UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2020

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TIME STAMP:  March 6th, 1:25 pm

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): MD

Result: Interview, March 28th

cGPA/wGPA:  3.90/3.95

MCAT: met cut-offs

ECs: hospital volunteering 2 years, TA 1 semester, research and lab manager 2 years, church volunteering 5 years, major accident in 2nd year undergrad that impacted my ability to commit to EC's

Essays: Spent a week or so on them. I was very honest and open on those, tried to provide a different perspective. 

Year: 4th yr UG

Geography: OOP, BC

I can't believe it, I'm still in shock. I've gotten rejects from all other schools this cycle, so I'm really thankful for this opportunity.

TIME STAMP: March 6th @  1:21pm

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): MD March 29th

Result: Invite!!!

cGPA/wGPA:  cGPA 3.98 (don't qualify for wGPA)

MCAT: Above cut offs

ECs: lots of undergrad research + different unique things (PM for more details)

Essays: started thinking of them 2 month in advance + had manyyyy people review/give feedback

Year: 3rd year undergrad (last year)

Geography: OOP

TIME STAMP: March 6  1:21pm EST

Result: Interview, March 29th

cGPA/wGPA:  3.89/3.93

MCAT: 128/129/129/130 (516)

ECs: Long term and diverse, very involved in a variety of academic and non-academic activities

Essays: wrote them the night before but they were very genuine

Year: 4th year UG

Geography: IP

Feeling so blessed.. never thought U of T was a possibility with a ‘lower’ GPA. Congrats to all☺️

TIME STAMP: March 6  1:21pm EST

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): MD

cGPA/wGPA:  --/3.96

MCAT: 129/128/128/131

ECs: Nothing super unique or with a wow factor. I do have a bit of everything though.

Essays: Spent about a month on them

Year: Gap year 

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

TIME STAMP: March 10th 2:13pm 

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): MD, March 29 

Result: Invite

cGPA/wGPA:  3.95/3.97

MCAT: 131/129/132/130

ECs: Some clubs, volunteering, and research (no pubs). Nothing exceptional. PM if you want more details!

Essays: Spent around two months on them, tried really hard. 

Year: 4th year undergrad 

Good luck to everyone who's still waiting - I know how brutal the wait is. After the wave last week I had basically given up hope so I'm super pleasantly surprised. 

STILL CAN'T BELIEVE I'M FILLING ONE OF THOSE. DOING THIS BECAUSE I USED FOLLOW THESE SINCE HIGH SCHOOL!

TIME STAMP: March 10th 2:13pm 

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): MD, March 28

Result: Invite

cGPA/wGPA:  3.85/3.97

MCAT: 127/124/128/126

ECs: Lots of clubs (leadership positions as well), health care volunteering, health advocacy and community involvement. Barely any research experience

Essays: Spent around a few weeks on them, tried really hard. Got some help from a professor and a med student

Year: 4th year undergrad 

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting for a response!

TIME STAMP: 12:30 MDT

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): MD March 28th

Result: Invite!

cGPA/wGPA:  3.60/not eligible (submitted AEE)

YES, that’s right. 3.60 cGPA!!! wGPA would be 3.90 if they accepted my AEE.

MCAT: 510 (3 attempts, 1st attempt being 494)

ECs: Very strong on the volunteering side (founder, president of clubs, general manager of non profit organization, volunteer trainer at hospital, worked with schizophrenic and Alzheimer’s patients directly). Very weak on the research side. No pubs. Just volunteered at a lab for a few months. 

Essays: wrote them the night before! But must have been strong cause my GPA is terrible!

Year: Finished UG in 2016. No Masters.

Geography: OOP

This is unbelievable news for me. I remember when I applied I had no hope for UofT given my GPA being the lowest possible to even apply to the program! I also didn’t do a masters and have very little research experience. I was waiting for a rejection this week. Actually I had been waiting for it ever since. I am posting here to show you all that you don’t need a 3.99 GPA, you don’t need a 520 MCAT, you don’t need a masters or publications. All those things are great, but if you don’t have them, the game is not over.

Also, it doesn’t matter where you start. I started with a 2.9 GPA in first year and a 494 MCAT. Any sane human would have told me to forget medicine, but I worked hard and turned it all around. I have 2 interviews this year and I hope to make them count! Good luck to you all. Don’t give up.

TIME STAMP: 2pm est

Result: invite

cGPA/wGPA:  3.98

MCAT: barely above cutoffs

ECs: a couple of volunteering positions in community, exec of 1 club, 1 abstract/poster

Essays: i felt these were a big weak point of my application, because i did them all in 1 day with no one to edit

Year: UG

TIME STAMP: ~2 PM EST

Result: Invite

cGPA/wGPA:  4.0

MCAT: Above cutoffs

ECs: Local and global volunteering, Club founder/execs, Music, Research without publication

Essays: Got rejected in 3rd year when I wrote a cookie-cutter essay. This time around I wrote the most heartfelt, genuine essay possible. Spent about a week in total.

Year: 4th year UG

On 3/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, RiderSx said:

ECs: Very strong on the volunteering side (founder, president of clubs, general manager of non profit organization, volunteer trainer at hospital, worked with schizophrenic and Alzheimer’s patients directly). Very weak on the research side. No pubs. Just volunteered at a lab for a few months. 

Essays: wrote them the night before! But must have been strong cause my GPA is terrible!

This is unbelievable news for me. I remember when I applied I had no hope for UofT given my GPA being the lowest possible to even apply to the program! I also didn’t do a masters and have very little research experience. I was waiting for a rejection this week. Actually I had been waiting for it ever since. I am posting here to show you all that you don’t need a 3.99 GPA, you don’t need a 520 MCAT, you don’t need a masters or publications. All those things are great, but if you don’t have them, the game is not over.

Also, it doesn’t matter where you start. I started with a 2.9 GPA in first year and a 494 MCAT. Any sane human would have told me to forget medicine, but I worked hard and turned it all around. I have 2 interviews this year and I hope to make them count! Good luck to you all. Don’t give up.

Congrats on getting an interview! This is really inspiring for me since my GPA also isn't very high like the average interviewee. What do you think really made you stand out the most?

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 2:56 PM, RiderSx said:

That's amazing. Congrats! PM'd you.

TIME STAMP: 4:14

cGPA/wGPA:  3.90/3.97

MCAT: 130/128/130/128

ECs: Mainly programming and graphic design, some business ECs, some volunteering, not much scientific research, few leadership positions.

Essays: Took one month and many drafts. I tried to answer the questions genuinely.

Year: 4th year UG

I had lost all hope until I checked my email today. I didn't receive an invite last year, even though I had better GPA and similar ECs (though I put in a lot more effort on the essays this year). Best of luck to everyone!

TIME STAMP: 4:14 pm Friday March 13th

cGPA/wGPA: ~3.94

MCAT: 128/129/129/128

ECs: Sports teams, volunteering, research (one publication), tutoring, singing in a choir, campus societies, fitness, hobbies like visual arts and photography

Essays: Thought about them for a while but the actual writing process was fairly last minute

Year: Graduated UG in 2019, currently working

Two years ago I got an interview invite and last year I didn't. Really was losing hope for this year so I'm so glad I got an interview!

TIME STAMP: 2:21 pm March 16th

Result: reject

cGPA/wGPA: 3.92

MCAT: well above cutoffs

ECs: lots of volunteering in my cultural group over many years and settings, some research, more volunteering

Essays: worked on them for a very long time; had multiple editors. put a lot of effort into them and really felt proud of them

Year: 4th year UG

disappointed. I felt fairly confident