Premed 101 Forums

Internal Medicine electives information

Hello everyone, 

As I approach fourth year, I"m hoping to look into organizing my electives in IM for the final year. Are there certain schools + rotations that were well received? Where is CTU a good choice? Furthermore, what subspecialties provide a good experience? I know for selective students in sub-speciality IM, it's a hit or miss because you don't know the structure of your two weeks beforehand or how much facetime you would get with an attending. I just want to know which experiences have been worthwhile, i..e ID at Western, Cardio at Ottawa etc.? 

Also if I am to consider parallel planning with Family Medicine, do senior students/residents have input on how to organize that pre-carms. I know a lot of CTU electives require 3 wks, so that takes out a chunk of the 12 wks precarms time you would have ( I think that is how much is at my school?) to try to split that b/w family and IM. 

This depends on where you want to end up and the ratio for how you want internal vs family. If you are dead set on big city competitive program then you are better off gunning for one specialty and avoid splitting as much as possible, but if you are going for a less competitive location you may in fact be better off with a more even split which will keep your feet in both internal and family.