Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2020 Interviews -- DISCUSSIONS

btdubs

On 12/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, Med111000 said:

Hey, I'm also in a situation where I'm on a couple of waitlists for psych (McMaster, Queen's). Has anyone heard of people getting interviews from the waitlist? 

Hope you're all hanging in there. We did our best and a rejection doesn't mean you aren't a great person (or even candidate). It just means they were looking for something different and that's ok. Keep your heads up! 

Did you manage to get an interview for Calgary? i'm having a real rough time trying to swap my interview times. 

I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat... but I feel like I messed up on replying quickly enough to those emails, even though I thought I was pretty quick :\ . I got interviews to the schools I wanted - but they've all been so unaccommodating to swapping times that I can't seem to find a way to make it work. At this point, I don't see any way out... other than declining half of them because so many are double booked.

Hello,

I’m an IMG. I applied to Saskatchewan only to la Ronge and Saskatoon.

I got a rejection update on CaRMS for la ronge  but nothing from Saskatoon and no emails either.

did anyone get an answer from Saskatoon, it said on the other topics that the response was sent.

Should I email them? 
thank you

On 12/11/2019 at 1:32 PM, Dr. JJ said:

Has anyone else yet had the fun experience of getting a notification in the CARMS portal that you did get an interview for your #1 choice, and then shortly thereafter getting an e-mail saying that, in fact, you didn't 

Really hard to swallow, but I guess some schools are having trouble successfully using the new system in CARMS.

-JJ

Hi!

I just had the same thing happen to me. I saw you said it “self-resolved” on its own after - what did you mean by this? 

Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, Bubbles123 said:

Hi!

I just had the same thing happen to me for a FM program. I saw you said it “self-resolved” on its own after - what did you mean by this? 

Thanks! 

Hiya,

So in this case, it was essentially just a typo. The rejection e-mail was meant to be for a different stream (for which the rejection was accurate), but the admin accidentally wrote the name of the other stream (for which an invite then arrived separately).  So human error, basically, and fairly quickly corrected! 

Hopefully the same occurs for you. According to CARMS (grain of salt due to their own bias), the info on the CARMS portal should be trusted as accurate.  Fingers crossed for you!

-JJ

24 minutes ago, Dr. JJ said:

Hiya,

So in this case, it was essentially just a typo. The rejection e-mail was meant to be for a different stream (for which the rejection was accurate), but the admin accidentally wrote the name of the other stream (for which an invite then arrived separately).  So human error, basically, and fairly quickly corrected! 

Hopefully the same occurs for you. According to CARMS (grain of salt due to their own bias), the info on the CARMS portal should be trusted as accurate.  Fingers crossed for you!

-JJ

Thanks for clarifying!

I only applied for one stream, but I hope it will work out too!

In the CARMS interview invitations there is this posted: 

• Obstetrics and Gynaecology: Montreal (Dec 10), Alberta (Dec 12), UBC (Dec 12), Montfort (Dec 16*), Saskatoon (Dec 16), Regina (Dec 16), Calgary (Dec 16), Queen’s (Dec 17), uOttawa (Dec 17*), Winnipeg (Dec 17), U of T (Dec 17), Dal (Dec 18), NOSM (spots NOT OFFERED, no ministry funding), Western (Dec 18), Dalhousie (Dec 18)
  • Ophthalmology: Manitoba (Dec 11), McGill (Dec 12*), UBC (Dec 13*), Western (Dec 16), Edmonton (Dec 16), USask (Dec 17), Dalhousie (Dec 17), Ottawa (Dec 18*), Dal (Dec 18), NOSM/UoT (Dec 18 - PROGRAM NOT OFFERED)

What does it mean exactly? Does it imply that the spots offered are no longer available ?

For obgyn, NOSM has 1 spot according to the carms website.

And UoT is Toronto ?? It doesn't quite make sense that it the program is not offered. 

3 hours ago, emma.sun said:

In the CARMS interview invitations there is this posted: 

• Obstetrics and Gynaecology: Montreal (Dec 10), Alberta (Dec 12), UBC (Dec 12), Montfort (Dec 16*), Saskatoon (Dec 16), Regina (Dec 16), Calgary (Dec 16), Queen’s (Dec 17), uOttawa (Dec 17*), Winnipeg (Dec 17), U of T (Dec 17), Dal (Dec 18), NOSM (spots NOT OFFERED, no ministry funding), Western (Dec 18), Dalhousie (Dec 18)
  • Ophthalmology: Manitoba (Dec 11), McGill (Dec 12*), UBC (Dec 13*), Western (Dec 16), Edmonton (Dec 16), USask (Dec 17), Dalhousie (Dec 17), Ottawa (Dec 18*), Dal (Dec 18), NOSM/UoT (Dec 18 - PROGRAM NOT OFFERED)

What does it mean exactly? Does it imply that the spots offered are no longer available ?

For obgyn, NOSM has 1 spot according to the carms website.

And UoT is Toronto ?? It doesn't quite make sense that it the program is not offered. 

At least as far as I know, NOSM was unable to confirm their funding for R1 entry positions for these programs, so the seats have been withdrawn. They sent out an email to the OBGYN applicants.  Unsure about Optho.

NOSM's OBGYN program is a combined training program with UofT, hence the wording as such. 

Did anyone find UofT Family Medicine online signup moved lightning fast?!  I logged on at exactly 5:00, and one of the dates was already full.  I selected my second choice date and hit submit, and it took a while but eventually just bounced me back to the sign up page without a confirmation, presumably because the other date was already full.... 

14 hours ago, dbcj said:

Did you manage to get an interview for Calgary? i'm having a real rough time trying to swap my interview times. 

I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat... but I feel like I messed up on replying quickly enough to those emails, even though I thought I was pretty quick :\ . I got interviews to the schools I wanted - but they've all been so unaccommodating to swapping times that I can't seem to find a way to make it work. At this point, I don't see any way out... other than declining half of them because so many are double booked.

Shoot!! Yes, I did but it's not on the date people wanted. I got the 30th but it worked with my other interviews! It's frustrating eh? Once you're granted an interview, it shouldn't be this hard to attend them! Thinking of you and sincerely hope it works out

6 hours ago, Med111000 said:

Shoot!! Yes, I did but it's not on the date people wanted. I got the 30th but it worked with my other interviews! It's frustrating eh? Once you're granted an interview, it shouldn't be this hard to attend them! Thinking of you and sincerely hope it works out

Hey! Yeah no kidding.

Any chance you have a morning interview on the 30th? If I was able to swap for my early afternoon interview it would really save my bacon - I'd be able to do another interview without a red eye flight. 

12 hours ago, mooncake7 said:

Did anyone find UofT Family Medicine online signup moved lightning fast?!  I logged on at exactly 5:00, and one of the dates was already full.  I selected my second choice date and hit submit, and it took a while but eventually just bounced me back to the sign up page without a confirmation, presumably because the other date was already full.... 

This happened to me too. I ended up with Jan 23, hoping to switch to the 27/29.. would be happy to try to coordinate a time to swap if somebody has one of these and wants Dec 23.. Please comment below if you are interested.

Long story short: I did an elective at a program, got good feedback while I was there, but ended up waitlisted.

Is it ok to email the program asking about the likelihood of getting an interview, or maybe even asking them to reconsider?
Not sure what the protocol is for waitlists. It is a popular program and so I don't think there will be lots of people turning down invites...