Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2020 Interviews -- DISCUSSIONS

btdubs

I was under the impression that CaRMS now has the interview feature on their website that tells you if you are offered an interview, declined, or waitlisted. Doesn't this sort of negate the need to track when invites etc are coming out? Unlike previous years where you may not know invites went out but you didn't get one. 

9 minutes ago, MarsRover said:

I was under the impression that CaRMS now has the interview feature on their website that tells you if you are offered an interview, declined, or waitlisted. Doesn't this sort of negate the need to track when invites etc are coming out? Unlike previous years where you may not know invites went out but you didn't get one. 

Doesn't mean schools can't just defer "declining" you until a later date, i.e. after interviews are completed.  It may be in some schools best interests to do a silent rejection, or silent waitlist, and offer an interview at a later date if too many of their preferred interview candidates decline them. 

Hence the value of this thread for those currently undergoing CaRMS :)

1 hour ago, JohnGrisham said:

Doesn't mean schools can't just defer "declining" you until a later date, i.e. after interviews are completed.  It may be in some schools best interests to do a silent rejection, or silent waitlist, and offer an interview at a later date if too many of their preferred interview candidates decline them. 

Fair enough !

15 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

plus schools are notorious for not updating anything for the negative cases. Leaving you hanging ha - I mean in the past they could have just told everyone at the same time - yes/no. They never seem to. 

11 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Even with a discount, AIRBNB is still probably cheaper depending where youre going.

Just make sure you get a good place either way :) - including having some of the extras a hotel might now to help business travellers (like an iron for instance - it's always the little things). 

Nothing worse than saving 40 dollars and ending up getting a crappy nights sleep etc. and blowing the interview ha. 

3 hours ago, capcom18 said:

any idea how many total applicants?

No idea unfortunately. My hope is that it will balance out. There seems to be a lot of interest from my school (6ish people) and I heard that a Western Canadian program has a group of like 10 interested people, but in talking with other students there are also schools with no one pursuing rads. My hope is that it’ll even out to be an average year.