Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
ptmandem

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, OT1996 said:

Hi all,

I'm still very much on the fence about OT schools and still deciding between UofT, mac, and queens. I wanted to choose the program that will set me up for success and ease me into the clinical stuff. I've looked into the courses but really they all teach the same stuff. Also UofT and queens do still implement case studies everywhere in their curriculum so I don't see how it really becomes different than problem based learning.

Only things I found different were

- McMaster does the first placement very early (which makes me a bit nervous)

- UofT does musculoskeletal and neuro in the same semester together whereas mac and queens separate it, so I'm thinking that would be challenging. 

- Queens seems to have a way heavier course load (6-7 courses)

Can someone help! What made you guys make your decisions?

Any help/advice please,? Very confused and not getting anywhere with my decision making

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, OT1996 said:

Hey what made you choose Queens?

Hey! I was choosing between UofT Mississauga campus and Western, so my decision was a little different from yours. I didn't love the videoconferencing aspect of UTM, plus the cost of living in Toronto, so that narrowed that one down for me. Between Queen's and Western, I chose Queen's after talking to some students who are currently in the program. They raved about how hands on the program was (when I talked to people from UTM and Western, it seemed to be an aspect that was lacking a little bit and this is how I find I learn best). I also really like the idea of the learning groups at Queen's - you get paired with I think 7 others and basically do everything with them throughout the year, and then you get a new group second year. I also liked the smaller class size of Queen's compared to UofT. It sounds like a really great way to get to know people better. Queen's also does 4 long placements instead of 5 shorter ones which I find more valuable, especially considering these placements may be where you find a job after grad. 

Overall, I also have heard SO many good things about Kingston (super walkable, lots of green space, beautiful campus). The programs are all so similar and all have some really great pros and cons so it was not an easy decision. I think its good to remember that no matter where you choose, you are going to get a great education and meet some amazing people. Everyone I talked to who's currently in each program raved about it so there's no wrong choice! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

I had a question with provisional acceptances. If I provisionally accept one, it asks for other schools I want consideration in. Say I provisionally accept queens and want consideration in western and McMaster. If western contacts me saying I got in from the waitlist, will McMaster still contact me if I get in from the waitlist after? Assuming I don’t firmly accept anything at that point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OTH0PEFUL97 said:

Did anyone else join UofT and McMasters OT information sessions? I feel like McMasters wasn't as structured/clear. 

I did. Are you deciding between mac and UofT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OT1996 said:

I did. Are you deciding between mac and UofT?

Yes I am! I'm leaning towards Mac because I think I'd really benefit from having that close contact with a clinician in the pbl groups, and I like how their curriculum is structured. From my understanding concepts are built upon with the 3 courses throughout the terms. I am a bit apprehensive with the pbl and self directed learning as my undergrad at Waterloo was more traditional and would probably align more with UofTs style. But it seems like all the OT programs incorporate some sort of pbl and small group work or are working to incorporate that style. 

Uoft seems to be more theory based and cost of living would just be way too expensive at St. George campus. 

What are your thoughts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OTH0PEFUL97 said:

Yes I am! I'm leaning towards Mac because I think I'd really benefit from having that close contact with a clinician in the pbl groups, and I like how their curriculum is structured. From my understanding concepts are built upon with the 3 courses throughout the terms. I am a bit apprehensive with the pbl and self directed learning as my undergrad at Waterloo was more traditional and would probably align more with UofTs style. But it seems like all the OT programs incorporate some sort of pbl and small group work or are working to incorporate that style. 

Uoft seems to be more theory based and cost of living would just be way too expensive at St. George campus. 

What are your thoughts? 

