Premed 101 Forums

Year off classes for Co-op

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with taking a year off of classes to work? I would like to do an 8 month co-op (and don't take classes in the summers) and am just wondering how 4 semesters without courses would look to an admissions committee? Technically I'm still registered as a full-time student when on co-op, but don't want to raise any red flags. I want to do the co-op as it's a great medically-related research position that I really enjoy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

On 12/1/2019 at 4:58 PM, blue23 said:

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with taking a year off of classes to work? I would like to do an 8 month co-op (and don't take classes in the summers) and am just wondering how 4 semesters without courses would look to an admissions committee? Technically I'm still registered as a full-time student when on co-op, but don't want to raise any red flags. I want to do the co-op as it's a great medically-related research position that I really enjoy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Co-op is a completely normal thing to do in a degree. How could it raise raise a red flag?

The only instance where co-op may "harm" your chances of getting in is if you have to rely on the school's adjusted GPA (i.e. one really bad year) to make you competitive. Co-op would set you back one year in terms of getting the 120 credits required to get that lowest year dropped. (In which case, it might be more advisable to make your gap year after graduation a 'co-op' year of sorts)