Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

30 minutes ago, KforOT said:

If anyone emails U of T OT for the waitlist, do you mind letting us know what they reply?

I emailed for PT and they said they will only contact applicants during business hours (weekdays). Kinda frustrating as people will decline their offers this weekend and we wont have the chance to get off the waitlist if our provisional acceptances for other schools becomes firm on Sunday :(

3 hours ago, OT-InTheMaking-2020 said:

They must send out more offers than seats if they're at “full capacity” 

I recall Queen’s mentioning they have a small OT class this year (50), so maybe other schools are taking this route as well? Maybe that could be contributing to limited spots & lack of waitlist movement

19 minutes ago, Strawbaby said:

I recall Queen’s mentioning they have a small OT class this year (50), so maybe other schools are taking this route as well? Maybe that could be contributing to limited spots & lack of waitlist movement

What was the purpose of this? I’m on the waitlist for Queens and the waiting is killing me 

29 minutes ago, BigdreamsOT said:

What was the purpose of this? I’m on the waitlist for Queens and the waiting is killing me 

I've heard from friends currently in PT school and accepted for 2020 (in Ontario, dunno about other provinces) that schools may be taking fewer people this year due to COVID because getting people placements has been roughhhhhhh. Don't quote me though, just a possibility

1 hour ago, Strawbaby said:

How many students does Queens OT usually recruit ? Where do you see queens mention the small class size?

22 minutes ago, WaitingOnOT said:

Have any OOP Dal applicants been accepted to OT? 

I know a couple people from OOP that were accepted and I’m a PEI resident and was waitlisted so I’m pretty positive they sent out the initial acceptances already! 

38 minutes ago, PTPTPT said:

I've heard from friends currently in PT school and accepted for 2020 (in Ontario, dunno about other provinces) that schools may be taking fewer people this year due to COVID because getting people placements has been roughhhhhhh. Don't quote me though, just a possibility

That’s horrible. I know it’s out of their control but to miss out because of COVID would be absolutely heartbreaking

7 minutes ago, Otdalq said:

I know a couple people from OOP that were accepted and I’m a PEI resident and was waitlisted so I’m pretty positive they sent out the initial acceptances already! 

Good to know! I was waitlisted too but haven't heard of anyone OOP receiving a firm acceptance, and was wondering if the seat requirements had anything to play into that! 

9 minutes ago, BigdreamsOT said:

That’s horrible. I know it’s out of their control but to miss out because of COVID would be absolutely heartbreaking

Definitely, and I may be end up being one of those people lol, but guess we'll never know. But it is rough being in the program during COVID for some current students I've talked to, so I wouldn't feel quite as bummed missing out on an abnormal year compared to a "normal" year, if that makes sense

But there are others I've talked to who've adapted quite well so I don't want to be a downer here - just trying to look on the bright side should I not get in :)

Applied + (PT or OT?): OT UBC and McGill OT QY 
Accepted: UBC
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: McGill
GPA:c-gpa 3.66/4.33, ~3.6/4 (McGill), sGPA ~3.9/4.33 (UBC)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

1 year working as a teaching assistant for children with special education needs in a primary school (co-teaching, leading focus groups for dyslexic kids, individualised education program for an autistic child), 70 hours shadowing at a pediatric centre for pre-school SEN children. Member of the executive committee for a student society promoting mental health awareness.  Peer support in university. Volunteering for mental health and environmental organisations. Internship for the United Nations and other NGOs (communications). 

My UBC essay touched on the post stroke recovery of a family member and things I learnt from my job teaching SEN children. I think I did well in the interview, gave thorough and heartfelt answers and built rapport with the interviewers. Strong references from my research supervisor (a professor I got an A from) and the peds OT I shadowed for months. 

PS. International student, not a health-related undergrad, just for those who will worry about the same thing as me in the future :)  Just go for it and get as much relevant experience as possible, really try to talk to and learn from the therapists you meet. Shoutout to people who've helped me on this thread and best of luck for everyone!

Anyone knows if there's a Facebook group for UBC OT cohort? Also, I'm confused about the housing situation since I heard a lot of Canadian schools are teaching online for the fall semester but UBC seems to want to begin orientation as usual in late August? And allows smaller face-to-face classes too so I assume OT courses fall under this. 

I know Western OT will have a smaller class size than usual. I believe this year there are 62 seats but I can’t recall how many there were in previous years.

I started a FB group for us all though so make sure to join if you haven’t and you have been accepted! They will make an official group once the class list is finalized but for now, we have a couple second-years as well as the director of the OT school in the unofficial group who have been sharing some info. It should pop up if you type Western OT: Class of 2022 into your search bar! :) 

23 minutes ago, HayleyRS said:

I know Western OT will have a smaller class size than usual. I believe this year there are 62 seats but I can’t recall how many there were in previous years.

I started a FB group for us all though so make sure to join if you haven’t and you have been accepted! They will make an official group once the class list is finalized but for now, we have a couple second-years as well as the director of the OT school in the unofficial group who have been sharing some info. It should pop up if you type Western OT: Class of 2022 into your search bar! :) 

Do you know if Western OT is still sending out waitlist offers or is the class now full? :)

27 minutes ago, rOT17 said:

Do you know if Western OT is still sending out waitlist offers or is the class now full? :)

I am still getting the occasional join request and the second-years don’t have an official group made yet which leads me to believe that the class might not be full yet! But I don’t know for sure unfortunately.