Premed 101 Forums

Specialization in Dentistry

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone could share their insight into the process of getting matched to dental specialties. 

1) What do they look for?

2) Which school best prepares you for it (Canadian vs US)?

3) If you choose to specialize in the States, is it easy to come back to Toronto? 

I’m also interested in this question. This is what I found in research, so not 100% correct.

1) grades, EXTERNSHIPS at hospitals, Reference letters. US wants freshly graduated dents, CANADA wants dents that had a year of additional treating post grad.

2) census is canadian dental school is weaker in clinical work compared to US. I don’t know how this translates to specialty acceptances. Canada grad going to US MUST do externships - preferably in the states. ($$$$). 

3) no idea about this! Hope some ppl answer!

On 12/7/2019 at 10:13 PM, rfvujm1 said:

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone could share their insight into the process of getting matched to dental specialties. 

1) What do they look for?

2) Which school best prepares you for it (Canadian vs US)?

3) If you choose to specialize in the States, is it easy to come back to Toronto? 

Just to answer Q3: As long as you have a valid passport, you should be able to easily come back to Canada and Toronto. 

4 hours ago, Hopefuldent101 said:

Just to answer Q3: As long as you have a valid passport, you should be able to easily come back to Canada and Toronto. 

I agree, I believe American dental schools including specialty programs are well regarded and shouldn't make it difficult to come back. My only concern would be networking. For hospital-based specialties, hospitals may be more likely to hire from their own associated programs because they know the quality of their program and the residents in them. For practice based specialties, faculty members are important resources as potential employers or an important contacts for connecting you with potential employers.