Premed 101 Forums

Do you get thank you cards/token of appreciation for elective preceptors and/or teams?

If there was a preceptor who took you under their wing for the elective, I think a thank you card would be a nice gesture. Teaching really does take a lot of mental effort and energy. If the contact was more casual, then perhaps email or verbal thanks would suffice.

With regards to treats, everyone likes them, and it shows you are keen to be considered as a future applicant. But I don't think it makes a difference as to how strong your candidacy will be felt to be.

The people I know who did this sorta stuff did not match well lol. I think it's an honest coincidence though, either that or they knew they were weaker applicants and tried to make it up in other ways.

I don't think it makes a real difference either way, but yeah everyone likes free coffee and food.

Personally, I wouldn't. Mayyyybe a thank you card. And if I am rotating in one place for a few months as a resident, then maybe I'd get muffins/donuts as a thank you and good bye for everyone in the office/team. 

If you really want to show up with treats on your last day, I'd give your co-clerks a heads up, and see if they want to join in. 

I think, you return the favour by passing it on i.e. treat your juniors the way you wanted to be treated when you were junior.

• 5 weeks later...