Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2020 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2024

Sun444

so it is confirmed https://www.ualberta.ca/governance/media-library/2020-03-19-exec-special-meeting-materials.pdf

This kinda sucks coz the only year that I am taking 10 courses is this 2019Fall to 2020Winter and I have not finished my prereq yet....

I bet a lot of you would be emailing the faculty see how the GPA would be determined if there is no GPA availble for winter 2020.

I guess I will just wait here for someone to share the respond received from Anjela. Thanks in advance!

They are supposedly making an official announcement this morning so I’m kinda nervously waiting on that. This is such a motivation killer on our already low morale.

Theres been so much discussion online about the different perspectives on this topic so I wouldn’t add to that but I just think there has to be a better, more nuanced alternative so that we can cushion those affected by the pandemic whilst not punishing people like us who’ve been working our butts off.

Idk what will happen. I have signed the petition so hopefully they will be open to reconsidering their decision.

I know its hard with the uncertainty, but just be patient guys. The faculty has a lot on their plate so I'm not sure when they'll get around to addressing enrollment for next year. Just to give you an idea of what they're dealing with, here are some concerns. The 4th years are currently on rotations, however board exams and licencing are postponed. 2nd years are still scheduled to go on rotation in May, depending on how the situation continues to change, that may not be an option (which can affect PharmD accreditation). The 3rd years have their PharmD bridging program in the summer, which requires in person clinical hours, how this will be implemented now is unclear. 

Do not stress and just give it time. I am sure that they'll figure it out. Best of luck! 

With the new change in the UofA policy for admissions, they say that winter courses won’t count towards GPA. Does anyone know if that means that we won’t need to submit those template letters with our potential grade to the faculty anymore? Just trying to see how much effort I should put in for the next 2 weeks haha

According to the UofA website you count as a resident of Alberta if you live in the province for at least a year before the first day of classes. I’m not sure if that answered your question but I hope it helped!

11 hours ago, Pharm240 said:

Does anyone know if an “in province” applicant is someone who is a resident of Alberta, or someone who went to post-secondary in Alberta? The website is not super clear

1 hour ago, PharmD20 said:

With the new change in the UofA policy for admissions, they say that winter courses won’t count towards GPA. Does anyone know if that means that we won’t need to submit those template letters with our potential grade to the faculty anymore? Just trying to see how much effort I should put in for the next 2 weeks haha

someone here said template letters are required. Not sure whether it is true or not.

They also I think the final decision with regards to template letters and whether winter 2020 grades count or not lies in in the hands of the specific faculties. So really we kinda need to know how pharmacy is adapting to all this. I know Angela said we can send her letters and she’ll include it in the application so I mean it has to count for something right?

1 hour ago, Sun444 said:

They also I think the final decision with regards to template letters and whether winter 2020 grades count or not lies in in the hands of the specific faculties. So really we kinda need to know how pharmacy is adapting to all this. I know Angela said we can send her letters and she’ll include it in the application so I mean it has to count for something right?

I’ll email her tomorrow just to confirm all the details

Ok well I heard back from Anjela and what she said was that winter 2020 courses were not going to be included in OGPA calculations and that they will accept the template letters to show your ranking in the class but they’re definitely not a requirement. She also said they will likely change the ranking score bc of CR/NCR this semester since they have at least a year and half of grades to still look at plus LOI and interview. So it’s really up to each individual whether they want to include the letters or not If they think their application needs the boost

5 minutes ago, PharmD20 said:

Ok well I heard back from Anjela and what she said was that winter 2020 courses were not going to be included in OGPA calculations and that they will accept the template letters to show your ranking in the class but they’re definitely not a requirement. She also said they will likely change the ranking score bc of CR/NCR this semester since they have at least a year and half of grades to still look at plus LOI and interview. So it’s really up to each individual whether they want to include the letters or not If they think their application needs the boost

Damn, thx so much!

7 minutes ago, PharmD20 said:

Ohh ok so if we do upload letters, they do count for something. Which means we have to do well in this terms courses regardless. Lord.

Hello! this is a question for the current first years: Do you guys still have your practicum happening despite the whole COVID situation? or how is your faculty handling this? UBC is still making us go but I wanted to hear if that was the case else where as well! I dont have any UofA friends so i didnt know where else to post this haha!