Premed 101 Forums

What kind of jobs are good for Medical Students?

Hello! I am currently a second year medical student and am looking for a summer job. I was wondering which jobs are more suitable/appropriate for med students, if any? Looking for something that partially applies/is related to our degree, so not working at a restaurant or in retail etc. The only thing I can think of is perhaps working at a pharmacy but does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for your help:) 

Something that would be applicable to your future career goals would be ideal (for example, community health, clinical research, etc). As a medical student, more opportunities should be available to you than to the typical undergrad. I don't think many students work retail or hospitality after they get into medical school.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:42 PM, cc334 said:

Hello! I am currently a second year medical student and am looking for a summer job. I was wondering which jobs are more suitable/appropriate for med students, if any? Looking for something that partially applies/is related to our degree, so not working at a restaurant or in retail etc. The only thing I can think of is perhaps working at a pharmacy but does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for your help:) 

Look for a research job . No one works in a pharmacy as a med student. 

41 minutes ago, Tullius said:

Some med students were pharmacists before starting med school so they continue to work at a pharmacy. I think it pays way better than any research job they're likely to get as a student.

Yes on the off chance he’s in the minority that was a pharmacist you would be correct. 

want to bet he’s not? Stop trolling he didn’t mention anywhere he was a pharmacist. 

In my opinion the best job is a paid research job in a specialty you are applying for if you are applying for a specialty outside of family med. If you are pretty confident you want family medicine, research is less important, so a paid research job is still a great option, but there are alternatives as well depending on your background. I'm thinking industry, internships etc. Generally speaking though, its hard to make much money as a med student because you don't really bring anything to the table for most summer positions unless you have a previous background in a field. 

On 1/5/2020 at 11:05 PM, Raptors905 said:

Yes on the off chance he’s in the minority that was a pharmacist you would be correct. 

want to bet he’s not? Stop trolling he didn’t mention anywhere he was a pharmacist. 

"DAMN IT! How did I forget I was a pharmacist?! Again! Case closed guys, ignore my question."