Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
btdubs

CaRMS 2020 Interviews -- DISCUSSIONS

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, STT said:

I remember last year I got rejection for Ontario FM on November 28th. The same day they sent invitations to people.

That what exactly happened with me last year too! That's why I'm wondering this year if not receiving a rejection or an invitation at this point, would that considered to be a positive or a negative thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t really know maybe this year they have a waiting list. Last year they sent me a rejection on November 28th exactly the same day they sent invitations to some. However, This year to my surprise they sent invitation on November 30th!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mayada said:

Interview prep is vital. Anyone using professional services for that? 

The main people who want to make it seem that its "vital" is the prep companies. Its mostly them that prey on IMGs who are desperate to tip the odds. But generally speaking, interview prep companies are no going to make the huge difference between getting in and out at this point, especially given the huge variation in types of candidates schools look for. Its your whole life that has taken you to this point, rely on those experiences. This is of course assuming no language barriers, awkward social skills etc etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 1:33 PM, med1010 said:

Do programs usually send out invites on a variety of dates? Curious since some McMaster psych invites seem to have gone out today.

quite common overall - there is often one poor overload person doing all of this somewhere. It is like some things in med applications - to us it is one of the most important times professionally in our lives. For them it is one more task they will do professionally within a long, long list of other tasks - you have to cut them some slack in that regard :)

Edited by rmorelan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 10:18 AM, JohnGrisham said:

The main people who want to make it seem that its "vital" is the prep companies. Its mostly them that prey on IMGs who are desperate to tip the odds. But generally speaking, interview prep companies are no going to make the huge difference between getting in and out at this point, especially given the huge variation in types of candidates schools look for. Its your whole life that has taken you to this point, rely on those experiences. This is of course assuming no language barriers, awkward social skills etc etc. 

I'm not personally familiar with anyone who did paid prep for residency interviews, its much more common for med school interviews. Doesn't hurt to practice though, maybe with your classmates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows how they're doing interview offers/rejections this year with the new 'interview status' section on the official CaRMs website. Have people been getting emails still?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TACMG said:

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows how they're doing interview offers/rejections this year with the new 'interview status' section on the official CaRMs website. Have people been getting emails still?

On that status page if you select "Immediate" you will be e-mailed as soon as a program offers an interview, and the e-mail just says there's an interview notification and you have to go on the site to see what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jeffery089 said:

On that status page if you select "Immediate" you will be e-mailed as soon as a program offers an interview, and the e-mail just says there's an interview notification and you have to go on the site to see what it is.

Thanks for the prompt response! Do you happen to know if the school's are still emailing people? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, msTRASH said:

Still getting emails directly from schools 1st so far

Thanks! Should I be concerned that my school email is not forwarding correctly if I haven't received any emails (Offers or rejections), but the interview invitations have been sent, according to the other thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TACMG said:

Thanks! Should I be concerned that my school email is not forwarding correctly if I haven't received any emails (Offers or rejections), but the interview invitations have been sent, according to the other thread?

I would say nobody knows at this point given first year of this notification system.

I haven’t received any rejection emails just yet but would guess that schools probably release in waves waiting for people to answer and then going further down their pool? Maybe someone else can chime in with regards to this..

I’ve also received an invite with no update to the carms notification thing over 72 hours after the invite so who knows how well this thing is synced up with communications.

I would anticipate that a rejection notification would only come through once they are confident they won’t invite you anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msTRASH said:

I would say nobody knows at this point given first year of this notification system.

I haven’t received any rejection emails just yet but would guess that schools probably release in waves waiting for people to answer and then going further down their pool? Maybe someone else can chime in with regards to this..

I’ve also received an invite with no update to the carms notification thing over 72 hours after the invite so who knows how well this thing is synced up with communications.

I would anticipate that a rejection notification would only come through once they are confident they won’t invite you anymore.

Thanks! Yea, I suppose it's still too early to tell. I appreciate the input! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, anesthete said:

Some neurology interviews trickling in, albeit slowly, it seems.

Any word on ophthalmology?

None yet as far as I know. Not applying ophtho myself, but I know a couple of people who are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For UBC fam med, looks as if there are four interview dates but open houses on only two of the four- if you end up with a date with no open house (e.g. in Victoria), do you just not really get a chance to hear individual site presentations? Any other disadvantages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...