Premed 101 Forums

Easy A second degree recommendation

analyst

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/15/2020 at 9:05 AM, analyst said:

Hi,

Do you have an easy A second degree recommendation at Concordia, Mcgill, Bishop or elsewhere for medical school ?

Hi,

Like mentioned above: do what you’re good at. The advice of doing what interests you is complete bs. Film interests me but I’d get a gpa of 1.3 if that’s what I went for. I stuck to sciences because that’s what I do best. And subjectivity because although I enjoy writing I didn’t want my grade to reflect the impressions of my grader. I did biology at Concordia and chose my courses to reflect what I believed (after research) to be courses where it’s possible to get an A. I also dropped two courses after drop deadline where I thought the professor was aiming to give the course a tough reputation. And as your second bachelors, you only need 60 credits I believe so don’t do an honour or specialization. I know the idea of hitting two birds with one stone (aka do honours so I can go to grad school as a plan B ) is popular, but if you want to reach your goal it helps to stay focused on it. And staying focused was something I renewed everyday. 
good luck!

7 minutes ago, Float.date said:

Hi,

Like mentioned above: do what you’re good at. The advice of doing what interests you is complete bs. Film interests me but I’d get a gpa of 1.3 if that’s what I went for. I stuck to sciences because that’s what I do best. And subjectivity because although I enjoy writing I didn’t want my grade to reflect the impressions of my grader. I did biology at Concordia and chose my courses to reflect what I believed (after research) to be courses where it’s possible to get an A. I also dropped two courses after drop deadline where I thought the professor was aiming to give the course a tough reputation. And as your second bachelors, you only need 60 credits I believe so don’t do an honour or specialization. I know the idea of hitting two birds with one stone (aka do honours so I can go to grad school as a plan B ) is popular, but if you want to reach your goal it helps to stay focused on it. And staying focused was something I renewed everyday. 
good luck!

One more thing, French schools might give a program like biology major lower ranking when calculating the CRU. This is something you might want to look into while making your decision

6 hours ago, Float.date said:

One more thing, French schools might give a program like biology major lower ranking when calculating the CRU. This is something you might want to look into while making your decision

You are definitely right. I did biology for my second undergrad and despite having a 4.0 GPA, I never even got an interview at French schools and the CRU they were calculating was just ridiculous. I ended up getting interviewed at McGill and getting in.

So, anyone thinking about doing a second undergrad, if you are planning on applying to french schools, make sure to choose a program which they consider of high value.

4 hours ago, Thiepac said:

You are definitely right. I did biology for my second undergrad and despite having a 4.0 GPA, I never even got an interview at French schools and the CRU they were calculating was just ridiculous. I ended up getting interviewed at McGill and getting in.

So, anyone thinking about doing a second undergrad, if you are planning on applying to french schools, make sure to choose a program which they consider of high value.

That sounds like what happened to me as well :) The thing with my situation is that even if I would’ve chosen my second undergrad to yield a higher CRU calculation for French schools, since my first GPA would also be considered in their calculations I didn’t stand much of a chance with them.

Even if the first undergrad gpa weight would’ve been lowered due to how long ago I completed it, I realized it would still bring me down. So I stuck to making McGill my first choice and, as such, stuck to the undergrad program where I thought I’d get the highest grades (since McGill would only look at grades of the second bachelor's and not what program I did, and also wouldn’t consider the grades of my first degree).

Making this decision I realized I didn’t stand much of a chance anywhere until I completed the second bacc, but I was ok with that since it was only two years. Also, after emailing them, they said they would consider the progression if my courses from my first bachelors if it was more advantageous and it was. So in some respects McGill is easier to get into for the developing student.

One more thing, a major in biology or a specialization in ecology are considered non-connexe and are given lower cru, they also don’t qualify to replace the pre-med year. While specializations in molecular and cell biology or biochem are connexe programs and are given higher weights. So not all bio programs are viewed similarly.

4 hours ago, Float.date said:

That sounds like what happened to me as well :) The thing with my situation is that even if I would’ve chosen my second undergrad to yield a higher CRU calculation for French schools, since my first GPA would also be considered in their calculations I didn’t stand much of a chance with them.

Even if the first undergrad gpa weight would’ve been lowered due to how long ago I completed it, I realized it would still bring me down. So I stuck to making McGill my first choice and, as such, stuck to the undergrad program where I thought I’d get the highest grades (since McGill would only look at grades of the second bachelor's and not what program I did, and also wouldn’t consider the grades of my first degree).

Making this decision I realized I didn’t stand much of a chance anywhere until I completed the second bacc, but I was ok with that since it was only two years. Also, after emailing them, they said they would consider the progression if my courses from my first bachelors if it was more advantageous and it was. So in some respects McGill is easier to get into for the developing student.

One more thing, a major in biology or a specialization in ecology are considered non-connexe and are given lower cru, they also don’t qualify to replace the pre-med year. While specializations in molecular and cell biology or biochem are connexe programs and are given higher weights. So not all bio programs are viewed similarly.

You definitely know what you are talking about. I did do a specialization in cell and molecular bio and it might have helped at McGill during the admission process.

Did you end up being admitted? 

44 minutes ago, MDinCanada said:

What a waste of time.

Do something of value and you will set yourself up for a successful career (even as a doctor), not just a means to an end.

I don’t think it’s a waste of time. I like doing this kind of managerial work so for me the whole process was a project. I’m sure there are people out there who can get in directly from college or do any bachelors and get in. But for me Med was what I wanted to do and needed a way to manage the grades, so I found a way that satisfied their conditions, and made it possible for me to get in. I’m proud of my work although a lot of my work had to do with planning. 

And btw, although it didn’t come to me in a dream, I really enjoyed my bachelors in biology ;)