Premed 101 Forums

Burnout in McGill Family Med

Fortress

Hello everyone. I am a McGill medical student interested in Family Medicine. Over the weekend, I spoke with a couple of people who recently graduated from the McGill Family Medicine Residency Program. They both told me that there was a lot of burnout among McGill family medicine residents, and that a significant proportion of residents had to take time off during residency for personal wellness reasons, including both of them. This kind of raised a red flag in my head, as I sort of pictured family medicine to be one of the less intense residencies. I would appreciate it if other McGill residents could provide their input on this matter.

44 minutes ago, Fortress said:

Hello everyone. I am a McGill medical student interested in Family Medicine. Over the weekend, I spoke with a couple of people who recently graduated from the McGill Family Medicine Residency Program. They both told me that there was a lot of burnout among McGill family medicine residents, and that a significant proportion of residents had to take time off during residency for personal wellness reasons, including both of them. This kind of raised a red flag in my head, as I sort of pictured family medicine to be one of the less intense residencies. I would appreciate it if other McGill residents could provide their input on this matter.

Its not necessarily less intense at all, it's just shorter. PGY1 across most programs is more or less the same.