Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
OTPsycApp

U of Alberta OT - here to answer questions!

Hey everyone applying,

I found this forum really useful when I was applying to U. of A for OT and thought I'd answer any questions you have (if I can) so ask away. I also interviewed at UBC and Manitoba but ultimately went to Alberta. 

Is is true that if you meet the minimum competitive average of 84% that you automatically get an interview for UBC? 

Very interested in Alberta .wondering how you like it so far?! Is it a 9-4 all day schedule?

UBC Interviews are really just based off of GPA entirely. I've had several department members confirm that they only really look at other aspects of your application during the review phase AFTER the interview.

Alberta is definitely an intense program content wise (but tbh I think they all are) especially the first semester, but totally worth going if you get the chance. The first semester is close to 8-3 or 9-4, but I've also had Friday's off (just depends what lab time you pick). The department suggests you keep 9-5 Monday-Friday free because they do schedule extra learning opportunities etc on Fridays and around class times. The 2nd semester and beyond has less class time so for example T/Th it's only like 9-12 for me. 

Do you know if U of A look at GPA as heavily as UBC? On their website they mention very many times that the program is academically rigorous (as I would expect) and they emphasize a good GPA as such. The admission GPA requirement is 3.0, but they recommend a 3.4 and then they said that last year applicants who were offered admission had a 3.7 GPA. Is this accurate do you think?? 

3 hours ago, initrams said:

Do you know if U of A look at GPA as heavily as UBC? On their website they mention very many times that the program is academically rigorous (as I would expect) and they emphasize a good GPA as such. The admission GPA requirement is 3.0, but they recommend a 3.4 and then they said that last year applicants who were offered admission had a 3.7 GPA. Is this accurate do you think?? 

I believe U of A also emphasizes GPA strongly and it's one of the main factors of how they rank you for offering admission seats. The program is definitely rigorous which I underestimated going in. In my undergrad I had a high GPA (3.90 out of 4.00) and I struggled this semester which I never have academically before so that was new to me.

The first semester alone is 18 or 19 credits, plus a bunch of random extra things that you kind of have to do. So anyone who's only used to taking 12-15 credits at once will definitely notice the increase in work load. 

Wow that makes a lot of sense then. One more question; statistics I looked at showed that 95% of the admissions class is female and only 5% is male. Is this true in your class? Also why is this? Do you think that this would make this easier or harder for a male to get in? 

Yeah that's pretty accurate. I think part of the problem is (generalized blanket statement here sorry) that males are drawn more towards PT when applying since requirements, job outlook, pay, etc are similar. I don't think it's specifically anything to do with the program itself, just perhaps the field in general. 

I'm not 100% sure if there's any quotas, but I highly doubt it has much weight? It definitely wouldn't hurt you in any way.

On 12/21/2019 at 1:19 PM, rehabhopeful said:

Can you tell me a little bit about the letter of intent portion of the application? Did you already have a letter drafted? Is there a time limit to complete that section? Thanks for your help!

Are you referring to the questions you have to answer on GARS? As far as I remember, you are provided the 3 questions that you have to answer with corresponding word limits. I wrote out my full and completely polished answers just separately on a Word document and when I was done I copy and pasted each answer into the corresponding box and submitted. I don't believe there's a time limit but double check. As far as I'm aware, you have until applications close to edit and change answers.