Premed 101 Forums

*** The "What Are My Chances?" and "Should I retake my DAT?" Thread POST HERE FIRST

Message added by cleanup

Given the multitude/litany of "What are my chances" and "Should I retake the DAT?" threads popping up, let's clean things up a bit. Please only post these types of posts in this thread. If you post a new topic your post will either be moved or deleted.

Thanks.

I recently got DAT results back from the Nov 2020 exam and scored a 28 on RC, 25 AA, 21 PAT. I honestly didn't expect to get a decent score because I only studied for 2 weeks. I have a low-ish GPA though, about a 3.84 on OMSAS. I'm not sure I qualify for weighting because I did co-op and had 1 semester where I took 4 courses instead of 5 (also had 1 semester with 6 but had co-op terms between these). I can't really take anymore courses because I've already applied for graduation and don't want to delay that. Is it worth applying to UWO and UofT next cycle? My ECs are mostly biomedical research-related including a pub.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

So I applied to UofT for the first time this year and these are my stats:

GPA: 3.92 (worst year dropped)

DAT: 20AA, 18PAT (November 2020)

Also, I am in province and just graduated from my undergrad in June 2020. I am also currently enrolled in a one year course based masters which will finish in August 2021. Unfortunately, I did not receive an interview this year (most likely due to my DAT scores). I am writing this to get advice on whether I should rewrite my DAT and keep trying or if I am wasting my time and should start looking into other schools, possibly outside of Canada. Also, is it possible that I could be more competitive next year with the same statistics as I will have completed my masters by then? I would appreciate any guidance. Thank you.

Hey, I definitely think you have a chance at UofT next year. I was in a similar situation as you. The first year I applied, I was in my 2nd year of thesis-based masters (didn't graduate at the time), with undergrad GPA below the average of interviewed candidates and 20AA & 20PAT DAT scores. I didn't get an interview at UofT that year.

So I applied again after getting my masters degree, with improved DAT scores (22AA & 22PAT). This was the first year that UofT introduced the essays. I think my masters, extracurricular and improved DAT all helped me get into UofT. So I'd say focus on finishing your masters, try to do better in DAT and give it another try, good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 12:08 PM, kinpredent said:

Hi!

So I applied to UofT for the first time this year and these are my stats:

GPA: 3.92 (worst year dropped)

DAT: 20AA, 18PAT (November 2020)

Also, I am in province and just graduated from my undergrad in June 2020. I am also currently enrolled in a one year course based masters which will finish in August 2021. Unfortunately, I did not receive an interview this year (most likely due to my DAT scores). I am writing this to get advice on whether I should rewrite my DAT and keep trying or if I am wasting my time and should start looking into other schools, possibly outside of Canada. Also, is it possible that I could be more competitive next year with the same statistics as I will have completed my masters by then? I would appreciate any guidance. Thank you.

You can definitely get in. Improving your DAT scores would help you get a better chance. Also with U of T they give a 0.05 GPA bump for those who completed a masters or PhD

55 minutes ago, dragonslayer12 said:

Does that apply to applicants who are currently in the final year of a master's or PhD? 

If you will have completed your masters by the end of the semester then I believe so yes. Best to ask the admissions office regarding that. 

FYI that is why about half of U of T's dental class has completed a masters or PhD.

• 2 weeks later...

hello, I was wondering if I can get into dental school with a gpa of 3.5/4.3 and a gpa of 3.78 excluding my first year (3 year bachelor program in kinesiology) and I was wondering if anyone knows about it. my first year was really bad however I've kept an upward trend on my grades so I was wondering if it possible for me to get into university of Toronto 

thank you very much

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone can give me advice on what other pathways I can do to get into UofT dental school? I have always wanted this career but my undergrad GPA at UofT can only get to 3.7 assuming I get straight As this year (lowest year dropped). I am also only eligible for UofT because I took 4 courses in my winter semester last year and this year. Western requires full credits for the last 2 years.  

