Premed 101 Forums

Pediatrics Job Market

MedLad

28 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

Outpatient is booming, inpatient is fine. There will always be enough referrals from the community to gen peds. 

Thanks! I'm primarily interested in outpatient, so that works well. 

One more question: would most of these job openings be posted online, say ca.indeed.com? I found very few pediatrician jobs there (the biggest job site in Canada), which is why I was concerned.

Met a PGY-4 peds resident a few months ago about to finish residency and go on a 4 month vacation in Europe
Asked if she had a job lined up after already or if she was concerned about finding one when she gets back after taking such a long break from residency

Her response was basically nope and I have no concerns about finding one whenever I need to

So pretty much it doesn't sound like the peds job market is anything to worry about currently lol

13 hours ago, MedLad said:

Thanks! I'm primarily interested in outpatient, so that works well. 

One more question: would most of these job openings be posted online, say ca.indeed.com? I found very few pediatrician jobs there (the biggest job site in Canada), which is why I was concerned.

Just the same as you wont see many family doctor jobs posted. There will be plenty of groups willing to take you on in their outpatient clinics, and take a cut of your fees. Also nothing stoping you from setting up your own clinic, like family docs do too, and just get referrals coming in.

12 hours ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

Met a PGY-4 peds resident a few months ago about to finish residency and go on a 4 month vacation in Europe
Asked if she had a job lined up after already or if she was concerned about finding one when she gets back after taking such a long break from residency

Her response was basically nope and I have no concerns about finding one whenever I need to

So pretty much it doesn't sound like the peds job market is anything to worry about currently lol

3 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Just the same as you wont see many family doctor jobs posted. There will be plenty of groups willing to take you on in their outpatient clinics, and take a cut of your fees. Also nothing stoping you from setting up your own clinic, like family docs do too, and just get referrals coming in.

Thanks guys