Premed 101 Forums

Carms as PGY1

robben04

Hi,

I’m a family medicine R1. I’m applying through Carms 2nd iteration to leave my current program and hopefully match in my home province. 

Does anyone know other residents who have been successful moving between programs within the same discipline via carms? Are post-graduate students at an advantage or a disadvantage? How does getting time off for interviews work?

Thanks for any input. 

I’m considering doing the same thing. The rate limiting factor for me is letters as some programs have date restrictions on them. Most of my rotations in residency so far have been off service working with different staff every call shift and I don’t think my fm preceptors would be too thrilled to write a letter so I can leave the program. 

8 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

If you're applying round 2...there won't be very many Family medicine spots, unless your province is Sask/Manitoba maybe.  But strange things happen sometimes, and a program can be too overzealous and end up with lots of open spots for round 2. 

My province is Saskatchewan. But really I won’t be picky 

1 hour ago, holalola said:

I’m considering doing the same thing. The rate limiting factor for me is letters as some programs have date restrictions on them. Most of my rotations in residency so far have been off service working with different staff every call shift and I don’t think my fm preceptors would be too thrilled to write a letter so I can leave the program. 

May I ask why you are thinking of entering carms again? I agree that it’s an awkward place to be in but having letters from your current program would definitely help your application 

12 hours ago, robben04 said:

Hi,

I’m a family medicine R1. I’m applying through Carms 2nd iteration to leave my current program and hopefully match in my home province. 

Does anyone know other residents who have been successful moving between programs within the same discipline via carms? Are post-graduate students at an advantage or a disadvantage? How does getting time off for interviews work?

Thanks for any input. 

I can't help out very much at all! But best of luck to both of you!

7 hours ago, holalola said:

Mostly personal reasons but also the program isn’t a great fit for me. 

I’m in the same place. It’s quite difficult while all of my friends from medical school are enjoying their programs so much. Good luck and if you need someone to commiserate with during the process message me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2019 at 5:20 PM, Foreverest said:

Hi 

Same boat.

I wonder what kind of spots usually open for the second round and if I can use the same application I used last year. Dont have any time to fill everything out again.

You need to compete a new application, and i would 100% write new CVs, personal statements and get new references that discuss why you're leaving your current program.