Premed 101 Forums

Im doing biomedical sciences at York and I didn't do great during my first two years. Got a GPA of 2.7 in first year. Second year, first semester, I wasn't able to focus, sad all the time for no reason, i was lost and I withdrew from organic chemistry (also withdrew a course in first year), I'm doing bad in calculus (planning on dropping the course prior to the deadline and still attending classes so i can do better next time), I dropped two other courses; one by early september and the other by November. I plan on changing my second semester of 2nd year, i even looked at how to study effectively and i intend on working hard and doing well. Also, I have done extracurriculars, did coop in high school at a dental office, volunteered at my own school for events, at the recreation centre and at a senior's home for a few years and still am from time to time. (Does my volunteer experience need to include more clinical/hospital?) Overall, I would like to attend medical school (can be international as well) and I'm wondering if its still possible or should i do a master's degree in my program (offered at Guelph) which is only one year and apply? 

49 minutes ago, Sara N said:

Im doing biomedical sciences at York and I didn't do great during my first two years. Got a GPA of 2.7 in first year. Second year, first semester, I wasn't able to focus, sad all the time for no reason, i was lost and I withdrew from organic chemistry (also withdrew a course in first year), I'm doing bad in calculus (planning on dropping the course prior to the deadline and still attending classes so i can do better next time), I dropped two other courses; one by early september and the other by November. I plan on changing my second semester of 2nd year, i even looked at how to study effectively and i intend on working hard and doing well. Also, I have done extracurriculars, did coop in high school at a dental office, volunteered at my own school for events, at the recreation centre and at a senior's home for a few years and still am from time to time. (Does my volunteer experience need to include more clinical/hospital?) Overall, I would like to attend medical school (can be international as well) and I'm wondering if its still possible or should i do a master's degree in my program (offered at Guelph) which is only one year and apply? 

Would seem hard as you did less than a full course load? Also your marks in year 2/3/4 aren’t clear. 

Master's might not really help you in applying to med school since most schools don't even consider postgrad GPA at all and only a handful e.g. Dalhousie, potentially UofT, McGill, maybe Alberta (not sure about this one since I'm not applying) actually gives you any perceivable advantage for having a Masters. If you think your GPA is holding you back, doing a second undergrad might be a more prudent choice. Your volunteer roles don't strictly have to be clinical as long as you can demonstrate genuine interests and growths in the roles you have now. You can always diversify (while keeping in mind commitments and longevity of a role might be a factor too) if you wish - but do it because you WANT to, not because you feel like you need to tick off a box. However, some schools e.g. Western, Ottawa, Queen's all have some sort of weighted/best/most recent 2 years that might disregard your years 1 and 2 grades completely/partially to your advantage. So if a 2nd undergraduate degree sounds like a lot of work for you and you're still in the middle of your 2nd year, you still have a good chance at redemption and improve your chances vadtly through GPA as well as your MCAT. 

Sara, your 1st year and now 2nd year are write-offs from a med-school application point of view.  Read through premed101. You will learn that undergrad GPA is key.   You need that along with a high MCAT,  EC's, (and Casper) to get an interview. Then you need to interview well.

My suggestion would be to continue in your program.  Do full course-load and do not drop courses along the way.  Do not repeat courses.  Do most courses at the proper level (ie 300's in 3rd year).   You need to consistently achieve a +3.85 GPA (really +3.9) in each year.   That means 85's & 90's with no course below 80%.   If you can do that for 3rd & 4th year it will start to open up some schools like Queens, Western that only look at best/last 2 years.

Too early to think about Masters. It won't help make up for a low undergrad GPA for med school applications any ways.   

Start this term with figuring out how to achieve the 3.9 GPA.  Use your schools support resources.  Use your TA's.  Do the work. Wait til you can get the GPA before thinking about the MCAT

Some med students had rough first years in undergrad.  It is still possible to do this.  

2 hours ago, Meridian said:

Sara, your 1st year and now 2nd year are write-offs from a med-school application point of view.  Read through premed101. You will learn that undergrad GPA is key.   You need that along with a high MCAT,  EC's, (and Casper) to get an interview. Then you need to interview well.

My suggestion would be to continue in your program.  Do full course-load and do not drop courses along the way.  Do not repeat courses.  Do most courses at the proper level (ie 300's in 3rd year).   You need to consistently achieve a +3.85 GPA (really +3.9) in each year.   That means 85's & 90's with no course below 80%.   If you can do that for 3rd & 4th year it will start to open up some schools like Queens, Western that only look at best/last 2 years.

Too early to think about Masters. It won't help make up for a low undergrad GPA for med school applications any ways.   

Start this term with figuring out how to achieve the 3.9 GPA.  Use your schools support resources.  Use your TA's.  Do the work. Wait til you can get the GPA before thinking about the MCAT

Some med students had rough first years in undergrad.  It is still possible to do this.  

As Rocco would say - difficult but not impossible