Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Internal Medicine Resident Applying to American Subspecialty Match (for Gastroenterology)

ems1234

Hi! I am a Canadian M4 applying for IM and thinking about future career planning. I was wondering if anyone could offer any personal insights or point me towards any good resources online regarding the process of applying to the American IM subspecialty match as I wasn't able to find much information on this (I did read through the recent thread). Specifically:

1. Is the USMLE Step 1,2 CK and CS required? If they are required is a "pass" all is that required to be competitive or can programs see your scores and take these into account for accepting applicants? Is there a centralized resource which lists each program's requirements?

2. Is there an American 'Royal College Exam-equivalent' that applicants would be required to take before applying to their subspecialty match?

3. Are there any other American-specific requirements that may not be obvious to a Canadian applicant? 

4. Would it be possible to come back to practice in Canada after GI/ subspecialty residency or would there be any barriers to this?

Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...

Hello

I am a Canadian medical student and I would like to apply for the US internal residency programs. I have 2 Qs:

1- Are there certain US internal residency programs that are IMG friendly?? because I will be a Canadian graduate. so, I am an IMG for the US programs

2- I would like to ask for the USA internal medicine residency training programs that allow me to write the Canadian Royal College internal medicine exam after I finish residency in USA.

thanks a lot