Premed 101 Forums

Interview Prep Tips

Hey everyone, 

Congratulations on getting an interview in UBC. It’s truly an achievement getting this far since we all know UBC looks at pretty much everything: ECs, MCAT and GPA. The interview is the last stage before hopefully getting that golden acceptance. I interviewed at UBC, UofT and UOttawa in 2018, getting first round acceptances into all three. I just wanted to share a few tips, give back to this premed community that supported me all these years! 

Here are FOUR of my tips to how to handle MMIs (my favourite kind of interview): 

1. Stay calm throughout the process: Panic and stress can manifest itself as a rushed and unstructured response, setting a VERY POOR first impression as you walk in. SO CALM YOURSELF DOWN. Deep breath before you read the prompt, deep breath after you read the prompt, deep breath before you enter the room, A SILENT deep breath before you start to speak. 
  2. Structure your response: This is where practice can help the most. By getting exposure to the kinds of MMI questions asked, your mind can slowly get used to quickly structuring ideas into pros/cons, side one, side two, final conclusion etc… So, please practice. Getting an interview is not easy, YOU MADE IT by re-reading your application and editing it as much as possible. Getting an acceptance is NOT easy as well, and it does require HARD WORK.
  3. Tell them a personal story: Saying pros and cons, letting them know about your thought process is cool - but it won’t make your response memorable. Ten other candidates before you did JUST THAT as well. You have to stand out and tell them something NO ONE ELSE will tell them (ABOUT YOUR LIFE, ABOUT YOURSELF). I highlighted various personal experiences throughout my interview (not more than one or two / station, otherwise it can be overwhelmingly about you). REFLECT = What makes you YOU? 
  4. Be yourself: this is where OVER-practicing can hurt. If you become monotonous in your responses because you are trying to remember that one sentence you said during that one practice run, it will show and it will take away from your personality at the interview. DO NOT MEMORIZE responses or try to replicate them. Go with the flow and don't forget to show them who YOU are. 

UBC has a writing station as well. From my experience, it’s JUST like the MMI station. Write as you would speak (PROS, CONS, PERSONAL EXAMPLE, CONCLUSION - YOUR STANCE), but make your writing is more professional and structured, grammatically correct etc… 

I tried for medical school three times in a row, gave four MCATs to bring up my CARS score and did everything possible to prepare for interviews. It’s been a long journey, but definitely one that’s been so worth it ever since that 2018 acceptance. I don’t know if I will be checking Premed forum too much, but feel free to email me here if you have any questions or need any advice (based on my experience): med.interview.prep.2020@gmail.com

Also, I may help students prep for UBC interview - but due to limited time, I will be helping no more than 10 students. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, you CAN do this! 

Hello folks,

I've had quite a few people message me about the remarks I made about my UBC acceptance from last year. I figured I'll post the gist of what I said to them here just for the sake of fairness. 

I would like to stress that what I'm writing is my opinion which is completely biased by my upbringing and experience. My advice will most likely not apply to all yall folks. 

I've applied and interviewed for quite a few years/schools. In fact, each year I was lucky enough to get 4+ interviews. All 15+ interviews always resulted in below avergage/bottom percentile. I decided to get an MMI coach. I tried 6 different companies. Mind you, these services were EXTREMELY expensive, especially from the trial and error finding the company that suited me best. My logic was that every year I fail to get in I'm losing ~ $250,000-$850,000 in salary  (depending on residency field) so spending a few thousand dollars would be a net gain so for me this was worth it. Mind you, I'm from a...I guess a more culturally homogenous area so I feel this shaped my delivery/mindset that wasnt as palatable for the city folks which was why hiring a company worked/benefited me. Again, I want to stress that hiring these prep companies wouldn't benefit every applicant. I've known some ppl who winged it and got in on their first try / classmates who merely practiced with her mom like 3 times and got in 1st try. 

Much love and best of luck to all yall endeavors