Premed 101 Forums

Failed First Year Bio

Hi! I'm a first year and I failed first year bio, however all of my other marks are in the 80s range. I had a bit of a weird first semester because in high school I only took science and math courses, and in my university program my courses require a lot of writing. I had trouble managing my time because I was spending all of it working on my assignments, and I didn't regularly study for this biology course. I have aspirations to attend medical school at UofT (or any medical school actually) but I'm wondering how this failed course will affect me when applying. Since this is first year biology, it is a prerequisite for other biology courses, and I do plan on retaking it. Does anyone know how UofT and Waterloo treats repeated and failed courses? What would be the best course of action for me to take in order to mitigate the effects of this failed mark on my GPA, or chances of attending medical school? 

Should I reconsider my career choices...?

Any response would be helpful, thank you!

It is early and you have a lot of runway left to build a great GPA.   If you do full course load in all 4 years,  U of T will let you drop 3 or 4 full credits which would let you remove that bad mark from your application GPA.  Other schools have different weighted wGPA approaches which only look at best 2 or last 2 years as example.  Only thing I would be careful about is retaking that course and keeping official full course load.  Could you make up for that course next summer (outside normal school term) instead ?   

• 2 weeks later...

I know that UofT only calculates GPA from courses taken on a full time basis. This means that they don't care about summer courses. If that course is a prereq for other stuff, take it on the summer so you're not set behind.  Keep in mind that schools like McMaster take gpa from all courses taken full time or not.