Premed 101 Forums

7 hours ago, Anon1 said:

Does anyone have any insight what to expect as an OOP applicant at the MMI? What are the key BC health issues that I need to be absolutely aware of? Some schools theme their MMIs to reflect their school's mission. Does UBC also do something like this?

Thanks!

You never know what the MMI will throw at you, and I can’t comment on what UBC specifically themes the MMI around. But start with the sorts of common sense things you’ll be expected to learn a lot more about once you are training/working here. Just a few ideas off the top of my head (in no way exhaustive):

- A lot of the same types of issues across Canada are relevant in BC - maid, opioid crisis, rural health, social determinants of health, pharmacare/dental care, access to very expensive medications for diseases that very few people have, etc, etc.

- Indigenous health issues both current and how it relates to the history of indigenous peoples and colonization, residential schools, etc. Again, important across Canada, but BC has taken some unique steps, e.g., there is a dedicated First Nations health authority.

- Harm reduction. For example, you might want to learn about Insite, the first supervised injection site in North America, or the many other harm reduction initiatives taking place in the DTES of Vancouver, and all across BC.

- Private vs. Public -pay health care, I.e. a “two tier system”, has been in the news a lot due to to the court challenge by Dr. Brian Day of the cambie Surgery clinic, seeking the ability for doctors to bill both privately and MSP.

- Since November BC pharmacare has switched to covering only cheaper biosimilars for several very popular biological drugs, a move the Alberta government is now following and which is causing a lot of push back.

20 hours ago, Anon1 said:

Does anyone have any insight what to expect as an OOP applicant at the MMI? What are the key BC health issues that I need to be absolutely aware of? Some schools theme their MMIs to reflect their school's mission. Does UBC also do something like this?

Thanks!

In the same boat as you. While doing some research I came across this webpage which seems very informative https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics