Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xbox Skully

School List for USMD

I will be applying to us med schools in two cycles and am looking for an idea about which schools to apply to? Money is not to much of an issue;  so should I just apply to all the schools that take Canadian applicants? My ugpa is 4.0 and my mcat is 517 or 131/126/129/131. I am also recieving my doctor of optometry degree from Waterloo so that should help my app. Basically I am going to go at the angle that I really like optometry but realized I would rather be an opthalmologist due to the expanded scope and surgery. My ecs are pretty good,they did get me into Waterloo optom. Any advice is much appreciated thank!

14 minutes ago, John Galt MD said:

MSAR subscription if you can afford it. Apply to all schools near your GPA and MCAT average along with a few reaches. Good stats. Lizzy M is ~75, can apply mid to high tier. Filter by schools that accept Canadians.

Do you think it would be foolish to rewrite the mcat? I know that us schools do not like it when applicants have multiple mcat scores. My cars score is a little on the low side but I also heard the us is the most forgiving for that section.

6 minutes ago, Xbox Skully said:

Do you think it would be foolish to rewrite the mcat? I know that us schools do not like it when applicants have multiple mcat scores. My cars score is a little on the low side but I also heard the us is the most forgiving for that section.

Lots of USA Med school friends with low CARS scores. Good overall score is a big thing. Your score is still competitive. If your goal is Canada, a rewrite may be worthwhile though. 

41 minutes ago, John Galt MD said:

Lots of USA Med school friends with low CARS scores. Good overall score is a big thing. Your score is still competitive. If your goal is Canada, a rewrite may be worthwhile though. 

My goal is the US because I want to match into ophthalmology and the us has much more optho spots than Canada. I know a few alumni from my program the got into uoft med so that’s probably my best bet for Canada if I don’t end up getting in the states. I was thinking schools that like non traditional applicants like Dartmouth would probably be my best shot in the states. Do you know which schools like non traditional applicants?

no matter what you do, make sure to apply within the first two weeks of application opening. Faster interviews, faster acceptances, especially for Canadian internationals

5 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

Be careful with MSAR stats, those are for Americans, Canadians need better stats as a general rule. 

Their ed stats are lower than their rd stats. Plus there are not that many applicants applying with a doctorate degree and actually diagnosing patients and stuff. I’ve heard Waterloo has a good rep in the states.