Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites/Regrets (2019-2020)

TIME STAMP: Monday Dec. 10, 1:33 PM
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets, No Interview 
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular 
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 89% 
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 526 (132, 131, 132, 131) 
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc, Pharmacology and Behavioural Neuroscience (5th year, did Co-Op) 
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, research, etc.): Poster presentation at international research conference, publication in British Journal of Pharmacology,  research mentor/coach for undergraduate students at UBC, vice president of arts/culture club, chair of sustainability committee, founder of campus-wide event aimed towards introducing undergraduates to research/supporting interdisciplinary collaboration, led planning committee for student research conference at UBC, five years as a cast member in performing arts company, misc. volunteer performances at senior homes and rehabilitation centres, junior instructor at non-profit organization aimed towards promoting science and engineering to BC youth, award from president of UBC acknowledging sustained campus involvement and leadership initiative 
Employment: Residence advisor, teaching assistant in dept. of pharmacology and anesthesiology, research assistant, child care instructor, prep session coordinator, hostess, etc 

NAQ Range: 25 - 49.99 percentile 
My Result: I expected my GPA to be slightly below average but was somewhat surprised at my low NAQ. Good luck to all of you smart cookies going in for an interview :))) 

5 minutes ago, abf said:

TIME STAMP: 1:33 PM
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc, Pharmacology and Behavioural Neuroscience (5th year, did Co-Op) 
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, research, etc.): Poster presentation at international research conference, publication in British Journal of Pharmacology,  research mentor/coach for undergraduate students at UBC, vice president of arts/culture club, chair of sustainability committee, founder of campus-wide event aimed towards introducing undergraduates to research/supporting interdisciplinary collaboration, led planning committee for student research conference at UBC, five years as a cast member in performing arts company, misc. volunteer performances at senior homes and rehabilitation centres, junior instructor at non-profit organization aimed towards promoting science and engineering to BC youth, award from president of UBC acknowledging sustained campus involvement and leadership initiative 
Employment: Residence advisor, teaching assistant in dept. of pharmacology and anesthesiology, research assistant, child care instructor, prep session coordinator, hostess, etc 

My Result: I expected my GPA to be slightly below average but was somewhat surprised at my low NAQ. Good luck to all of you smart cookies going in for an interview :))) 

Sorry about your result :( That's an insane mcat score btw. Was this today or yesterday? And is your timezone ET or PST?

25 minutes ago, abf said:

TIME STAMP: Monday Dec. 10, 1:33 PM

less than 50th percentile NAQ score for all those activities? Like what do you need to be over 80th percentile? Cure cancer lol? I'm pretty sure you have more extensive experience than I have and I still ended up in 50th-75th percentile NAQ score (still didn't get an interview though). Weird... Maybe your verifiers didn't reply back for the EC verification emails or something

Just now, Medase said:

less than 50th percentile NAQ score for all those activities? Like what do you need to be over 80th percentile? Cure cancer lol? I'm pretty sure you have more extensive experience than I have and I still ended up in 50th-75th percentile NAQ score (still didn't get an interview though). Weird... Maybe your verifiers didn't reply back for the EC verification emails or something

I heard UBC will contact you if there are verifier problems though

TIME STAMP: 9:06 am PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 82.41% (AGPA)
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 505 (126/126/127/126)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc (grad 2018), currently in final year of 2nd UG
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Hospital volunteering, a few activities with a focus on student wellbeing, diverse jobs, research assistant, directed studies, lots of long-term hobbies, various leadership activities, coaching, etc. Don't want to be specific as some make me easy to recognize. PM me if you want details. 

NAQ Range: 50th - 74.99th percentile, estimating it to be 26 (2016 = 23; 2017 = 23; 2018 = 28)
My Result: TFR = 44. Thought this year was going to be the year. 4th time applicant, felt really strong about this year's application. Rewrote everything and edited it multiple times by many people in various stages of medicine and my NAQ and TFR still ended up dropping. Not quite sure what else to do anymore... 

4 minutes ago, Call_Me_Reject_Man said:

Is this true? I was also wondering this ( I was 0-25th percentile). None of my verifiers reached out to me to let me know they were contacted so not sure what happened. 

19 minutes ago, Medase said:

As far as I'm aware there were no issues with my verifiers, they all said they got the email and clicked agree. They did contact me asking for clarification since I reported a significant amount of hours but I replied back with a detailed breakdown of my daily schedule and offered to provide additional verifiers if they had any concerns. 

"Can you also provide us with more details with regards to your employment history? Between 2018-19, you listed Teaching Assistant, Hostess, Research Assistant, and Prep Session Staff. These overlapping activities add up to significant number of work hours per week. It would be helpful if you could provide us a comprehensive hour breakdown for these entries"

Could be possible that they didn't believe me? Who knows. 

15 minutes ago, abf said:

As far as I'm aware there were no issues with my verifiers, they all said they got the email and clicked agree. They did contact me asking for clarification since I reported a significant amount of hours but I replied back with a detailed breakdown of my daily schedule and offered to provide additional verifiers if they had any concerns. 

"Can you also provide us with more details with regards to your employment history? Between 2018-19, you listed Teaching Assistant, Hostess, Research Assistant, and Prep Session Staff. These overlapping activities add up to significant number of work hours per week. It would be helpful if you could provide us a comprehensive hour breakdown for these entries"

Could be possible that they didn't believe me? Who knows. 

40 minutes ago, Medase said:

The way you write your descriptions make a huge difference. I had a 39 TFR last year and 75th-100th percentile this year but I know my activities are similar to anyone else applying. 

Created an account just for this, congrats to everyone that hasn't gotten regrets yet - hopefully you're safe!

TIME STAMP: 9:07 am PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 85.86% (OGPA)
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 511 (128/127/128/128)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc (final year)
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Hospital volunteering, 5 papers as first-author, 5 papers as co-author, several research presentations, started a club on campus, VP of another 2 clubs. PM me if you want details. 

NAQ Range: 75th - 100th percentile

My Result: TFR = 61. Cut-off for OOP was 63 - two points away hoping to get an invite next year after qualifying for AGPA.

10 minutes ago, kingassault said:

Just gonna sit here till 6 pm pst

Same...

53 minutes ago, kingassault said:

As much as they say the system is objective, at the end of the day each assessor is different and that tends to lead to different scores among applicants. 

Very true. They do mention they statistically transform the scores of reviewers who may be consistently scoring high or low, but if you end up being an oddity (i.e. everyone around you was much weaker, or much stronger, or the reviewer had a transient headache, etc.), that would result in some variation in the scores for sure. Not sure to what depth they do to reconcile differences between the X number of reviewers who review your appication. (Or is it only one reviewer? I have no idea)