I'm deciding between Queens mac and UofT. Tbh I'm a bit stressed out by the thought of PBL and if I end up hating it I'm stuck with it for 2 years. That why I'm leaning toward Queens and UofT. I'm from the GTA area so I'd commute an hour and be close to my support system if I went to UofT. Also I am a more theory research person. I also don't drive and I heard that with UofT program all the placements are accessible by bus. So UofT fits for convenience sake (but I also heard commuting gets tiring, plus the giant class size and rigidity of the University in general make me feel uncomfortable. I feel that they would not be as accommodating.). With Queens program there seems to be a much heavier course load (6-7)? I only took 3-4 courses in undergrad so I'm a bit afraid of that. It's a very tough decision to make... Sigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PTTTTTl9987 said:

For PT waitlist are first round offers going out on the 12th or should we expect a little later? Like the 14th?

So first round offers are DUE on the 12th and you will hear back regarding waitlist offers after the 12th of June (I would assume starting Monday the 15th)  until aug 31st depending where you are on the waitlist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, PTforLife319 said:

Hi all,

 

I had a question with provisional acceptances. If I provisionally accept one, it asks for other schools I want consideration in. Say I provisionally accept queens and want consideration in western and McMaster. If western contacts me saying I got in from the waitlist, will McMaster still contact me if I get in from the waitlist after? Assuming I don’t firmly accept anything at that point

Assuming you don't firmly accept, I'm sure Mcmaster will still contact you. But how many times can you provisionally accept? I don't know about other schools but for Western you will have to reply to their offer within 24 hours :o ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, OT1996 said:

I'm deciding between Queens mac and UofT. Tbh I'm a bit stressed out by the thought of PBL and if I end up hating it I'm stuck with it for 2 years. That why I'm leaning toward Queens and UofT. I'm from the GTA area so I'd commute an hour and be close to my support system if I went to UofT. Also I am a more theory research person. I also don't drive and I heard that with UofT program all the placements are accessible by bus. So UofT fits for convenience sake (but I also heard commuting gets tiring, plus the giant class size and rigidity of the University in general make me feel uncomfortable. I feel that they would not be as accommodating.). With Queens program there seems to be a much heavier course load (6-7)? I only took 3-4 courses in undergrad so I'm a bit afraid of that. It's a very tough decision to make... Sigh.

Yeah I completely agree, I don't know how much of a learning curve there will be with PBL. Seems like UofT makes the most sense for you! Either way, I think there is no wrong choice.  Best of luck and feel free to pm me if you wanna discuss more :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you that have accepted your offer from UofT OT, did you get an email after you paid your deposit?  I didn’t and my account shows a credit. Getting nervous that I did something wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, OT0213 said:

For those of you that have accepted your offer from UofT OT, did you get an email after you paid your deposit?  I didn’t and my account shows a credit. Getting nervous that I did something wrong. 

Hey yes, I got an order confirmation/receipt to my email after I accepted the UofT OT offer. 

However, if your ACORN changed to "Credit Balance" and the deposit amount you paid rather than something like outstanding admission deposit then I think it went through. Have you checked your spam folders for the email? It also wouldn't hurt to contact UofT to check! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gummy said:

Hey yes, I got an order confirmation/receipt to my email after I accepted the UofT OT offer. 

However, if your ACORN changed to "Credit Balance" and the deposit amount you paid rather than something like outstanding admission deposit then I think it went through. Have you checked your spam folders for the email? It also wouldn't hurt to contact UofT to check! 

Thanks. I’ll check that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OT_dream said:

This may have asked already sorry! But is there a Facebook group for McMaster OT?

The current McMaster OT students will create one for us after first round offers expire (tomorrow)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, 

Is anyone having a difficult time choosing between Western and Mac? I've narrowed it down to those two schools, but am having difficulty choosing which one would be best for me. Any insight from anyone who has recently accepted offers from one of those two schools would be amazing!! 

Congrats to everyone who has accepted their offers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ptmandem said:

i didnt get the chance to check out the queens PT open house on zoom. If anyone has, could you share a bit about what they said they'd do for the fall semester

They just sent a recorded video of it. Did you receive that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...