Please give me any advice on other pathways I can do. I understand that my GPA is poop but I tried very hard :(

On 2/20/2021 at 1:51 AM, help_sos said:

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone can give me advice on what other pathways I can do to get into UofT dental school? I have always wanted this career but my undergrad GPA at UofT can only get to 3.7 assuming I get straight As this year (lowest year dropped). I am also only eligible for UofT because I took 4 courses in my winter semester last year and this year. Western requires full credits for the last 2 years.  

Please give me any advice on other pathways I can do. I understand that my GPA is poop but I tried very hard :(

•  

Hey!

Have you thought of doing a second undergrad?

On 1/10/2021 at 12:30 PM, doodobro said:

Hey, I definitely think you have a chance at UofT next year. I was in a similar situation as you. The first year I applied, I was in my 2nd year of thesis-based masters (didn't graduate at the time), with undergrad GPA below the average of interviewed candidates and 20AA & 20PAT DAT scores. I didn't get an interview at UofT that year.

So I applied again after getting my masters degree, with improved DAT scores (22AA & 22PAT). This was the first year that UofT introduced the essays. I think my masters, extracurricular and improved DAT all helped me get into UofT. So I'd say focus on finishing your masters, try to do better in DAT and give it another try, good luck!

Hi! Just wondering, how do they calculate GPA after masters? I have a 3.7 GPA (lowest year dropped) and I am considering to maybe apply to masters (but not sure how likely it'll increase my chances) or international school. What do you recommend?

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2020 at 8:53 PM, DMDHope2020 said:

So, I did not get a interview invite this year for UBC (home school and province). I am also planning on taking the DAT this year in Nov. I was wondering do I have a chance at other schools in Canada or the US with my stats.

CDAT: 20AA (23 Chem, 20 Bio, 17RC) 21 PAT Retake?

GPA: Worst year dropped = 86.7%

Degree: Biology degree completed from UBC

EC: I thought my pre-reqs were pretty good, including things like plumbing work, shadowing dentists (120 hours), volunteering for almost 1500+ hours, multiple executive club positions at school, soccer outside of school, working at nike, admin work at UBC and at a soccer club outside of school, and cultural dance. I also thought my reference letters were pretty solid as well. 

You would have a chance at Western but your RC is below their cutoff. I think you can get into american schools depending on your GPA and ECs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm an upcoming 3dr undergrad student wishing to get into dental school and would like some advice on my ECs.

-Vice-president of internal affairs of my university's pre-dental club (1 year)

-Now co-president of my university's pre-dental club

-Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Volunteer

-Pharmacy Technician

-Founder of a non-profit (medical related) (soon)

-Let's talk Science Volunteer

-Student note-taker for disabled students at my uni

-First responder for my university's Emergency Response Team

-University of Texas Southwestern Medical School -Virtual Clinical observation- Emrergency Medicine

-No research experience

Most of these were started during my first and second year in undergrad and I genuinely enjoyed participating in these :)! I also got to meet amazing people there! Do you think I might have a chance with lets say a 3.90 GPA for McGill or UofT? Comparison is the thief of joy but I sometimes compare myself to other people who might have done a lot of research, did posters or got publications.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, thought I'd give this a shot.

I just graduated from my masters program and was hoping to apply to dental school this cycle. I applied last cycle and got an interview at UWO but sadly, am on the waitlist (lower side).

