Premed 101 Forums

University of Manitoba Dentistry Program

Hi there,

I am a third year undergrad trying to get into Dentistry, specifically aiming for the University of Manitoba. If anyone could help and steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. There's a lot of info on here but most of it is for other schools such as UofT. So I guess I have a couple of questions for anyone who knows about UManitoba's acceptance rates, averages etc.

1) There is a lot of talk AGPAs but not a lot about core course averages. If you were accepted or know anyone who has been accepted into the program, do you mind sharing your AGPA as well as your core course GPA? I'm asking because I would like to know if anyone has ever been accepted with a low core course GPA of 3.7 (which happens to be mine lol).

2) I find myself stressed trying to get all A's in my science courses. In my first year I managed to get all A's. In my second year and third year I got a range of B and B+'s. Is there room for error in getting B's and B+'s? or is my dream of being a dentist over because I don't have all A's?

3) UManitoba lists their minimum core course average and DAT score on the application as 3.60 (2019) and 18.50 (2019). This being the minimum, would you have a good chance of being accepted being near the minimum? Some previous applicants who I have seen on this forum have GPAs typically around 3.9-4 range. 

4) Are only the top students accepted into the program? Like those who have high GPAs and high DAT scores? Or is there a chance with those who have a mediocre GPA/DAT and possibly a good interview?

To anyone that answers, thank you for any advice.

Hey!

1) I'm IP and got in with a 3.8 core course GPA and ~4.0 or so aGPA. 

2) No it's not over if you have have some Bs and B+s and remember that if you have 3 or more years, your lowest year is eliminated from your aGPA calculation. I would say though that the average aGPA of accepted students is around 4.0. If you ever have concerns about your stats/chances, talk to Jean Lyon - she deals with pre-dental students/admissions. 

3) You may need some clarification here on how they determine interview invites vs. acceptance to the program (regular applicant). To determine if you receive an interview, they take into account your core course average and DAT score only. To determine acceptance, they take into account equally your aGPA/DAT/interview score. So, the core course average is just used to determine if you receive an interview.

The minimum scores on the Application Bulletin is to give you an idea of the scores you should meet in order to be invited for an interview, which can change year to year depending on the pool. To answer your question: if you have the minimum core course GPA and DAT score that year, you will get an interview. And yes, you have a chance at being accepted with near the minimum DAT score as posted on the Application Bulletin - if your aGPA is decent and your interview goes well!

4) From my POV, no. Not all are the "top" students academically or had the highest DAT, but overall you will have some very intellgent people around you for sure. The thing is that you have all at least met the minimum requirements as far as grades and DAT score go if you've received an interview invite. The interview can set you apart from other applicants. Quite honestly several students very much excel academically but apply again and again because of not succeeding with the interview portion. So yes, in my opinion/from my experience, you can be accepted with average scores and a good interview. 

If you have any questions feel free to message me!

• 3 months later...

I have a couple of questions...

1) I'm OOP from Ontario and I was just wondering if the 4.0 scale or 4.5 scale is used to determine the core course average?

2) If the 4.5 scale is used, how would my school's A- translate? Would it be lumped in as an A on UofM's scale?

Thank you!

On 4/20/2020 at 9:06 PM, leej6 said:

Hey, 

I have a question in regards to core courses GPA.

Is this the intro chems, organic chems, biochemistry, physics, and biology only? Or does it include the English and humanities/social sciences as well?

Thanks!

From what I can recall only the five basic sciences are included in the core course GPA. No English or humanities. I would contact Jean Lyon for confirmation though.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a few questions regarding the university of Manitoba dentistry program. Is the average accepted gpa usually around 4.0, and what is usually the average DAT score? In addition, do they take the best DAT score to date, so if someone had a better score in November than the February DAT, do they take the November one? 

3 hours ago, Denthopefullll said:

I had a few questions regarding the university of Manitoba dentistry program. Is the average accepted gpa usually around 4.0, and what is usually the average DAT score? In addition, do they take the best DAT score to date, so if someone had a better score in November than the February DAT, do they take the November one? 

Im IP and received an interview with a 4.1/4.5 aGPA and 20.5 DAT score (average of the 4 sections). And yes they take the highest DAT score. They also only consider the feb DAT if you make final selection. 

On 5/13/2020 at 11:40 PM, canadianman said:

Im IP and received an interview with a 4.1/4.5 aGPA and 20.5 DAT score (average of the 4 sections). And yes they take the highest DAT score. They also only consider the feb DAT if you make final selection. 

If you don’t mind me asking are you in UofM Dent? If you are, did people with 20.5 as a DAT average score get accepted? 

• 3 months later...
On 1/15/2020 at 12:29 AM, zeej said:

Hey!

1) I'm IP and got in with a 3.8 core course GPA and ~4.0 or so aGPA. 

2) No it's not over if you have have some Bs and B+s and remember that if you have 3 or more years, your lowest year is eliminated from your aGPA calculation. I would say though that the average aGPA of accepted students is around 4.0. If you ever have concerns about your stats/chances, talk to Jean Lyon - she deals with pre-dental students/admissions. 

3) You may need some clarification here on how they determine interview invites vs. acceptance to the program (regular applicant). To determine if you receive an interview, they take into account your core course average and DAT score only. To determine acceptance, they take into account equally your aGPA/DAT/interview score. So, the core course average is just used to determine if you receive an interview.

The minimum scores on the Application Bulletin is to give you an idea of the scores you should meet in order to be invited for an interview, which can change year to year depending on the pool. To answer your question: if you have the minimum core course GPA and DAT score that year, you will get an interview. And yes, you have a chance at being accepted with near the minimum DAT score as posted on the Application Bulletin - if your aGPA is decent and your interview goes well!

4) From my POV, no. Not all are the "top" students academically or had the highest DAT, but overall you will have some very intellgent people around you for sure. The thing is that you have all at least met the minimum requirements as far as grades and DAT score go if you've received an interview invite. The interview can set you apart from other applicants. Quite honestly several students very much excel academically but apply again and again because of not succeeding with the interview portion. So yes, in my opinion/from my experience, you can be accepted with average scores and a good interview. 

If you have any questions feel free to message me!

x

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2020 at 7:19 PM, k1dflash7 said:

I have a couple of questions...

1) I'm OOP from Ontario and I was just wondering if the 4.0 scale or 4.5 scale is used to determine the core course average?

2) If the 4.5 scale is used, how would my school's A- translate? Would it be lumped in as an A on UofM's scale?

Thank you!

The scale is 4.5 and A- translates to A