Premed 101 Forums

Chances of getting in, low first year GPA

Hello! 

I'm currently in 3rd year bio sci, and my GPA is really weighing down on my because of how low it was, and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight. 

First year - 2.81 

second year - 3.51 (first sem - 3.02, second - 4.00) 

third year- 4.00 so far, and I don't foresee my marks going down anymore

I had a lot of trouble concentrating on my work and putting in the effort I needed for good grades, but now I've finally been able to focus. My only issue is that I feel its too late and I keep falling into a pit of despair whenever I think about it. I'm planning to do my MCAT this summer and I'm not sure I can comment on the quality of ECs (I volunteer fairly regularly, currently executive of a club, did some volunteer and paid summer camp every summer and I have a research student opportunity lined up for this summer), but I was wondering if I still had hope? My GPA was really low and I was considering retaking a course I got a C- (I know :( ) in during second year, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it because I'm not sure if they consider it. I'm IP and this is probably the only Canadian university I have chances with. Sorry if I posted this incorrectly as I'm not used to posting on forums. Thanks in advance for any responses! 

The gpa drops the lowest year so your first year would not count in the calculation of the gpa. It would affect the category overall academic assessment. 60% of the U of C application depends on the top 10 and references. As far as I have heard, they can make or break your application. As far as retaking the course is concerned, you should email the admissions office and see how they take that into account. Other than that read the manual and see how U of C calculates your score. Your gpa makes 20% of your score and academic assessment another 10. MCAT CARS makes another 10 and the rest is all other attributes.