GPA: ~3.9 (best two years undergrad), 3.9 (undergrad+grad school)

DAT: 21AA 20RC 21PAT 24BIO 20CHEM

ECs: research, volunteering for non-profits, typical university club stuff, but minimal shadowing due to covid

Should I retake the DAT? Do I have a chance at UofT or UWO?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how important Total Science is VS Academic Average. My scores are 19 PAT, 19 Chem, 21 Bio, 26 RC. This gives me an AA of 22 but TS is only 20. I didn't get an interview at UBC last year (IP) with a 21AA, 19TS, 17PAT. Debating rewriting end of this month to try to get the DAT done before the UBC deadline. Also wondering what my chances are for rest of Canada/US. UBC % last year was 86.5, this year is going to be 88.5. 2 best year % is 92, U of T GPA is 3.85, American GPA is 3.8. I mainly just don't know if my DAT is enough of an improvement to get me a UBC interview this year.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone. I am only in second year but I would kind of like guidance if I’m on the right track and what I can do to improve my chances. I had a 3.9 (87%) in my first year. I’m taking a humanities degree but I’ve satisfied the bio prereqs for western and I’m doing orgo next summer so it won’t get counted in my GPA when I apply. I’m taking the physiology courses this year. I’ve been doing horseback riding for 5 years and I am continuing  it when I am in the university. Pretty soon I will be on the board of directors for a charity(pending applying for charity status) and am on the exec team as an outreach director for a female mentorship program. Since first year I have been apart of the executive team of a club for congenital heart defects. I am applying in the fall to get my own club ratified so I will be the founder. I’m going to be shadowing a dentist in third year, and I also do tutoring on my spare time. I was wondering if it sounds like I have a good shot, I know it’s early but I would really like to get into western dental!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I took my DAT in June and got the following: RC 19 | Bio 27 | Chem 22 | PAT 20 | AA 23. I have an 85.3% avg (3.9). I would like to apply to UWO (which places an emphasis on RC) and UofT (which emphasizes PAT and AA). Taking this into consideration, do you think a re-write is necessary? I am hesitant to re-take because RC and PAT are hit or miss sections that usually vary from year to year. Your honest feedback is appreciated :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,
I am a Canadian student looking to apply to American dental schools.
My cGPA is 3.64
My sGPA is 3.55
My DAT score:
PAT:19
QR:18
RC:23
BIO:21
GC:20
OC:18
TS:20
AA:20
I still have to get shadowing experience but because of COVID, it has been very difficult to
find.
My ideal option would be to go to buffalo because it's the closest to home and it's much cheaper
than NYU and Boston. Another good option would be something in Ohio or anything close to Toronto.
What are my chances of getting into any schools and what schools do you think I should apply to especially since I am a Canadian?

what are the cheapest Canadian friendly dental school?

thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I really hope someone can give me a feedback! What are my chances?

Schools:  I applied to DMD at Mcgill, UdeM and Laval. I would prefer McGill and Udem, Laval is my last resort. Applicant IP.

I did my UG in Biology at Laval, and have a GPA of 4.0/4.33. According to McGill it's 3.88/4, but am not sure. I am currently doing a master in cell and molecular biology at UdeM (so I have a bonus on my GPA for that uni).

Do you think they will take in consideration my master? I'll finish it in approx. 2 months. Maybe I would have better chances next year once it's finished (and also might have a publication at that point).

CASPER 4th quartile. 

EC's I have done a lot of random things. Research in different fields (neuropsychology, conservation and biodiversity, public health and my master in cell bio). Implication in my school as different VPs (only mentioned the most important position I held). Organization of a local scientific event that was cancelled due to COVID, etc. I believe this will only count for 10% of my application at McGill, but not at the other unis. 

THANK YOU SO SOOOO MUCH :wub:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So I haven’t applied yet and haven’t taken the DAT but I was wondering what u guys thought my chances at western would be. My best 2 years are a 90 and throughout my undergrad experience I have worked 3 jobs - 1 was a manual labour job and the second one I was an office assistant for a department in the school and was promoted to a leadership role. I did 2 years of exec positions in a club, the first year as a general exec and the second year as a VP exec. I have done a sport casually for the first two years of my undergrad(not on a consistent basis as I can not afford to do it more)but included the past 2 years I have done this sport for 8 years. I was also a welcome week rep. I’m planning to do a case study competition next year and hopefully some volunteering this summer but I was just kind of wondering what you guys thought my chances would be assuming I do well on the DAT and maybe more experiences I should try and include.