hi! Future applicant here. Regarding academic references, does it have to be a professor who has taught you in a class? I have been volunteering in a research lab and was thinking of asking the professor of that lab to be my academic reference even though I've never been taught by him - would that be okay?

7 minutes ago, OT18 said:

Has anyone received any sort of login for Queens? I know Western and UofT sent theirs out prior to a decision, but I haven't received anything for Queens. 

I personally have not for PT! I’m assuming we will get ones once our conditional offers become unconditional offers, AKA when they receive our transcript.

21 minutes ago, PTPLEASE! said:

Hi! Future applicant here. Regarding academic references, does it have to be a professor who has taught you in a class? I have been volunteering in a research lab and was thinking of asking the professor of that lab to be my academic reference even though I've never been taught by him - would that be okay?

Yep! That's totally okay. Here's a quote from UofT's website - from my knowledge all Ontario schools (idk about Ottawa) require 1 academic and 1 professional reference. Dalhousie requires 2 academic + 1 professional. 

"We require one academic reference and one professional reference. Both referees should be individuals who can address your aptitude for studies in a health profession. Referees should also have direct knowledge of the applicant and should be in a position to reasonably make statements concerning the applicant’s character, communication and academic capabilities, and special circumstances if applicable. Additionally, the academic reference must be from the university level, such as a professor or course instructor. A common example of a professional reference is a supervisor in either a volunteer or employment setting."

I believe they must also hold a position in the university, such that they must be a professor or course instructor. So for example your supervisor would count, but a masters student or post doc fellow in your lab would not. 

I would recommend that you try and build a great relationship with them as much as you can! They should be able to speak to all of your skills. Make sure you have/make opportunities where you can showcase those with your prof :)

2 hours ago, OTH0PEFUL97 said:

Thank you !! I appreciate the insight. I actually don't have my CPR-C training, so hoping I can complete that as soon as possible. There are a number of CPR-C, do you know which one would be best? Yes, see you soon hopefully!

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 9.09.31 PM.png

You'd have to do the full certification. First Aid is not required so CPR BLS (HCP) or CPR-C + AED will do!

@OT1996 Honestly all the OT programs are really great. For me it was mostly location based. Toronto I've heard have good teaching hospitals. I went to their open house and enjoyed the atmosphere as well. It also depends on your preference for teaching style. For example Mac and Western have problem-based learning which is helpful for some people. 

1 hour ago, gummy2020 said:

Yep! That's totally okay. Here's a quote from UofT's website - from my knowledge all Ontario schools (idk about Ottawa) require 1 academic and 1 professional reference. Dalhousie requires 2 academic + 1 professional. 

"We require one academic reference and one professional reference. Both referees should be individuals who can address your aptitude for studies in a health profession. Referees should also have direct knowledge of the applicant and should be in a position to reasonably make statements concerning the applicant’s character, communication and academic capabilities, and special circumstances if applicable. Additionally, the academic reference must be from the university level, such as a professor or course instructor. A common example of a professional reference is a supervisor in either a volunteer or employment setting."

I believe they must also hold a position in the university, such that they must be a professor or course instructor. So for example your supervisor would count, but a masters student or post doc fellow in your lab would not. 

I would recommend that you try and build a great relationship with them as much as you can! They should be able to speak to all of your skills. Make sure you have/make opportunities where you can showcase those with your prof :)

Thank you for this! Do you know anything regarding UBC about academic references? I wasn't able to find anything on if it can be supervisor from a lab :/ 

Hello! Has anyone else accepted to UBC or UBC NRC PT heard from them about if the fall semester is online?  I have been patiently waiting for an update email to go to my UBC email but have not received anything.  I just want to know if I should be looking for housing for the fall or not

23 minutes ago, PT2020! said:

Hello! Has anyone else accepted to UBC or UBC NRC PT heard from them about if the fall semester is online?  I have been patiently waiting for an update email to go to my UBC email but have not received anything.  I just want to know if I should be looking for housing for the fall or not

I haven't heard anything either. I do have siblings that are doing their undergrad their and their classes are completely online till December. As for us, I have no idea :/ I'm assuming some labs may be online but that's just a guess.

3 hours ago, IslandPTgal said:

Hi everyone,

quick question...if you are just on the waitlist do you have to send final transcripts to schools before hearing anything, or only if you get an offer? I read a few posts about it and I need some clarification. 

When I emailed OT admissions about it (stating I was waitlisted in the email) Kelly said to send my transcripts. I also had pre-reqs that they didn’t have my marks for last semester so I think it makes sense to send them! 

6 hours ago, IslandPTgal said:

Hi everyone,

quick question...if you are just on the waitlist do you have to send final transcripts to schools before hearing anything, or only if you get an offer? I read a few posts about it and I need some clarification. 

I'm also wondering for PT waitlist. I checked on OPRAS and it said they must receive final transcript if you have received an offer of admission or have a decision pending by June 30th. Does pending also refer to those waitlisted?

image.thumb.png.1254c4bd6d45a0d5f6e0e40bcf2291e3.png