Premed 101 Forums

Any Advice Please? Non Trads?

I am in my second year as a Business Administration student and am a bit confused as to whether i should stick to my BBA program or transfer my credits to a science degree just to increase my chances of getting into Med School. With that being said, are there any specific prerequisites or it depends on the university you are planning to apply to? Any non tradition grads who got into Med school? Just looking for some motivation.

The undergrad program does not really matter that much.  What matters is you should do a full course load in all 4 years and you a need a high GPA.    Most applicants will come from the sciences. It makes some sense as you do need to write the MCAT for most schools which has basic science content.  You can self study for the MCAT science content though.

Whether you are in 2nd or 3rd year, I would not transfer to science thinking it would increase med school chances.  As long as you have a +3.85 GPA currently, I would complete your degree.    Start studying for MCAT in parallel. Do some sample tests to benchmark where you are and plan to write in summer 2020.

2 hours ago, Nsekanabo said:

I am in my second year as a Business Administration student and am a bit confused as to whether i should stick to my BBA program or transfer my credits to a science degree just to increase my chances of getting into Med School. With that being said, are there any specific prerequisites or it depends on the university you are planning to apply to? Any non tradition grads who got into Med school? Just looking for some motivation.

I would stick with the BBA! Your undergrad program doesn't really matter as long as you have prerequisites where applicable and are able to write the MCAT (which like Meridian said you can self study for/take a prep course) and also a full course load. You can also audit science classes to help you grasp the material. Now if you want to go to school in the USA, it's a bit of a different story cause all of those schools require a lot of pre reqs, but not in Canada. It's good to have a back up plan too in case med doesn't workout, and a BBA is pretty solid. You'll be able to find a job easier than say a BSc in Biology most likely. Good luck!

On 1/9/2020 at 8:34 PM, VigoVirgo said:

I would stick with the BBA! Your undergrad program doesn't really matter as long as you have prerequisites where applicable and are able to write the MCAT (which like Meridian said you can self study for/take a prep course) and also a full course load. You can also audit science classes to help you grasp the material. Now if you want to go to school in the USA, it's a bit of a different story cause all of those schools require a lot of pre reqs, but not in Canada. It's good to have a back up plan too in case med doesn't workout, and a BBA is pretty solid. You'll be able to find a job easier than say a BSc in Biology most likely. Good luck!

Thank you very much. I really appreciate.

On 1/9/2020 at 6:35 PM, Meridian said:

The undergrad program does not really matter that much.  What matters is you should do a full course load in all 4 years and you a need a high GPA.    Most applicants will come from the sciences. It makes some sense as you do need to write the MCAT for most schools which has basic science content.  You can self study for the MCAT science content though.

Whether you are in 2nd or 3rd year, I would not transfer to science thinking it would increase med school chances.  As long as you have a +3.85 GPA currently, I would complete your degree.    Start studying for MCAT in parallel. Do some sample tests to benchmark where you are and plan to write in summer 2020.

Thank you, God Bless You.