Premed 101 Forums
Sun444

University Of Alberta 2020 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2024

Prereq: all A's so far except for English 6* (only need to finish Microbiology in winter 2020). In the email, Anjela said that some of the prereq courses are simple a check for completion so I did not bother calculating the GPA.

2 years most recent:  to be determined, most likely to be 3.49 (2.8 gpa from the last year's 21* credits of my previous Bcom Degree in 2015, but they say it will be counted towards my most recent 60* GPA so whatever).

Best 30 credits: 3.97 (If I can score 4.0 again in winter 2020 then it will be 4.0)

Work experience: Worked in hospital,long term care and public health for total of 3 years.

Just wondering for extracurricular activities, do you guys write it as a list or an essay like form?

Prereqs: all A/A+ except for english and micro.

2 year GPA: TBD but looking like it will probably be around 3.88.

Best 30 credits: TBD but hopefully 3.91 or higher.

ECs and work experience: working as a pharmacy assistant in a Community pharmacy after having volunteered there for 6 months. 1.5 years volunteering at hospital as patient visitor. Had a month long shadowing experience in Europe. Will be doing research this summer as well.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:19 PM, nigelllll said:

Prereq: all A's so far except for English 6* (only need to finish Microbiology in winter 2020). In the email, Anjela said that some of the prereq courses are simple a check for completion so I did not bother calculating the GPA.

2 years most recent:  to be determined, most likely to be 3.49 (2.8 gpa from the last year's 21* credits of my previous Bcom Degree in 2015, but they say it will be counted towards my most recent 60* GPA so whatever).

Best 30 credits: 3.97 (If I can score 4.0 again in winter 2020 then it will be 4.0)

Work experience: Worked in hospital,long term care and public health for total of 3 years.

Just wondering for extracurricular activities, do you guys write it as a list or an essay like form?

I wrote my ECs as an essay so that I could talk about them a bit more in depth but I’m not sure if that’s the right thing to do lol.

Can anyone clarify somewhat how the admissions is working? I know for UBC's PharmD it is a bit like different "stages"... ie: you pass the academic-based stage, NOW you are all on the same playing field again, and next those who passed the academic part now need to pass the interviews, etc. 

The impression I'm getting from UAlberta's PharmD admission site is that grades/interview/etc are WEIGHTED (ie: each contribute a certain amount to your "score"); ie: there are NOT "stages"?

https://www.ualberta.ca/pharmacy/programs/pharmd-doctor-of-pharmacy/prospective-students/admission-requirements

The website's a little vague on the admission selection exact selection criteria, unless I'm missing something. 

Does this make sense?

PS: also want to confirm we AREN'T sending our interim transcripts, right? Only final?

On 1/1/2020 at 10:19 PM, nigelllll said:

I think that the admissions committee might like it if you used point form since they have to read so many (lol). But you should write it in paragraphs because I think you want to use that section to show the committee that you are an interesting person with hobbies and don't just live in the library. And it doesn't really matter what you put there in terms of what you like, imo. It's more about that you a passionate about something (eg. I like swimming and water stuff and can hold my breathe underwater for 10 minutes and do a triple front flip dive).

On 1/5/2020 at 3:26 PM, Sharron said:

Can anyone clarify somewhat how the admissions is working? I know for UBC's PharmD it is a bit like different "stages"... ie: you pass the academic-based stage, NOW you are all on the same playing field again, and next those who passed the academic part now need to pass the interviews, etc. 

The impression I'm getting from UAlberta's PharmD admission site is that grades/interview/etc are WEIGHTED (ie: each contribute a certain amount to your "score"); ie: there are NOT "stages"?

https://www.ualberta.ca/pharmacy/programs/pharmd-doctor-of-pharmacy/prospective-students/admission-requirements

The website's a little vague on the admission selection exact selection criteria, unless I'm missing something. 

Does this make sense?

PS: also want to confirm we AREN'T sending our interim transcripts, right? Only final?

You send in the admissions package. Then, later in the year, you'll send in your final transcripts or they'll get them automatically depending on your situation (in province v. out-of-province). They then send you an interview invite. Do the interview. Wait for whichever version of the letter you're going to get.

18 hours ago, Ualbertapharm said:

You send in the admissions package. Then, later in the year, you'll send in your final transcripts or they'll get them automatically depending on your situation (in province v. out-of-province). They then send you an interview invite. Do the interview. Wait for whichever version of the letter you're going to get.

Thank you for the response! But I still don't understand if it is STAGE-based or WEIGHTED... 

For example (bear with very INACCURATE numbers): at UBC PharmD, let's say 1000 people apply, of those let's say 400 are chosen for interview ONLY based on academics. Now those 400 would be competing for 200 spots through ONLY the interview. (again, ignore the numbers, these aren't accurate!). ... ie: STAGES

But other universities WEIGHT them... ie: you send in your grades, do the interview some time later, do an essay, etc. and these are WEIGHTED ie: 1/3 interview 1/3 grades 1/3 essay (crude example). 

Is UAlberta PharmD closer to the 1st or 2nd method? 

5 hours ago, Sharron said:

Thank you for the response! But I still don't understand if it is STAGE-based or WEIGHTED... 

For example (bear with very INACCURATE numbers): at UBC PharmD, let's say 1000 people apply, of those let's say 400 are chosen for interview ONLY based on academics. Now those 400 would be competing for 200 spots through ONLY the interview. (again, ignore the numbers, these aren't accurate!). ... ie: STAGES

But other universities WEIGHT them... ie: you send in your grades, do the interview some time later, do an essay, etc. and these are WEIGHTED ie: 1/3 interview 1/3 grades 1/3 essay (crude example). 

Is UAlberta PharmD closer to the 1st or 2nd method? 

I believe it’s closer to the 2nd method although no one knows how they actually weigh the different components.

Good info guys! lets keep it going!

My stats:

cum gpa: 3.62

27 credit year gpa (couldn't do 30 units): 3.75

Pre-req gpa: approx 3.5 (finishing up physiology and and biochem winter 2020)

Have been working as a health care aide (psych) for 6 years. Trying to get in some pharmacy shadow hours this semester.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:47 PM, PharmD20 said:

I believe it’s closer to the 2nd method although no one knows how they actually weigh the different components.

This is my thoughts as well. Ive never heard of anyone not getting an interview before, just that they get rejected.

Also as an aside, I'm not affiliated with the Faculty. Just an applicant. I'm putting that in early because my some might get confused by my name.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:38 PM, haha said:

Does anyone know where to find letter of intent form for 2020? I could only find form for 2019

you should go ahead and apply through either apply alberta or the launchpad. You should find the form there, you do not need to email the form to anyone for this cycle.

These are my stats so far as an IP applicant:

Last 60 credits GPA: TBD but it will most likely be 3.75-3.8

Pre-req: 3.5

Best 30 credits (so far): 3.7

Volunteer History: youth soccer coach for two years, Canadian Mental Health Association, U School

Employment History: health care aide in long-term care, summer reading programmer in a library, sales clerk in a community pharmacy 

I'm also graduating with my BSc this June! :)