Premed 101 Forums
ptmandem

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

13 hours ago, PTOTHOPEFUL said:

Haven’t heard anything either !

16 hours ago, newtoOT said:

Thank you!! How would one find opportunities to volunteer in private OT clinics - is it just a matter of contacting them and seeing if they can take you on?

Yeah I usually just either went into the clinic or emailed the clinic just expressing interest and including a resume. 

On 3/2/2020 at 12:37 PM, lalalalaura said:

Hi! 

This year I've only applied to one school as I am currently finishing up my degree in health science from TRU. If unsuccessful this year, I will be using the information from this forum to build a stronger application for next year! :) 

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT U of A (as OOP applicant)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: U of A calculates competitive GPA based on most recent 60 credits: 3.89/4.0 and gives extra weight to advanced anatomy prereq: 4.33/4.0
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

- 2x seasons as volunteer adaptive ski instructor/sport coach for athletes with disabilities (~200 hours)

- Experience as a physical therapy assistant in acute hospital settings achieved through rehabilitation assistant program practicum experiences (~200 hours)

- Additional education: Marketing Management diploma from BCIT and experience in business as marketing assistant/event assistant/marketing representative [U of A offers a MScPT & MBA program which I am interested in taking which I am hoping my business school experience will be relevant for]

- Informal extracurriculars: Former competitive skier (Amateur); support team member of common law spouse's competitive mountain biking career (Amateur)

Extra notes:

From their site, interviews for U of A MMI are sent out mid-March.

For my interview (if invited) I will be wearing a black pantsuit and a top with a neutral-toned print which are comfortable and easy to move in. I will be wearing loafers which are comfortable to walk in - I might post a picture of me wearing my outfit to this site for confirmation that it is acceptable? My physio (for which I am a patient) wore a blazer to her MMI and she said she felt slightly overdressed (she went to UBC). That being said, my communication style sometimes leans towards too-casual so I'm overdressing as compensation since "overall suitability for the profession" is the criteria which MMIs are evaluated on (as I understand). 

I am preparing for my potential interview by reading an MMI prep book (this site appears to auto delete specific titles but it starts with B and ends with EMO) and scheduling practice sessions with local friends who are physios over the next 7 weeks (I live in Squamish, BC). I am open to meeting any MMI preppers in the lower mainland of BC who are interested in a practicing together! 

Good luck to everyone!

Laura  

Just got invited for PT U of A MMI as an OOP!! Anyone else going to be there April 18? Would love to chat to ya! 

On 3/8/2020 at 12:13 AM, PT OT HOPEFUL said:

Hello everyone! 

Can someone please share how long you have to answer during McMaster's OT MMI? Also, how long do you think your answer should be? I have heard that 2ish minutes is a good target but I thought that you had 8 minutes for your response during an MMI? 

Thanks! 

Hey! I did the MMIs last year & got accepted so I can shed some light on this...For the interviews, you have 2 minutes to read the scenario/question & then 6 minutes to give your answer (so 8 minutes in total)! I would say just try to talk for as long as you can & if you have run out of things to say, don't worry because the interviewees have prompting questions! For the written stations, you get the full 8 minutes to write. 

3 hours ago, PT applicant said:

Heads up, PT MMI invitation for university of Alberta should be going out now, just received  mine couple minutes ago. 

Thanks for the heads up! Out of curiosity, what is the window given to accept or decline the U of A PT MMI?

On 3/5/2020 at 9:43 AM, mjot said:

Thank you!!! Do you have any interview tips or advice???!

Based on what I can remember (I don’t know if it’s the same this year) I would say be clear and confident about why you want to be an OT, and be knowledgeable about the roles of OT in healthcare. As nerve racking as the interview process is, everyone involved is truly lovely and wants you to succeed, so try to relax as much as you can, be genuine, and make it clear that you’re passionate about this field. Good luck :) 

1 hour ago, rehabhopeful said:

Never mind, just received it now. I am in province.

Glad you got it! Is anyone else waiting on one for out of province? I have heard in the past that you basically need a 4.0 to get OOP interview (which I don't have), so I am wondering about others' status right now. 

5 minutes ago, excitedforfuture said:

Glad you got it! Is anyone else waiting on one for out of province? I have heard in the past that you basically need a 4.0 to get OOP interview (which I don't have), so I am wondering about others' status right now. 

Hi! I also saw some correspondence that said last's year's cutoff for OOP was 4.0, so I didn't think I'd get an interview, but I got one with 3.9ish! 

U of A sent me this email after I confirmed my attendance: 

"Invitations to the April 18 MMI were issued on March 9. Invitations to the alternate MMI will be issued after March 23, or sooner if there are cancellations. " 

Just FYI :) Good luck!

How did everyone find the Kira Talent Mac PT interview? I felt okay about it but my written question was pretty weird so I didn't get much down for that. 

14 hours ago, LMC said:

How did everyone find the Kira Talent Mac PT interview? I felt okay about it but my written question was pretty weird so I didn't get much down for that. 

I felt it was ok. I was thrown off a bit at the types of questions asked on the actual interview, as I was expecting more traditional style interview questions based on all I had read. I wish there had been more personal type questions to really show myself off as an individual, but I suppose those ones are harder to score quantitatively. Overall I think it was a fare mix of situational judgement questions and personal ones. 

17 hours ago, LMC said:

Felt it went very well, every question I easily thought of a response and used the full time every one, who knows though.

18 hours ago, LMC said:

I personally found it very rushed and awkward.  I tried talking directly to my camera and not look at myself on the screen, but I found myself having trouble formulating my answer as I got use to 6minutes mmi style as I did UBC one the day before.  The written was better than the spoken ones for me imo. Guess we'll see!