Premed 101 Forums

Late decision to pursue anesthesia?

Hi everyone, I'm partway through clerkship and recently have changed my mind about specialties of interest and I think I might be in anesthesia. However it's a late decision and I need some guidance. Has anyone else had this experience, or might be able to help me sort this out? If so, please PM me. 

Also, since I'm not 100% sure I want to pursue anesthesia, I was also wondering about how switching residency programs works. If I start in another residency program and then decide I would rather do anesthesia, is it likely that I'll be able to switch? I've heard it's easier to switch at some schools than others but that's probably just a rumour. 

Thanks!

On 1/9/2020 at 12:40 PM, confusedmedstudent said:

Hi everyone, I'm partway through clerkship and recently have changed my mind about specialties of interest and I think I might be in anesthesia. However it's a late decision and I need some guidance. Has anyone else had this experience, or might be able to help me sort this out? If so, please PM me. 

Also, since I'm not 100% sure I want to pursue anesthesia, I was also wondering about how switching residency programs works. If I start in another residency program and then decide I would rather do anesthesia, is it likely that I'll be able to switch? I've heard it's easier to switch at some schools than others but that's probably just a rumour. 

Thanks!

It’s never too late!

a good friend of mine applied to anesthesi after changing his mind halfway through. He matched at UofT. 

I would suggest an elective to huge interest  backup with something that has 5 years of funding (psych is a classic one) so you can transfer with your funding easier 

11 minutes ago, billy55555 said:

what does "transfer with your funding easier " mean?

Residents have funding they get form whatever program they match to. (Government funding)

anesthesia needs 5 Years. If you transfer from a 5 yr program rhe school doesn’t need to find extra funding so it’s easier for them. If you don’t have the funding they need to find the extra money. Just makes it harder. But not impossible