Premed 101 Forums

Office split for family doctors

Been a few days and no replies, and im not a GP but have friends in the field so ill tell you what I know--I've heard mostly 30%-35%, so 25% is competitive. Haven't heard of less than that. It probably depends on your location as to what the standard split is for offices in your geographic area.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, drake19 said:

Was wondering if practicing gps can comment is 25% split with office is standard for family physicians? I work in fee for service office. 

Depends on what you are getting. 

do you get her EMR bonus? Do you get an EMR and any help (ie PA or NP support). How many patients can they book for you an hour? Do they pay for a dictation service?

depending on perks 15-30 percent is the standard 

The closer to a city, the higher percentage of overhead you will pay.  For example, it is rare to pay less than 30% overhead in vancouver, and paying up to 35% is standard as well.  I work a little over an hour from vancouver and only pay 20% overhead.  I believe it is also higher in rural areas as there are rarely more than 1-2 docs per office.

As an aside, most offices are so desperate to attract locums that they are offering very competitive splits (better than the office docs pay) just so the regular docs can go on vacation without emptying out their pocket book.

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2020 at 6:22 PM, Raptors905 said:

Depends on what you are getting. 

do you get her EMR bonus? Do you get an EMR and any help (ie PA or NP support). How many patients can they book for you an hour? Do they pay for a dictation service?

depending on perks 15-30 percent is the standard 

late reply

25% office split and they charge HST

i have secretaries but no other support. They provide the EMR and everything

In terms of EMR bonus - I get an extra percentage for geriatric and newborn patients - if that's what you are wondering.

I don't use a dictation service but when in my previous job Cerner had that and it was very useful

I see about 40-60 patients a day, self-bill. So about 4-7 pateints an hour. I see patients every 10 minutes, sometimes double booked, well-childs and  meet/greets are 20 min.