Premed 101 Forums

IMG Chances for Surgical Specialties

Hi there,

I'm wondering what you guys know about the chances for an IMG, who hasn't studied in North America or Europe, to get into surgical residencies (specially Neurosurgery) in Canada. I would also appreciate it if you can let me know about any statistics of how many Neuro/general surgery residents are taken each year, and what percent could be IMGs, if you know. What can such an applicant do to make their case more competitive? Asking for a friend!

Thanks a lot for your info in advance :)

15 minutes ago, Moonlight2 said:

Hi there,

I'm wondering what you guys know about the chances for an IMG, who hasn't studied in North America or Europe, to get into surgical residencies (specially Neurosurgery) in Canada. I would also appreciate it if you can let me know about any statistics of how many Neuro/general surgery residents are taken each year, and what percent could be IMGs, if you know. What can such an applicant do to make their case more competitive? Asking for a friend!

Thanks a lot for your info in advance :)

The numerical info can be somewhat found on CaRMS website. Take a look through all the statistics they publish :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Best way is to do a Masters or PhD with a nsx or gen sx staff and during that time develop connections. Many of the few IMG spots in these specialties each year are filled by people they already know of for several years. These are people who they know will succeed in the program, so that is why they take them. 

There is almost 0 chance they will take someone who doesn't have strong Canadian references from clinical rotations or demonstrable success in Canada already. They take a huge risk taking in any resident, essentially it is a 5-6 year contract, so they will not take anyone they don't confidently know will succeed in the program.